Trust in UK news organisations tumbles during COVID-19 outbreak: Reuters Institute

snoop1130

Trust in UK news organisations tumbles during COVID-19 outbreak: Reuters Institute

2020-10-27T083645Z_1_LYNXMPEG9Q0OO_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-NORTH.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People watch the TV as Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson makes a speech, at a pub, amid the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Liverpool, Britain, October 12, 2020. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - Less than half of Britain's people trust in news organisations as a source for COVID-19 information, the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism said.

The level of trust has fallen throughout the pandemic and about 8 million people in Britain are now at risk of being less informed, uninformed or misinformed about the disease just as the government grapples with a second wave, the Institute said in a report.

"The significant growth in the number of people vulnerable to misinformation means the UK is less well equipped to deal with the coronavirus communications crisis during the second wave and the winter ahead," director Rasmus Kleis Nielsen said.

Trust in news organisations as a source about the pandemic fell to 45% in August from 57% in April. Daily use of COVID-19 news has dropped 24 percentage points over the same period, to 55% from 79%, the Institute's report said.

While most people in the United Kingdom were well informed significant minorities - around 20 million people - felt neither the news media nor the government had explained what people should do in response to the virus.

The Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism is a research centre at the University of Oxford that tracks media trends. The Thomson Reuters Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Thomson Reuters, funds the Reuters Institute.

To see the full report: https://reutersinstitute.politics.ox.ac.uk/communications-coronavirus-crisis-lessons-second-wave

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-27

• Haha 1

Troll post reported and removed.  Any member is welcome to post regardless of nationality, nor is anyone under any obligation to disclose or discuss their nationality.

Comment critical of a source has also been removed.  If you don't like the article, feel free not to post.  

A study sponsored by a news agency concludes people need to read more news to be 'better informed'. ????

No news here, move along.

And perhaps people are now better informed because they avoid the fear mongering press and go straight to the same sources used by Reuters etc and make up their own minds.

You can subscribe to The Lancet, BMJ etc and read the source material the day it is published, or wait a few days to read a dramatized interpretation by a spotty intern 3 days later.

Edited by Kinnock
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

You can subscribe to The Lancet, BMJ etc and read the source material the day it is published

Exactly.  The people who gravitate toward short two minute sound-bites and simplistic MSM articles written at a sixth grade level don't have acumen or the motivation to wade through university level research papers.  I can, and I do.
The rather inane and unmotivated become rapidly indoctrinated by the simplistic, one-sided news from MSM sources geared toward short attention spans.  When confronted with an opposing opinion from the propaganda they are fed though main-stream media channels, they are entrained to simply mouth the words - "Conspiracy Theory" and all discounted and made well again. 
These same people make for excellent cannon-fodder when the wars break out.
We live in interesting times.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 9:26 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

The news media isn't called "fake news" for nothing...they work hard to earn it every day.

They aren't universally called 'fake news'. That's more of a Trump thing.

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

The name has caught on & for good reason. I'm looking forward to the lefties reaction when he is returned again next week.

I don't know if you recall, but it originally was used by various media outlets to address the flow of such 'news stories' from dodgy elements, often favoring Trump's campaign. It was only later that Trump 'took over' the term and started using it over and over again - usually without much substantiation or cause.

You said it 'caught on' - yes, but not quite in the meaning implied by the poster I replied to (or even yourself). Spin it whichever way you like, this is not a universal term for MSM - but more of a Trump thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't know if you recall, but it originally was used by various media outlets to address the flow of such 'news stories' from dodgy elements, often favoring Trump's campaign. It was only later that Trump 'took over' the term and started using it over and over again - usually without much substantiation or cause.

You said it 'caught on' - yes, but not quite in the meaning implied by the poster I replied to (or even yourself). Spin it whichever way you like, this is not a universal term for MSM - but more of a Trump thing.

I had never heard of it until Trump started using it & like everyone else I laughed. I have wrong since realized how wrong I was.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I had never heard of it until Trump started using it & like everyone else I laughed. I have wrong since realized how wrong I was.

I daresay your memory betrays you. It was widely discussed on this forum before Trump made it 'his' pet term.

3 hours ago, Ed Ball said:

Maybe you might listen to Glen Greenwald, then. 

He has just resigned from the media outlet he co-founded because of activism replacing journalism. You can read his resignation letter here.

In it he says

That's all very well, but I doubt even Greenwald would be as bold as to claim all (or even most) news and news media venues are 'fake news'. Not every 'fake news' story qualifies as 'dissent' and vice versa.

The news media (80% Democrat in U.S.) isn't pro-Biden...how could anyone have such a silly idea...you can't make this stuff up!

Greenwald resigns from The Intercept citing censorship

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Glenn Greenwald said on Thursday he had resigned from The Intercept after the US investigative media outlet purportedly refused to publish his article critical of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/10/30/greenwald-resigns-from-the-intercept-over-biden-article

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/523402-glenn-greenwald-resigns-from-the-intercept

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Of interest to the board from GMB today:

Good old Nig. Rails against the MSM, but isn't averse to accepting 'sponsorship' from The Daily Telegraph to cover the US election.

• Haha 1