Property Conveyancing + Will

Dear folks,

I am looking for a highly recommended English speaking solicitor who can help me with finishing off the property conveyancing work. I am supposed to make a final payment on my apartment purchase in Dec 2020, but due to Covid - I cannot get there and hence will need the services of a solicitor to transfer the property in my name from the other "foreigner". I would also like to make a will for the property in question. I was going to give Siam-Legal a go (not sure if anyone has heard of them). 

Your help will be valuable. thank you

If you were present in Thailand you would not need  a lawyer.You use the term 'solicitor' . This suggests that you are British.

In the regular way yourself and the seller would meet at the land office.

The land office only care that the transfer fees are paid. You only care that your name is added to the Condominium Title Deed.  The seller only cares that he gets paid.

The buyer  must have a FET -this document-issued by your bank- confirms that the monies have come from outside Thailand.

The seller  must provide a document issued from the Juristic Person Manager confirming that the condo is debt free.

No lawyer is required for any of the above.

What you need to do is to issue Power of Attorney  (POW)to someone that you trust.

The person with the POW does all the work.

For that you will need a lawyer. Not necessarily to act as POW. A lawyer is  required to set up the POW process. Nobody can act for you without POW being in place.

Suspect -but do not actually know if a POW is required at the land office- However the bank will require such authority to organise payment to the seller  and issue the FET.

You state that part  payments have already been made.Those payment have to go through a bank in order to qualify for the FET. Perhaps you have found a different approach.

The land office will require this FET . Also they will require your passport. No FET and no passport means no transfer. I think that your passport must show some kind of  current visa-or a visa extension(retirement )

POW can just be friend who is willing to help-also somebody that you trust.

Also

You need to specify where the condo is.

Edited by Delight

Thanks Delight. So yes indeed I am British :).. I have made the payments through the bank and have the FET. I don't know anyone local, so I think a lawyer will best represent me in this scenario. I just would like someone to carry out the last bit of the work, which is become my POA and then help to transfer the title name over. Plus also help me write my will.  Thank you

4 hours ago, stiggy23 said:

Thanks Delight. So yes indeed I am British :).. I have made the payments through the bank and have the FET. I don't know anyone local, so I think a lawyer will best represent me in this scenario. I just would like someone to carry out the last bit of the work, which is become my POA and then help to transfer the title name over. Plus also help me write my will.  Thank you

Where is the condo located?

The condo is located in Pattaya. So I spoke to a lawyer in Udon Thani yesterday and she said along the same lines you mentioned. I need to provide her POA so that she can go to Pattaya and register the title change from the seller to me. Its a foreign to foreign change in title. I got the name of the lawyer from the forums. She sounded nice on the phone, but not sure its enough to trust her. What do you say?

Udon Thani  sounds a bit too far away.

The process is quite simple I expect.

You seem to have the money aspect under control.

The lawyer that I would have recommended has shut up shop.

I cannot recommend a lawyer.

However I know what I would do -if I were in your position.

I would consult with DMC -Inter law.

Some years ago I registered with this company as a back up lawyer.

I attach a JPEG giving basic details. Contact data will be on the web.

Screenshot from 2020-10-29 18-55-29.png

• 1 month later...

Thank you guys. I wanted to know if anyone has heard of Roong Squires Consultant in Udon Thani. I got a recommendation from here as a lawyer. She is conveyancing on my behalf with the transfer of title deed + change of gas/electric + insurance + will. She is charging 40k that for conveyancing, She is in Udon Thani but the property is in Pattaya.
One thing that worried me is that I am going to vest the POA onto her for the purpose of transfer. But normally, I think one has to take the paperwork here in UK to the Thai embassy to get it rubber stamped etc. But she said we don't have to do that anymore due to Covid-19. Has anyone come across this? 

I just don't know if I can trust her or not as giving away POA is a big thing. I just hear horror stories, so it does make it nervous. Please folks your advise will be welcome. Thank you