Turkish leader backs boycott of French goods over cartoon row

3 hours ago, Morch said:

I don't think a consumer boycott on the citizen level will do much damage, even if it was upheld in a sustained and organized manner (extremely unlikely anyway, IMO). The only way for this to get traction is if enough of the angered citizens make their leaders think it's a good idea to play this one for the mob. Boycotts on a state level are something else - although, granted, likely to hurt both sides involved.

I don't think that there was any French policy regarding the events leading to the incident. One might say that's a policy by itself, or that there should have been curbs in place to begin with. Don't know that I agree with either, something things just happen.

As it stands this coincides with Macron's previously stated goal of addressing Islamic (or Islamist or Muslim, whatever) 'separatism' in France. Naturally, it puts him in a place where he needs to take a hard-line position, even if it would have been wiser (from a foreign policy point of view) to tone it down. Same as the leaders referred to in the beginning of the post, he too is bound to play according to what the populace demands.

with the Turkish presidents depiction on the cover of the latest issue events seem to be spiraling deeper into 'see who can hurt the other one the most' with indiscriminate violence the obvious result. Just think of how many 'lockdowned  wannabee jihadists there are out there, just waiting for an excuse to get their two minutes of fame on martyr.com. Though I understand the principles involved, this is pure folly by stupidly risking the lives of innocent citizens for they are the ones that will pay the ultimate price here. Policy, pride, ego, whatever, the folks calling the shots on this at least are surrounded by a security detail, the headless woman in the church had no such luxury..

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Screw it. These countries are essentially saying that they will accept neither the principle of freedom of expression, or the leader of a free country saying how important in the aftermath of a tea

Need to change that to "Islam is the enemy of peace"

Boycott french labeled cheese made in Turkey for the turkish market ( 50%) and  exported  (50% ) to Iraq etc.. . . just do it !

Posted Images

12 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

with the Turkish presidents depiction on the cover of the latest issue events seem to be spiraling deeper into 'see who can hurt the other one the most' with indiscriminate violence the obvious result. Just think of how many 'lockdowned  wannabee jihadists there are out there, just waiting for an excuse to get their two minutes of fame on martyr.com. Though I understand the principles involved, this is pure folly by stupidly risking the lives of innocent citizens for they are the ones that will pay the ultimate price here. Policy, pride, ego, whatever, the folks calling the shots on this at least are surrounded by a security detail, the headless woman in the church had no such luxury..

Is Erdogan's depiction on the cover of the latest issue down to government policy? Would you think it preferable if following the attacks and commentary by Erdogan, that the French government would pressure the media to keep mum, apply censorship and such? Wouldn't that be giving in to ideas foreign to the nature of France? I don't know that anyone in government called the shots on this one.

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Interesting...they do a good trade in human and animal blood. I'm definitely boycotting them 😆😆😆

Of course they do, and of course you are. I'd venture your imaginary 'boycott' would last exactly until your next nonsense post.

8 minutes ago, Morch said:

Of course they do, and of course you are. I'd venture your imaginary 'boycott' would last exactly until your next nonsense post.

I could report you for trolling as you don't appear to want to engage in an exchange of views but act like an insult comic...but I won't; I'll just block you. Have a nice life.

6 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I could report you for trolling as you don't appear to want to engage in an exchange of views but act like an insult comic...but I won't; I'll just block you. Have a nice life.

I responded to your first nonsense post with a factual one. You retorted with yet more nonsense. That's not much of an 'exchange of views'. Got to love posters who announce they are blocking/ignoring others - what is the point of that?

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Is Erdogan's depiction on the cover of the latest issue down to government policy? Would you think it preferable if following the attacks and commentary by Erdogan, that the French government would pressure the media to keep mum, apply censorship and such? Wouldn't that be giving in to ideas foreign to the nature of France? I don't know that anyone in government called the shots on this one.

it's collective flag waiving, and by itself there's nothing wrong in that. But when the energy is directed at insulting a billion people, consequences will happen. These insults were designed to be the most hurtful to the psyche of the Muslim, and they were very effective. Much thought was given to what the religion holds sacred and the best means to desecrate it. At the very least, the soldiers/security should have been deployed prior to the latest salvo (from the magazine) to help to deter attacks. The government knew exactly what's going to be on that magazine cover before it hit the streets, hell, they're it's biggest cheerleaders. The trouble is for some of these terrorists/psychos, their faith is all they have. Some have lost their families, homeland and any semblance of normality from their lives. They are already at the tipping point. I'm not advocating censorship here, I'm talking about mitigating risk especially during these especially trying times for the whole world. But I'm sure the French will just carry on, lighting fires then putting them out - but to what end and to what price for the freedom to insult a billion people - I just don't see an upside to this..   

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

it's collective flag waiving, and by itself there's nothing wrong in that. But when the energy is directed at insulting a billion people, consequences will happen. These insults were designed to be the most hurtful to the psyche of the Muslim, and they were very effective. Much thought was given to what the religion holds sacred and the best means to desecrate it. At the very least, the soldiers/security should have been deployed prior to the latest salvo (from the magazine) to help to deter attacks. The government knew exactly what's going to be on that magazine cover before it hit the streets, hell, they're it's biggest cheerleaders. The trouble is for some of these terrorists/psychos, their faith is all they have. Some have lost their families, homeland and any semblance of normality from their lives. They are already at the tipping point. I'm not advocating censorship here, I'm talking about mitigating risk especially during these especially trying times for the whole world. But I'm sure the French will just carry on, lighting fires then putting them out - but to what end and to what price for the freedom to insult a billion people - I just don't see an upside to this..   

Was there anything 'collective' about it? How so?

And why should we assume a billion people are automatically 'insulted' by stuff? They can't all follow foreign news, they can't all be fully into their religion, they are not some sort of hive-mind. What about the billions of people who are 'insulted' by such attacks, by the restrictions advocated by followers of this religion.

I get the security concerns. I get that it might have been safer for the government to intervene or manage some sort of stepping back. Doesn't always work out this way.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Morch said:

Was there anything 'collective' about it? How so?

And why should we assume a billion people are automatically 'insulted' by stuff? They can't all follow foreign news, they can't all be fully into their religion, they are not some sort of hive-mind. What about the billions of people who are 'insulted' by such attacks, by the restrictions advocated by followers of this religion.

I get the security concerns. I get that it might have been safer for the government to intervene or manage some sort of stepping back. Doesn't always work out this way.

collective by the society (seen with the teacher murder), their politicians (continuing to aflame) and their press (obviously) - and yes, in these 'online' times with cheap phones and internet, most likely anyone that is Muslim has heard the insults. These first attacks were lone wolf loonies, I'll give you 100 -1 odds that a major coordinated attack is coming that has made all other attacks seem tame. For what? To bang a huge pot about a law and a social conscience detailing free speech that is already on the books and in play every day? This is more about ego imo and I hope they find it worth it..

• Sad 1
35 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

collective by the society (seen with the teacher murder), their politicians (continuing to aflame) and their press (obviously) - and yes, in these 'online' times with cheap phones and internet, most likely anyone that is Muslim has heard the insults. These first attacks were lone wolf loonies, I'll give you 100 -1 odds that a major coordinated attack is coming that has made all other attacks seem tame. For what? To bang a huge pot about a law and a social conscience detailing free speech that is already on the books and in play every day? This is more about ego imo and I hope they find it worth it..

So your suggestion is what? Appeasement? Accepting imported religious constraints in a secular country? Or maybe giving Islam some sort of extra hallowed status among the worlds' religions?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Morch said:

So your suggestion is what? Appeasement? Accepting imported religious constraints in a secular country? Or maybe giving Islam some sort of extra hallowed status among the worlds' religions?

Islam is an ideology