Thai police officers say they’ve been cheated out of COVID-19 payments

webfact

4 hours ago, dallen52 said:

No different from the army conscription program. 

6000 a month. 

Many recruits have been sent home on no pay, for months now.

well they have got to pay for the unnecessary  submarines somehow. 

On 10/27/2020 at 11:36 PM, Pilotman said:

nobody forces them into the job. they go there to steal and rip off their communities. No sympathy whatsoever. 

I'll use the taxi driver scenario as an example. 22 years ago in 1998 the flag-fall for a taxi was 35 Baht, today it's still 35 Baht. They added about 20 Satang/KM to the rate. I lived in Bangkok where I could almost always get the driver to turn the meter on (and I would give a good tip). I found that outside Bangkok it's virtually impossible to get the driver to use the meter.

They interviewed some of the drivers some years ago to ask why they refused so many fares, the most common answer being that a cross-city journey, for example, just wasn't worth it.

You then read stories of people being ripped off by taxi drivers.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I'll use the taxi driver scenario as an example. 22 years ago in 1998 the flag-fall for a taxi was 35 Baht, today it's still 35 Baht. They added about 20 Satang/KM to the rate. I lived in Bangkok where I could almost always get the driver to turn the meter on (and I would give a good tip). I found that outside Bangkok it's virtually impossible to get the driver to use the meter.

They interviewed some of the drivers some years ago to ask why they refused so many fares, the most common answer being that a cross-city journey, for example, just wasn't worth it.

You then read stories of people being ripped off by taxi drivers.

not quite sure what point you are making here, but corruption is endemic in Thailand and is institutionalised to a massive degree, from the highest to the lowest in this society. Market forces should always dictate prices, or should do, not corrupt pricing.   

• Like 1