Is my method of entry into Thailand possible?

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen nothing that says you have to be a citizen or legal resident of the country where you apply for the visa and certificate of entry. You just have to be living or staying in one of them that qualifies for them.

Info can be found on this embassy website page. https://helsinki.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa-started-9-10-2020?page=5f49f4a199a85e260f4278de&menu=5d80876d15e39c3354007bb1

You are stating only Finland. It's stated there that you must have a valid residence permit in Finland. So if we substitute Finland for Cambodia/Malaysia, it would read the same.

7. Foreign nationals (other than Finnish/Estonian): Copy of valid residence permit in Finland, which valid until the end of your trip.

Edited by EricTh

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You are stating only Finland. It's stated there that you must have a valid residence permit in Finland. So if we substitute Finland for Cambodia/Malaysia, it would read the same.

That is a standard requirement to apply for any visa. It is not directly related to applying for the CoE.

Number 13 here does not mention residency. https://seoul.thaiembassy.org/en/content/announcement-on-the-entry-procedures-for-non-thai?cate=5d661cd515e39c3018004936

21 hours ago, thaitero said:

Maby OP would want to consider elite visa access ?

They had problems to get in but now it seems more and more get approvals and in some countries it is possible to get new elitevisa affixed to your passport if elite application approved.

Facebook has groups like Thailand Elite Members - Stuck outside Thailand to get more info..

I also wondered about this given that he seems prepared to go to enormous expense to get in anyhow and would otherwise arrive only to have no means of staying, visa-wise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a standard requirement to apply for any visa. It is not directly related to applying for the CoE.

Number 13 here does not mention residency. https://seoul.thaiembassy.org/en/content/announcement-on-the-entry-procedures-for-non-thai?cate=5d661cd515e39c3018004936

Actually I'm in the midst of this STV/TR visa gauntlet so I think I can help clarify.

For the STV, an applicant would have to apply for it via a Thai embassy in a country (classified low-risk by the TH govt) which they are a citizen or a PR. If for example, let's say you're currently an expat on an employment visa in Malaysia, you cannot apply for the STV via the Thai embassy there.

For the "new" 60-day TR, for the Thai embassies in several "low-risk" countries (such as SK as ubonjoe pointed out) - you don't need to be a citizen/PR (or even resident) to apply. Malaysia was another one (they seem to have been unclassified as a low-risk country recently). Finland, however seems to want their TR applicants to be Finnish residents. I noticed that the different embassies can offer different application requirements.

Technically, these "low-risk" countries could be "gateway" countries to enter Thailand on a TR, but that's only really helpful if one happens to be in these countries now. If not, one would probably face the same level of difficulty getting into them as compared to Thailand.

Edited by 5ilver

6 minutes ago, 5ilver said:

...Technically, these "low-risk" countries could be "gateway" countries to enter Thailand on a TR, but that's only really helpful if one happens to be in these countries now. If not, one would probably face the same level of difficulty getting into them as compared to Thailand.

Exactly.

To get into Cambodia you will have had to quarantine 14 days and will have had 2 negative COVID tests in that time. (If you test positive you'll be confined to a hospital until you test negative, even if completely asymptomatic).

Having run that gauntlet already, you are no more a risk than longer time residents or nationals.

After following Ubon Joe and his sage advice hes offered up all these years, if he happens to read this....

Curious as to your ballpark guess as to when expats could return to LOS without all these current rules-hoops.

Would usually be heading back to LOS before holidays here in the states and deciding on how long I have to hunker down..avoiding yearly leases on apts and using airbnbs monthly waiting for the covid travel reopenings

4 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

After following Ubon Joe and his sage advice hes offered up all these years, if he happens to read this....

Curious as to your ballpark guess as to when expats could return to LOS without all these current rules-hoops.

Would usually be heading back to LOS before holidays here in the states and deciding on how long I have to hunker down..avoiding yearly leases on apts and using airbnbs monthly waiting for the covid travel reopenings

There is not going to be a sudden relaxation of all the requirements when traveling into Thailand, regardless of the departure country. As is beginning to happen, there will be a partial relaxation of the requirements when coming from low risk countries. This could evolve into bilateral agreements allowing quarantine free travel from certain departure points.

For travel from high risk countries, it is unclear how things will evolve. Much will depend on the effectiveness of vaccines. If vaccines are developed that reduce the risk of contracting Covid-19 by 70% and the risk of being infectious by 90% (which might happen by some time next year) I could imagine entry being allowed without state quarantine, just vaccination, and a week of self isolation.

Everything is very uncertain. If, as appears likely, there is a huge death toll over the winter in Europe and North America, for a while, you are going to see a hardening of attitudes towards entry of those from those areas.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

At this time I would not even venture a guess. I would certainly not be until next year.

The only way I could see any sooner would involve the covid tests and quarantine without a requirement for being from low risk country to a apply for the new single entry tourist visa or the special one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

It is very unlikely Thailand will open to US tourists for many months, and it may still be closed this time next year.  No one knows.

Why not try a new country this year?  Many Caribbean, central, and south American countries are open to US travelers.

23 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

It is very unlikely Thailand will open to US tourists for many months, and it may still be closed this time next year.  No one knows.

Why not try a new country this year?  Many Caribbean, central, and south American countries are open to US travelers.

already been to tijuana and im just not in to latinas, the food, or the culture the way i am with Thailand. 

23 minutes ago, FalangJaiDee said:

already been to tijuana and im just not in to latinas, the food, or the culture the way i am with Thailand. 

Not sure Tijuana would be a good example of Latin american countries. You have to spend more time to try the food and women. I spent several years working and living in Mexico and Venezuela and had some very good experiences and memories of my time there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Considering a new place but was just trying some wishful thinking....from being a expat, not a tourist stance

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure Tijuana would be a good example of Latin american countries. You have to spend more time to try the food and women. I spent several years working and living in Mexico and Venezuela and had some very good experiences and memories of my time there.

So if you could pick a place that is priced the same as LOS or less for a guy just looking for a quiet simple place who would be more after the food than the women..not a big drinker either....peace and quiet..getting older...

As Einstein said the key to happiness--a calm and modest life....works for me