Black lines on a Samsung TV

brewsterbudgen

For the last year black horizontal lines have started appearing on the Samsung TV in our rented condo.  It started with a single, fairly unobtrusive line at the bottom of the screen but many more lines have now appeared and the picture is getting obscured.  Our landlord has just told us to "contact Samsung', but servicing for TVs seems difficult, and the TV is well out of warranty.

Has anyone experienced the same issue, and is there a quick fix we can do ourselves?  

Thanks.

samsungtv1.jpg

samsungtv2.jpg

Is the TV yours? if not then you will have to keep watching it till it pings and the tube goes then your landlord will keep your bond to charge you for a new one. That's the feeling I get via what he has all ready told you. He doesn't seem like a nice bloke be warned

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Is the TV yours? if not then you will have to keep watching it till it pings and the tube goes then your landlord will keep your bond to charge you for a new one. That's the feeling I get via what he has all ready told you. He doesn't seem like a nice bloke be warned

No, it's the landlord's.  However, before we moved in we pointed out the single black line on the TV (I have an email/photo).  I think he will be amenable to replacing the TV, but only once Samsung have confirmed that it cannot be fixed.  

There for you need to take it in and probably wait agers after many phone calls to ask when it will be ready. Then to be told that the cost to fix it is nearly the same as buying a new one. I had nearly the same thing happen to my Samsung and that was the result.

Strange that you will have to spend your time and effort to try and solve the problem. I think it is best to get an email confirmation from your landlord  regarding when and by whom the money has to be paid to buy a new one if Samsung can not fix the lines on your old T.V

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

The price of a new TV is coming out of your deposit. 

TVs are cheap now. Try to get it at the current price for that size and resolution, and not how much they paid for it 5 years ago. 

It won't be out of my deposit, as the problem was there before we moved in (he has accepted that).  He will pay for the "repair" but wants me to organise it.  I agree with Whiteman, repairing it will be next to impossible, so I guess I will have to get him to buy a new one.

Does anyone know what causes this problem - it seems it's not unsual.

24 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It won't be out of my deposit, as the problem was there before we moved in (he has accepted that).  He will pay for the "repair" but wants me to organise it.  I agree with Whiteman, repairing it will be next to impossible, so I guess I will have to get him to buy a new one.

Does anyone know what causes this problem - it seems it's not unsual.

what's the size and current price of the TV?

I had a TV repaired last year at a local electronics repair shop around the corner. The repairman had to order an new LED backlight matrix, I think that is the most expensive part of the TV, the repair cost 4000 baht.

I don't think that is the problem in your case though.

Maybe it needs a new graphics processor soldered in or a mainboard replacement.

Edited by tgw

This exact problem happened to me with my 48" Samsung TV after only four years of use. It started with one black line, then multiplied over time. Tried to repair it a couple of times, but never succeeded. I bought this at a Samsung store in Paragon that has since closed.  I had also purchased a mobile phone there, which already had someone's address book in it.  Obviously this store was selling used or defective stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if this TV had been defective when I bought it new. This is exactly why I now pay a little extra and buy electronics at Central, where you can return stuff more easily. You definitely get what you pay for here in the Land of Smiles and sometimes Frowns!

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Good luck if it was me I would just buy a T.V. of the size you like not what he likes and take it with you when you move that is if you are staying long term in Thailand. I would also ask the landlord after you have bought your own TV to come and pick the old one up which you will leave in the office of the rental block you live in. That will get him off his butt he will worry some one will steal his <deleted> T.V.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1