In this "drought" the last thing I need is irrigation

As has been mentioned before, our rice crop is not good. Water stressed and full of weed. Several weeks ago I decided that since it was just at flowering we would fertilise to get what harvest we could. Now with seed fill underway the provincial water authority decided to flood the irrigation/drainage ditch which runs past our land and our paddies as well. The worst possible timing. If they had done it a month to six weeks ago whilst still tillering I could have used a selective herbicide to kill the competing weeds. There is government assistance for drought effected crops planned. Obviously the water guys can say that they supplied water in their own defence, but I doubt they will mention they were several months late to doing it. I even doubt anyone will mention the timing.

Anyway, I have gone from praying for a little rain to keep things going, to hoping the sun will shine through and evaporate the water. There are storms forecast and all I need is winds to lodge most of the crop. What a season!

12rai neighbour oct20.jpg

12raiklong oct20.jpg

12raipond oct20.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with other posters that, on average, seasons have been getting drier. Certainly, in central Isan where I live, the last three dry seasons have seen less than 75%average rainfall.   I

Over the last 20 years in Isaan the farming demographics and technology has changed enormously. The two quotes above should be viewed from this perspective. Back then over 70% of the Thailand pop

Just my two cents: I see what looks like a trend of increasingly dryer seasons over the last few years. I can't prove it but I attribute the drought to climate change as the most logical and likely ca

Posted Images

In Udon Thani we have seen a later start to the wet season the last few years, but more rain in July - September. It used to be that the ponds were not full until September, last 2 years full by end of July. This year the wet has continued on to the end of October so far, but only light rains. Rice so far is good.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, kickstart said:

You are in Issan ,I am in Lopburi ,this year we are the same, the past 2 months , when normaly  we have the most of our rain, we have had 404 mm of rain ,190 mm of that has come from named storms /typhoons ,very little from the rainy season ,today's storm has so far given us 62 mm of rain, last time we had that amount of rain that was not a storm/typhoon  was back in March 71 mm .

This is the second year with very little monsoon rain ,this area is mainly a corn sugar cane, cassava ,not a lot of rice is grown ,with very little   rain  and the Fall Army Worm, no corn farmer has made any money.

Maybe a bold statement .but somehow farming in Thailand will/has to change less rain reliant  crops, like Sesame seed, Mung beans ,Millet?, more Mung beans have been grown  in this area than before.

I do not now see Thailand at the top of the list of main rice exporting counties , not been they for a few years now, it is now second in exporting cassava, used to be the main exporter ,second in exporting sugar, these crops need a lot of water.

For Thailand the GDP of agriculture is only 8% ,world average is 10%,will any Thai  governments invest in agriculture with a low GDP?, or just let the farmers struggle from one year to another getting more in debt. 

Agree...the (big) problem is that it is very difficult to move from rice to another crop because of the damn paddies (= swimming pools).

Before moving to another crop, the farmers have to fill up their paddies, which is a double challenge because it is very expensive and there is no available arable soil.

Usually when they fill up a paddy, they use the sand-like soil from another paddy.

That is to say the Isaan farmer are going to suffer a lot from climate change, and a rural exodus is probably to be forecasted.

• Like 1

I am really enjoying your responses to my post. Especially those in lower Isaan like me. Let me pose a question to all of you given these are the conditions we are in and the situation is likely to worsten. What are you going do on your farm, adapt, redevelop, what?

Near Surin we have had a dry grow season, almost drought, the storms have brought rain also wind which has now done the usual trick of of laying huge swathes of the rice flat, I expect harvest time is about 4 - 6 weeks away when the sun will no doubt return.

My wife has let me know that the crop will be light, and even if there is enough to sell, at the moment apparently the market is slow. We have a large family so will probably eat and give to relatives this year. At the very least store until next year.

We had for the first time ever to pump out flooded grass land but suspect infilling for a large plot next door where a house is now built has sent us the run off!!

Future plans, not sure, increasing the breeding cattle slowly, for now seems to successful need to build an additional straw barn as number increases. I don't see us moving away from rice just yet.

My wife has suggested we may possibly buy 'new rice' next year meaning 'seed' rice, so I would say she has something in mind. When she is loaded up with the knowledge, information, and costs I will be brought into the thought process for my opinion and to rubber stamp any outlay.

Just the usual to and fro of farming I guess, not panicking at the moment, thoughtful, yes.

• Like 1