Up sh** creek without a paddle

13 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I like the OP have an OA retirement visa which I will apply to extend soon. I had thought of doing a border hop and letting it expire, re-entering on a tourist visa and then converting that to an O. Obviously reason being extensions on an OA will only be granted with 400K inpatient/40K outpatient health insurance and only for the period of coverage. 

All that went west with COVID so I will take the insurance. The OP will need to do the same.

Have you spoken to anyone about changing your visa? (immigration or an agent) If you have the money in the bank you maybe able to change visa internally. Try checking form TM86 Change of Visa.

Unfortunately for the OP he has stated that he no longer has the 800,000 in the bank which is required for a Non-Imm "O" visa based on retirement unless he is married and then he only needs 400,000 in the bank for a Non-Imm "O" visa based on being married to a Thai National and that gets rid of the requirement for health insurance also

Edited by Russell17au

Just now, Russell17au said:

Have you spoken to anyone about changing your visa? (immigration or an agent) If you have the money in the bank you maybe able to change visa internally. Try checking form TM86 Change of Visa

I have spoken to Immigration and was told "cannot". Have the money in the bank etc.. I was told the only change would be to a marriage visa. Again could do we have been together for 20 years but I dont wish to go down that path. 

8 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I have spoken to Immigration and was told "cannot". Have the money in the bank etc.. I was told the only change would be to a marriage visa. Again could do we have been together for 20 years but I dont wish to go down that path. 

Try talking to an agent, some of them might be able to swing the visa change for you.

5 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Try talking to an agent, some of them might be able to swing the visa change for you.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It maybe his only choice. 

I know one local Aussie that went through an agent for a visa change and it cost him 22000 for the change and extension. That compares favourably to what it would cost to have to go back to Australia. Repatriation flight are not cheap plus all the other expenses to come back, but because he is retired he would not be able to return yet anyway

Edited by Russell17au

Thanks for the thought guys but I like my sleep. Besides at 68 the days of self insurance risk are numbered for me anyway. Better to do it now.

It is just a pain that I didn't take the 3 month O visa in Australia and the risk on getting the bank account setup and extending it here. Still with the current health situation I figure the health insurance clause could well be extended to other visa types soon enough. The immigration guys "holiday" is all but over.

Upon returning to Australia you should have no issues applying for and receiving the pension. Returning to Thailand will be the issue though. You will have to remain in Australia for the first two years of receipt of the pension if you want to return to Thailand with your pension. You may be able to take trips of up too six weeks without impacting the two year rule though this is often interpreted differently.

Essentially there is no way for you to apply from OS.

For full portability you must have worked in Australia for 35 years. You indicate you have done this so full portability after 2 years should not be a problem. Though certain additional supplements are only available for those residing in Australia.

The sooner you come back and apply the sooner your 2 years starts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

Thanks for the thought guys but I like my sleep. Besides at 68 the days of self insurance risk are numbered for me anyway. Better to do it now.

It is just a pain that I didn't take the 3 month O visa in Australia and the risk on getting the bank account setup and extending it here. Still with the current health situation I figure the health insurance clause could well be extended to other visa types soon enough. The immigration guys "holiday" is all but over.

The bank account is no problem. Just fill in the form and send to Australian Services and your pension is paid direct from Reserve Bank into your Thai bank account at a better exchange rate than any Australian commercial bank will give

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

There are a lot of people stuck overseas. Many have been unable to return to Australia in a timely way to apply for their Old Age Pensions. While the Australian Government is generally sympathetic, Centrelink is sticking to the old 'need to be in Australia for 2 years before applying' policy.

While I can't comment about your Thai visa status, I suggest you write to the Australian Prime Minister, and Minister for Health, stating that you are unable to apply for the Old Age Pension in Australia because of the ongoing Covid restrictions making international travel difficult and unreasonably expensive.

If enough people write, the Australian Government may well change their policy and allow a waiver for overseas applications. But you need to write now, seeking waiver, so your letter (and reply) is formally date stamped within the Australian beauraucratic system.

If a subsequent waiver/amnesty is issued, then you may be able to make a claim from the date of your letter to the Prime Minister (or the date of your unsuccessful pension application, or the date of your actual pension entitlement, whichever is the latest).

Maybe the Government will not change policy, but maybe they will. I strongly advice anyone in the same position to write in case this option opens up.

I know of at least one gentleman who intends to take his case to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal if his application is knocked back because he has not been in Australia for the last two years.

You need to use any means possible to get your foot in the door.

I commend you for your post.     It's direct and positive.    Some people like to only post complaints some of which may be justified but you offer a positive path to resolution.

Well done.

• Like 1

Just now, Russell17au said:

The bank account is no problem. Just fill in the form and send to Australian Services and your pension is paid direct from Reserve Bank into your Thai bank account at a better exchange rate than any Australian commercial bank will give

Things might have changed. As I know it Centrelink use the Commonwealth and their rate is a few % under market. I use transferwise and save considerably. Plus it is here within a day or so. It also lets me wait for better exchange rates, usually when the baht is going down as the aussie going up against the USD. The baht trading is low and it stays flat to the buck whereas our politicians love to kick our currency around and the swings are higher. Can make up to 2 or 3% difference.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, xerostar said:

Ubon Joe - I need your advice.

I have a Non-OA retirement visa permitted to stay until 18th December 2020.

At my last report I was told to return on the 6th December. 

Because of the Covid I was unable to return to Oz in March where I was going to apply for the pension

I made an application for a pension online in July but they rejected it last week because I was not in Oz at the time of the application.  

With no income I have used up a good part of my 800,000 baht in the bank.

Borders are still locked in WA and I don't fancy doing two weeks in quarantine due to the costs.

What do you see as my alternatives - if any  and what will be the possible consequences?

Don't worry too much about the 2 week quarantine costs. Last I heard about this is they are only charging returning Aussies who can afford to pay, or if you have a pension there are means to deduct from pensions, but people who are flat broke and with no source of income get let off or are greatly reduced.

2 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Have a good look at the Centrelink pages. There are two issues involved: first, satisfying the eligibility requirements for the pension which include having resided in Australia for 35 years during the period from 16 yo to applying. If the total is less then the pension amount is reduced by 1/35th per year. The second is qualifying for the pension to be portable. The 2years comes into this section. 

requirements for the pension which include having resided in Australia for 35 years during the period from 16 yo to applying. If the total is less then the pension amount is reduced by 1/35th per year.

For clarification: There is not a pro rata deduction whilst living in Australia.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Check this website

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/who-can-get-it/residence-rules

To get Age Pension you generally need to have been an Australian resident for at least 10 years in total. For at least 5 of these years, there must be no break in your residence.

If you are living in Thailand then you have broken your residency with Australia. So you may have to go back and live there for a minimum of 5 years with no break to be eligible to apply for the aged pension

they really screw there residents i see sad that. This is not a my country is better than yours post but americans can apply and receive anywhere I applied 2 years ago on line took 10 Mins and all good Sad when guys are in line to receive and their country has road blocks in place.

Because of the Covid I was unable to return to Oz in March where I was going to apply for the pension

I made an application for a pension online in July but they rejected it last week because I was not in Oz at the time of the application.  

Borders are still locked in WA and I don't fancy doing two weeks in quarantine due to the costs.

What do you see as my alternatives - if any  and what will be the possible consequences?

You think you are up s==t creek now

Wait till you get back to Aus and apply for the pension

Be prepared for a stay of 2 years if you have over here for a while

7 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

they really screw there residents i see sad that. This is not a my country is better than yours post but americans can apply and receive anywhere I applied 2 years ago on line took 10 Mins and all good Sad when guys are in line to receive and their country has road blocks in place.

2 minutes ago, Grumpy one said:

You think you are up s==t creek now

Wait till you get back to Aus and apply for the pension

Be prepared for a stay of 2 years if you have over here for a while

My point very sad

I know of people who come to Pattaya from Khorat to do the visa as they have insufficient funds. There is a facilitation fee charged by the agent for the temporary deposit of funds or whatever. I assume that this is availble elsewhere as well, as a local visa agent when no one else is listening.

For the Centrelink issue, my experience was at Cannington trying to get my medicare card renewed, the snotty girl refused even though I met the criteria, I argued the point, the supervisor walked over and told miss snotty to go print out the page she was using (incorrectly) as a justification. As soon as miss snotty left the supervisor told me to go to another office, it would be easier. Went to Innaloo and they could not have been more polite or helpful. So try another office is my reccomendation. 

Cheers

23 hours ago, Will27 said:

Again, this is incorrect.

You do not have to have to be in Australia for 2 years before you apply for the OAP.

You can pretty much for apply for the OAP on the day you return.

You do have to satisfy some criteria though.

Having lived in Australia for 2 years is not one of them.

Exactly, I do wish all these people who are putting their 2 bobs worth in would make sure they have the correct information before posting and causing even more confusion. 90% of the supposed rules posted on here are incorrect. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can get a letter from the Oz embassy which should see you into next year if the Amnesty finishes.

Just by and by New Zealanders stuck over seas  because of the virous, have been getting there pension still paid into there N.Z.. bank accounts. The rule is for New Zealanders  if you are out of the country for more than 6 moths it stops. But I have been getting letter from the N.Z. government telling me not to worry we will keep paying you until the 21st Jan 2021Then it will be again re assessed to see if the lockdown is over in certain countries and the big thing is if N.Z. reopen there boarders