Immigration Bureau reminds foreigners to apply for visa extension before Oct 31

webfact

Immigration Bureau reminds foreigners to apply for visa extension before Oct 31

By The Nation

800_07c0cd126a6b5e5.jpg?v=1603778620

The Immigration Bureau on Tuesday reminded foreigners whose visas are expiring to submit their applications for extension of temporary stay before October 31.

Late applicants will be dealt with as prescribed by the law, the bureau said.

Applications for visa extension can be submitted at each local immigration office.

Terms and conditions are as specified by the Immigration Bureau. Each permission will initially be granted for up to 60 days for all visa types, effective from November 1.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396860

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-27

13 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally wrong and confusing wording on that Nation headline. This is about another 60-day extension for those whose visas or visa-exempt entries expired since March, have been stuck here under the 'amnesty' and still can't get home easily.

If you already have a 1-year extension, you either renew it as normal on the due date or before depending on what your local immigration office permits.

Yes I agree. Their wording is extremely unclear. Thanks for the clarification.

• Thanks 2

Don’t forget to extend your visa! Thai Immigration warns about fines for late applicants

By Caitlin Ashworth

visa-waiver-program-australia-changes-ex

Still need to extend your visa? You have until Halloween, October 31. With the visa amnesty deadline approaching, Thai Immigration Bureau is reminding foreigners to get their visa in order by the end of this month. Late applicants will be fined, they say.

No matter when the visa is extended, as long as it’s before the deadline, it will go into effect on November 1 and allow a 60 day stay. The immigration bureau says foreigners should file an application with their local immigration office.

Since the recent amnesty period was put in place a few days after the initial September 26 deadline, those who paid 1,900 baht for 30 day visa extensions last month are now allowed to stay until November 30, but they need to go to immigration to get a stamp with the new expiration date.

The amnesty was first put in place in April due to travel restrictions and the global spread of the coronavirus. The grace period was set to end in July, then extended to late-September, and then extended again after many were unable to leave the country or get their visa in order before the deadline.

SOURCE: Thai Immigration

immigration-announcement.jpg

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/dont-forget-to-extend-your-visa-thai-immigration-warns-about-fines-for-late-applicants

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2020-10-28

• Haha 1

I went and paid 1900 baht for a 30 day extension with embassy letter on the 26 September.

They made me fill out two sets of forms. One for the local office and one for Chiang Mai who would make the final decision. When I got home I noticed that there's a stamp in the passport with 'under consideration and the date 6 OCT 2020.

Then they announced the last minute amnesty extension, so I could have save the time and 1900 baht but that's another story...

I have two questions though..  Should I have gone back on the 6 October or did that amnesty announcement cover me till 31 October?

I'm guessing that I need to go in before 31 October and pay 1900 for a 60 day extension now? I don't mind at all - was just wondering if that's necessary, or does the 30 days I paid for already start on the 1 November?

You should go to immigration soon as possible as they will most probably give you an extension to the 31st of November . Possibly to the 30th of December .

Because you are late going in you should try the airport immigration office first . I say that because that is what I was told to do in a similar situation .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itsari said:

You should go to immigration soon as possible as they will most probably give you an extension to the 31st of November . Possibly to the 30th of December .

Because you are late going in you should try the airport immigration office first . I say that because that is what I was told to do in a similar situation .

Ok I'm in a rural city though with a very small Immigration Office. I'll drop in tomorrow and see what they say. Extension to 30 December would be great - then I can relax a little and maybe even head down South for a month for a change of scenery.

1 hour ago, itsari said:

I am not sure if you can go to any immigration office if you were given the under consideration stamp in Chiang Mai . Good luck and have a good day

The under consideration stamp was done at my local IO but they had to send copies of the forms to Chiang Mai which is around 7 hours drive from here. Hopefully I don't need to go there for an update!

34 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

If Thailand TAT and Immigration, plus government, actually looked at expats who are still in Thailand 

as stable money for Thai businesses, they would quit all the nonsense of the extensions to

all visas, and just be happy that lots of foreigners are still living in Thailand, but no it is

all about the money, isn't it?  It would be nice if Thailand would make the S T V be the only 

visa needed for anyone in Thailand and make it a reasonable price to pay.  No more borders

runs needed and make the S T V 365 days instead of the 270.

Simple solution, but will never happen.

Geezer

I agree mate. Look at Georgia in Eastern Europe as an example. They're actively trying to encourage expats to move there. You get an automatic 365 visa on arrival. No hassle. If you leave at any time and come back in - BOOM! Another 365 days from entry. 

They even have a program for remote workers to share local office space with companies free of charge. 

Before all of this covid <deleted> started I was planning to move there this year. I've just been accepted into their new 'remote working from Georgia' visa program which requires 8 day quarantine and 6 months health insurance, but there's been another flare up in covid there with 1000+ cases a day - so I'm going to stay here a bit longer and see how it plays out.
PS: In Georgia they even give you a free bottle of wine when you come in through immigration! 

• Like 2

I do clearly recall being told by Korat Immigration a few years back that if Immigration was closed on the last date of your visa (mine being switched from retirement to family at the time) then the following working day was acceptable to renew.   

Never tested it though and wouldn't recommend anyone to do so.   If there is a problem with your paper work or the IO isn't familiar with all the rules and regs. your stuffed.   But in desperation .....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

On a related topic does this mean that Jomtien immigration will be jam packed with people this week or is the amnesty crowd being directed to an alternative location as happened last time?

I guess you would need to go by what did Jomtien did during the last circus? Were they turning people away and telling them to come back a week before or a week after the due date? Udon Thani were doing a bit of both last time but the were flooded by Lao worker applicants.

Best advice is to go and ask yourself. In another thread on this new extension, a member was told by Khon Kaen immigration to come back a week prior to the expiration of his current 60-day (that spouse) stamp but he opined that the IO he spoke with did not seem to understand what he was talking about. Perilous advice!

Also note the wording on the Immigration advice which is now on their website's English page that the extension is "...up to 60 days". The full 60-days is not a given and again, posts in the related thread indicates the usual scattergun approach of provincial IO's with members being quoted prices of 1900 and 3900 for 30-day extensions or 3900 for the 60-day one. Lottery time again!

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK.

I'm confused.

This is the amnesty program right?

If you intend to apply for the usual stuff such as annual retirement extensions that happen.to be coming up, there is no need to do it before November right?

Basically if it's on amnesty or normal if it's a due date go and do it.

I am on Non-O Visa (actually expired in February ), been using Border run ewer 90 days until border closed. 
Been on Amnesty until that finished. 
Got my 60 days extension on 22 Sep. until 25 November.
I went to immigration yesterday, to ask, to be sure...  

Was told I am OK until 25 Nov. Before that,  then come back, and I will get another 60 days extension then. ( but must pay 1900 B. for that)

This is all at Mukdahan.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pubba said:

Ok I'm in a rural city though with a very small Immigration Office. I'll drop in tomorrow and see what they say. Extension to 30 December would be great - then I can relax a little and maybe even head down South for a month for a change of scenery.

Be aware 31st is a Saturday and some Immigration offices are not planning to be open.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jorgendk said:

I am on Non-O Visa (actually expired in February ), been using Border run ewer 90 days until border closed. 
Been on Amnesty until that finished. 
Got my 60 days extension on 22 Sep. until 25 November.
I went to immigration yesterday, to ask, to be sure...  

Was told I am OK until 25 Nov. Before that,  then come back, and I will get another 60 days extension then. ( but must pay 1900 B. for that)

This is all at Mukdahan.

Excellent update, precise details with the all-important location included, thanks.

• Thanks 1

If my understanding is correct, on November 1st everyone must have a permission to stay stamp in their passport dated after November 1.

If you don’t have a stamp then you are on overstay.

There will no longer be an Amnesty allowing you to stay without a valid stamp.

Immigration wants everyone to be “back in the system”.