Turkish leader backs boycott of French goods over cartoon row

webfact

8 hours ago, Morch said:

So long as it remains on the not-buying-cheese level, yes. If it gains traction and effects bigger businesses (oil, gas, arms, tech and infrastructure), positions and words may be reconsidered.

Considering some Turks attacked some Koreans (iirc... oops!) & closed down a Turkish-run restaurant over the Chinese treatment of Uighurs, I wouldn't be too hopeful about it staying at cheese level.

It would be a huge relieve if the Nationals of all the above mentioned countries would leave their Western host countries ( they have chosen to stay in ) and go home, in order to not have to come in touch with the French / Western products.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Deli said:

It would be a huge relieve if the Nationals of all the above mentioned countries would leave their Western host countries ( they have chosen to stay in ) and go home, in order to not have to come in touch with the French / Western products.

but French/ Western money has no smell

4 hours ago, Deli said:

That would be something like D Day. Millions of local folks would be dancing in the streets, popping corks of Champagne. I'd fly over just to join them. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:30 PM, from the home of CC said:

for that to happen imo it would take a greater participation than just the folks in the  Middle East, and even with the onslaught by social media I'm not sure if the rest of the Muslim world will buy into it - probably will depend on how effective/creative the social media blitz is and how vilified France is made to appear to moderate Muslims. I get the fact free speech is sacred, but all countries usually will put the brakes on certain expressions of it by metamorphizing it's classification into 'hate speech' which can be clamped. My thinking is "why throw gasoline on a fire most of world is committed to putting out" everyone knows France has pride in their free speech (as most democracies do) but to put citizens lives in possible danger over showing naked depiction pictures of a deity to school children, well, the logic escapes me..

I don't think a consumer boycott on the citizen level will do much damage, even if it was upheld in a sustained and organized manner (extremely unlikely anyway, IMO). The only way for this to get traction is if enough of the angered citizens make their leaders think it's a good idea to play this one for the mob. Boycotts on a state level are something else - although, granted, likely to hurt both sides involved.

I don't think that there was any French policy regarding the events leading to the incident. One might say that's a policy by itself, or that there should have been curbs in place to begin with. Don't know that I agree with either, something things just happen.

As it stands this coincides with Macron's previously stated goal of addressing Islamic (or Islamist or Muslim, whatever) 'separatism' in France. Naturally, it puts him in a place where he needs to take a hard-line position, even if it would have been wiser (from a foreign policy point of view) to tone it down. Same as the leaders referred to in the beginning of the post, he too is bound to play according to what the populace demands.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, Opl said:

but French/ Western money has no smell

And vice versa. Don't recall France (or French firms) cancelling contracts and pulling out of Arab/Muslim countries following this incident (or others).

On 10/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, stevenl said:

Turkey is important for the west as access to the ME.

Access how? Are trade with and travel to the ME reliant on land transport? Do European firms require the services of Turkish firms as intermediaries?

On 10/27/2020 at 8:55 PM, John1012 said:

how much does turnkey sell to the eu? boycott all turkrap imports and watch the country implode.

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/countries/turkey/

The EU is unlikely to do anything so rash, especially not during a time of economic troubles (brought about by the covid-19 pandemic). Moreover, the EU got trouble agreeing on lesser issues, so not holding breath on this one.

Turkey's economy been heading for implosion for several years now, which serves to explain some of Erdogan's belligerence.

That's ok, let him carry on.  The more exposure he gets, the better.

I have boycotted Turkey since 2014.  No big deal except the red lentils in the shop are from a Canada company getting the lentils from Turkey.  As for "Turkish Delight," I wouldn't even touch the locally-made product.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, onebir said:

There were physical attacks in Turkey on people somehow perceived to be related to the problem, over Islam-related issues.

You're quoting a story from 2015, and one which relates to a different matter and a different country. By and large, despite Erdogan being the most vocal Muslim leader with regard to China's treatment of the Uighur, this ultimately gained very little traction. 

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

You're quoting a story from 2015, and one which relates to a different matter and a different country.

I people were aware that there had been street protests in Turkey, and I was pointing out a tendency for them to get violent. However, if you feel this is a good time to open a nice little bistro on Istiklal Caddessi, be my guest...

Just now, Salerno said:

Military bases from which to fly bombing missions ... in the ME.

The access comment I replied to was referencing a previous post related to Turkey's economic relations with the EU. As for airbases and flying missions in the ME - I think that there are no EU members' aircraft deployed in Turkey for 2-3 years now (could be wrong). There's are USA and UK deployments, but that's not what the topic is about.

In a country not used to Freedom of speech since the 1980 military coup and further restricted since 2011 by the right wing AKP,

Erdogen off course loses the plot, when being confronted with opinions independent of authority or tradition. Ethnic discrimination has been present throughout Turkeys history.

Well, life is tough, but be carefull in Turkey.... see Jamal Khashoggi. ( He trusted Turkish soil )

• Like 1

I people were aware that there had been street protests in Turkey, and I was pointing out a tendency for them to get violent. However, if you feel this is a good time to open a nice little bistro on Istiklal Caddessi, be my guest...

As was said in my post Erdogan's attempts to make the Uighur issue into a thing did not get much traction. Tendency to get violent? Many countries like that. I've been on the receiving end of this in Turkey, and I've been treated by other Turks with honor and kindness. There are all sorts. Don't recall saying anything about it being a good idea opening a business in Turkey - that's just a nonsense deflection.

2 minutes ago, Paiman said:

In a country not used to Freedom of speech since the 1980 military coup and further restricted since 2011 by the right wing AKP,

Erdogen off course loses the plot, when being confronted with opinions independent of authority or tradition. Ethnic discrimination has been present throughout Turkeys history.

Well, life is tough, but be carefull in Turkey.... see Jamal Khashoggi. ( He trusted Turkish soil )

Well, technically, he was on Saudi Arabian soil at the time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Morch said:

1>Tendency to get violent? Many countries like that.

2>I've been on the receiving end of this in Turkey, and I've been treated by other Turks with honor and kindness. There are all sorts.

3>Don't recall saying anything about it being a good idea opening a business in Turkey - that's just a nonsense deflection.

1> An observation being true elsewhere makes it no less true in Turkey.

2> I'd be interesting to hear what happened, if you care to share it. Agreed there are many decent people in most places & Turkey is no exception at all.

3> It was (intended as) humor.

1> An observation being true elsewhere makes it no less true in Turkey.

2> I'd be interesting to hear what happened, if you care to share it. Agreed there are many decent people in most places & Turkey is no exception at all.

3> It was (intended as) humor.

Don't edit my posts, please.

Your 'observation' cast a generalization is not particularly valid, and in the context of my comment, not very informative. You're welcome to PM me if you want the details, not into derailing the topic further.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

The access comment I replied to was referencing a previous post related to Turkey's economic relations with the EU. As for airbases and flying missions in the ME - I think that there are no EU members' aircraft deployed in Turkey for 2-3 years now (could be wrong). There's are USA and UK deployments, but that's not what the topic is about.

No, it was not. I was referring to military access, which hinders any negotiations with Turkey, think about refugees, human right and economic relations.

Apparently @salerno is a better reader.

i had already decided to let your post go, until salerno's reply, no point in this discussion.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, it was not. I was referring to military access, which hinders any negotiations with Turkey, think about refugees, human right and economic relations.

Apparently @salerno is a better reader.

The comment you replied to was referencing economic issues. Your one liner comment did not expand on what other issues you were addressing. So not so much an issue with the reader, but with the poster.

Further, the original comment referenced the EU - your own post is about 'the west'. As far as I'm aware, the EU does not have much by way of military deployments in Turkey. You want to make this topic about the USA (and possibly, the UK) go right ahead.

The 'think about' part of your post is just a general disclaimer, pretty much covering anything and everything. By itself, not packing much meaning.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Morch said:

<snip>The comment you replied to was referencing economic issues. Your one liner comment did not expand on what other issues you were addressing. So not so much an issue with the reader, but with the poster.

<snip>

Since others knew exactly what I was referring to, no, issue with the reader.

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since others knew exactly what I was referring to, no, issue with the reader.

Yawn.

Even if you want to persist with this nonsense, it doesn't make your post any more to the point. Or a whole lot to do with the OP.

• Haha 1