Where Can I Buy A Spirit House In Nakhon Si Thammarat

bobrcb

I shall be visiting Nakhon Si Thammarat over weekend 11-14 May, principally to see the house that I have financed for my girlfriend, which is near completion. I would like to buy a spirit house whilst I am there. Does anyone know where in the main city I can buy one and approximate costs? There is no point asking my girlfriend, as she left the area when she was 13 and has only been back for about 2 years, and seems to only know Carrefour and the local market, near to where she lives, halfway between the airport and city. I shall be taking her for a sightseeing trip around the old part of the city on saturday 12, and may even check out the shadow puppet place. I leave England on 9 May, so would appreciate any response before then. Thanks.

On your way to Nakhon from the airport you will see a place or two selling spirit houses along the 401.

I am sure they vary in prices as there are different sizes and some are elaborately decorated.

On your way to Nakhon from the airport you will see a place or two selling spirit houses along the 401.

I am sure they vary in prices as there are different sizes and some are elaborately decorated.

Thank you, Gisele. Only problem is I arrive around 10.00 p.m. and it will be dark. However, my girlfriend lives halfway between airport and town, so it may be close. From memory, there is a bend in the main, where there are a few stalls and an ATM. You find her place by going through a small alleyway between the shops, and over a stream. I will be hiring transport on the sunday to take the relatives and friends to the beach, so can look out for it then. Thanks again.

Thank you, Gisele. Only problem is I arrive around 10.00 p.m. and it will be dark. However, my girlfriend lives halfway between airport and town, so it may be close. From memory, there is a bend in the main, where there are a few stalls and an ATM. You find her place by going through a small alleyway between the shops, and over a stream. I will be hiring transport on the sunday to take the relatives and friends to the beach, so can look out for it then. Thanks again.

the bend is at Fort Vajiravudh (the army base), so between the airport and the fort you should find the place I am thinking about, on your left coming from the airport.

You know there's a nice new resort about 40 minutes from the fort going towards Sichon, on the beach and it has a beautiful pool.

You go past Sapan glai, there will be a road on this side (South) of the next bridge (you have to make a U turn) take that road to the beach and turn left (Chomlei) just an idea if you want to take the family to a Samui like place without being in Samui, and the beach is nice.

Thanks again, Gisele. On my two previous trips to Nakhon Si Thammarat, I have been to beaches which are nearer. First time we went to a very small beach, close to a sea gypsy village, where a German had built a few log cabins and some wooden seats and ran a small restaurant. I recall that there were 13 of us eating and drinking for about 6 hours, and I was pleasantly surprised to get change from 4000 baht. The second time was to a much longer beach, about a mile in length where many Thai families went for a picnic. Again not too expensive. I believe the rains have started in Nakhon Si Thammarat, so will have to play it by ear, but I have copied your last reply, so I will know how to get there.

Thanks again, Gisele. On my two previous trips to Nakhon Si Thammarat, I have been to beaches which are nearer. First time we went to a very small beach, close to a sea gypsy village, where a German had built a few log cabins and some wooden seats and ran a small restaurant. I recall that there were 13 of us eating and drinking for about 6 hours, and I was pleasantly surprised to get change from 4000 baht. The second time was to a much longer beach, about a mile in length where many Thai families went for a picnic. Again not too expensive. I believe the rains have started in Nakhon Si Thammarat, so will have to play it by ear, but I have copied your last reply, so I will know how to get there.

you will be very surprised how the area around Peter's place Sunrise (German guy) has changed, apart from the bungalows they have built as hotel space, there are a few other eateries that have opened up.

I often go to Sunrise even just for lunch as I work not far from there, and I've been going there for years so they are friends, I wouldn't dream of patronizing their neighbours' restaurants.

It had been raining pretty much every day since Songkhran, some days more than others but the last few days have just been absolutely gorgeous in the morning and early afternoon having rain only later in the day sometimes alot like yesterday.

Right now, at noon, it is blue skies, not a cloud, quite hot, just gorgeous.

Giselle. I'll try and persuade my girlfriend to go to Peter's place. I enjoyed it more than the other beach. I recall about 2 years ago, before I made my first visit to Nakhon Si Thammarat, you said that you didn't mix with the expatriate community very much, but if you are in the area on sunday, and see a bald ginger-haired farang, surrounded by Thais, come and say hello. I'd gladly buy you a drink or two to thank you for your advice.

Giselle. I'll try and persuade my girlfriend to go to Peter's place. I enjoyed it more than the other beach. I recall about 2 years ago, before I made my first visit to Nakhon Si Thammarat, you said that you didn't mix with the expatriate community very much, but if you are in the area on sunday, and see a bald ginger-haired farang, surrounded by Thais, come and say hello. I'd gladly buy you a drink or two to thank you for your advice.

Have a good trip and a great time in Thailand

I might just take you up on your offer :o

• 2 weeks later...