7 years in Thailand

Pravda

4 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

And Tim Hortons-Timbits!!!!   Get your skates on Gordy You're going in!   Maple Leafs! take off you Hoser eh!

There are 4 Tim Horton's branches in Bangkok and they look pretty damn nice compared to Canada.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pravda said:

There are 4 Tim Horton's branches in Bangkok and they look pretty damn nice compared to Canada.

Wow..never knew that...as soon as I land in BKK im still at airport to fly up north....may need to stop by eh?

Will note the best Big mac I ever had was in BKK......compared to the <deleted> in the states....Kudos to BKK

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Wow..never knew that...as soon as I land in BKK im still at airport to fly up north....may need to stop by eh?

Will note the best Big mac I ever had was in BKK......compared to the <deleted> in the states....Kudos to BKK

It's a new thing. The first branch they opened was at Canadian embassy. Now they have it at Samyan Mitrtown (fanciest one). Sacon mall (strange location) and other I never been to. Latte is satisfying. Ice cap is different. Donuts are different. As with every chain in Thailand it is not directly owned by original company.

There is an article about in English back in January from the site we are not allowed to link.

Edited by Pravda

If you have a place in southern Canada, well you will at least have nice Summers,

You will get your pension when you get to 65, and can start your CPP at 60.

Your wife can become Canadian and qualify for a pension at 65, as well. Yes and

the medical issue is real, as hospitals in Thailand are expensive if you have to go

and stay in one.  My Thai family has told me of how many baht they have had to

pay for some older relatives that have gone to the hospitals in Bangkok.

You can even buy your wife some Winter clothes pretty cheap, if you chose to

go back during this Winter. Only Ontario and Quebec have lots of covid, the

rest of the country is quite covid free.

Geezer

• Like 1

Just stay, your wife will probably be happier here. Just get a good health insurance, if you are not too old to get one. If you don't have kids a pension of 5000 USD/month gives you a fairly decent life here, while you'd only scrape by with that in Farangland. Just imagine penny pinching in the cold with a frustrated Thai lady.

Ok, that's not always the case as it depends on your level of income and on whether her level of education is sufficient to start a successful career in Canada.

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My home in the UK is leased out until November 2022. I am currently stuck outside of Thailand in a b and b with my visa about to expire. If I can get back by summer next year, I'll come for 15 months only, then go back, sell the house and fund the move for my family to the UK. The issues with covid have just shown how delicate life is living with her outside of my home country. Better to bring her and our daughter to the UK. I cannot say our standard of life would be better, but we'd always be together, schools and doctors are free and no visa nonsense. Thailand - apart from my family - holds nothing for me. Easy to leave.

PM me.  I think I can offer you much better than B & B and at very reasonable monthly rent on the lovely Koh Samui and near the sea.

20 hours ago, Pravda said:

And I told wife to start applying for PR. We are leaving. 

Except I can't bring myself to leave. 

I don't wanna sound like one of those posters, but I really didn't come here for the girls. Maybe this is why I was so lucky never to get ripped off. My life here is what many would consider boring, but for some reason I enjoy it every single day. One of the reasons I wanted to go back is honestly the money is starting to run out. I lost 90% of my income due to covid. Yet every time I think back how f**, *** miserable I was back "home" in Canada I get f***#** miserable. It's a vicious circle. 

I hear you loud and clear and it is a serious dilemma to be in, and it leads me to the old cliche, make your bed, lay in it, (no disrespect intended), it is only as vicious as you allow it to be.

I have seen many expats here trapped, mostly living day by day on their pensions finding out it is diminishing with the pound, $ Euor having dropped over recent times, and as the cost of living here increases, they are having to change their diets to Thai style diets to sustain the existence they have wanted to maintain here.

A question for you, was your wife with you when you were living in Canada ?

If not, it might not be so miserable if she is with you this time around. 

The above said; delayed planning or lack of it which appears to be the case here, can put you in situations whereby you cannot move forward, e.g. here you find yourself not having prepared for your wife's PR years ahead in the event of the sh-t hitting the fan, which one always has to take into consideration, as it's part of life's planning, suffice to say it has hit the fan here as well, but I am prepared. 

As I said earlier (no disrespect intended), however if your money is running out, it would appear that you have limited choices, i.e. unless you have some assets to unload here or back home.

As boring as life can be here, and like you, some of us enjoy it, we need to eat and maintain our life styles and have backup plans, a plan B, C, D are a MUST, E is optional.

Unfortunately a lot of expats only look at plan A, which is moving to Thailand as quick as possible to get away from the rat race, and without a fallback positions, some of those who invested their nesteggs, have seen them diminish because they trusted their "loved ones" only to be ripped off hard and fast when handing over their only power, "money".

Plan B money in the bank in your name with at least 3 years worth of private health cover, or be prepared for the public hospital system. 

Plan C money in bank for at least 3 years survival money (including visa extension amount) in the event that you lose your main source of income, which has happened here.

Plan D, money in the bank in your homecountry for at least a year's survival in case you need to relocate to back, it should be enough to cover rent, food and utilities until the government benefits start to flow in when you restore your residency, usually 6 months for medical.

Plan E, run out and buy a lottery ticket before the 1st and hope for the best.

If you have no assets back in Canada then your only choices are to get your wife PR and move back there.

If your young enough and fortunate enough to land a job, assuming you can get a job back in your home country, depending on your age.

Apply for the pension depending on your age or unemployment benefits.

Last but not least, if your wife can get a job here, albeit, depending on where you live and whether you can live on a Thai diet, I personally cannot, or whether she can get a job in Canada.

Your options appear as I said above, limited, however as long as you have your health, and a partner who loves you, your better off than a lot of people are so try and look at the bright side as much as it appears to be getting dark.

Best of luck and better planning for your future, and I hope those who took the time reading this apart from yourself, see it for what it is, no plan B,C, and D leaves us all open IMO, in other words, without that backup, one could find one's self in a similar situation.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

But I have a lovely home that I rent, for about 10% of what I would pay in California, I live very well on an income which is not huge, have access to great health care, at a tiny fraction of what it costs in the US, and do not have to put up with alot of the aggravation that I had to when I lived back there.

Thailand is still reasonable. It used to be cheap. Has not been cheap for a long time. But, it is still reasonable. I know people who pay 10,000 baht a month for newer 3 bedroom houses in nice towns. In major cities in the US? $2000-3800 a month. That is 120,000 baht!

You say your Thai rent is 10% of California rent ........ but Thailand isn't cheap.

You've just contradicted yourself!

UK housing rent would cost 150% of my entire pension income, here it's 25% (and I'm buying the house for a Thai woman).

I can't see any other expenses as significant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You say your Thai rent is 10% of California rent ........ but Thailand isn't cheap.

You've just contradicted yourself!

UK housing rent would cost 150% of my entire pension income, here it's 25% (and I'm buying the house for a Thai woman).

I can't see any other expenses as significant.

Cheap is a relative term. When I moved here well over a decade ago, it was fairly cheap. When I first visited in 1976, it was very cheap! Now, I would describe Thailand as quite reasonable. Again, relatively speaking. Yes, rent can be very cheap here. The rest, between quite reasonable and very reasonable. Anything related to labor is cheap. The house I rent here would cost $3,500 to $4,000 a month in a decent section of LA. 

• Like 2

I moved here permanently 10 years ago and considered most things to be about 1/3  the cost of similar in Australia (I bought a 3br pool villa in Phuket for less than 1/3 of the money I realized in selling my 35 yo semi detached unit in Perth). The AUD has since drastically devalued and now gives me about 1/3 less in exchange rates, but I continue to be pleasantly surprised with the cheapness of many things here.

I still make comparisons to Australia from memory, but have to remind myself that prices in Oz will not have stagnated in those 10 years.

If you have free health care in home country, are worried about problems associated with advancing age, and can't cover likely health costs here, then it may be in your best interest to head home to the life you probably left for good reasons. 

The OP states he enjoys every day here, hates the thought of returning home, but has lost 90% of income due to covid. This seems to be the main factor in his dilemma. Only he can do the sums and decide if it's worth staying here for the lifestyle or go for the boring safety and comfort of the State social umbrella. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KKr said:

pray, do tell me on which worthy platform you communicate and I will read there and learn to live up to those higher standards!

Facebook maybe? just saw an offer for 20 or so kg bags of dried chicken excrement for 25 Baht ?

Chicken <deleted> is an excellent biological fertilizer . Would like to buy some bags for that price , but that price is not real , is it ...? 55