Switching permit of stay based on different reasons within Thailand possible?

Hello

I have a 1 year permit of stay based on marriage now (reason is marriage). Let‘s assume, I would like to switch next year to a permit of stay based on retirement (reason is retirement) and I would fulfill all the criterias. I would like to do that, while I’m in Thailand. Would this be possible? Someone told me, that this is only possible, after I left Thailand and ask for in my home country for a retirement visa.

The reason I‘m asking this question is, because somebody told me, that the retirement visa is so much easier (except the financial criteria) regarding paperwork and home visits. Maybe someone has already experience on that and can also tell about if this is true.

You can do that no problem.

When your next extension is due just have the financials in place for retirement.

800k in bank for 2 months prior to application makes it a breeze. Also 3 months post application and not below 400k.

Many married guys obtain extensions based on retirement. 

Which visa were you obtaining extensions to? A Non O or Non O-A. If non O-A and you change to based on retirement you will require insurance. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Opossum said:

Thank you Ubonjoe & DrJack54.

@DrJack54 : I have a "Non O". And thx for the hint of the financial duration and amount requirements while the 2 reasons are crossing. Very important aspect.

A further point which you may need to bear in mind is that, should you be inclined to switch from marriage to retirement, your initial retirement extension will be dated from when you submit your application rather than the expiry date of your current permission to stay. Could be a material consideration if you have been in the habit in applying for your marriage extensions 30 days (or even 45 days if your office allows this) in advance of the current permission to stay expiring, and wish to continue doing this.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Opossum said:

Thank you Ubonjoe & DrJack54.

IMO you have to ask yourself if the additional requirements for the financial proof for a extension based upon retirement is worth changing to avoid the extra paperwork and etc required for an extension based upon marriage is worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

IMO you have to ask yourself if the additional requirements for the financial proof for a extension based upon retirement is worth changing to avoid the extra paperwork and etc required for an extension based upon marriage is worth it.

@Opossum > UJ raised a very valid consideration.

You are currently already on a 1-year permission to stay based on your original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  Which means, that you successfully met the criteria for such marriage extension last year and are thus familiar with the process.

Obviously if it was a hellish experience, that would be a valid consideration to switch to the easier retirement extension.  But the financial requirements are way more demanding for the retirement-extension than for a marriage-extension (unless you are eligible for the embassy income-letter in which case a retirement-extension is preferable over a marriage-extension).

• Like 1