Why does the UK suffer such huge death rates from Covid?

AndrewMciver

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

And you know that those 361 people would have died anyway do you Doctor?  Are we now saying that its OK for people with 'underlying conditions' to die?  Their health matters less? We should not put restrictions in place because their health doesn't matter?

There's some history in that type of thinking - a certain German 'gentleman' called Adolf had a similar mindset. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by your point of view.

I would also advise you, not that I have any sympathy at all for that type of thinking, that you cannot rely on the term 'underlying conditions' in the way you seem to be.  'Underlying Conditions' covers a wide spectrum of health issues.  I have an 'underlying condition' - its serious but I have a good few years yet.  I am no more liable to die from Covid 19 than anyone else in my age group. Yet if I died from the virus, I would be classified as having and 'underlying condition'.

Brilliant post.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

And you know that those 361 people would have died anyway do you Doctor?  Are we now saying that its OK for people with 'underlying conditions' to die?  Their health matters less? We should not put restrictions in place because their health doesn't matter?

There's some history in that type of thinking - a certain German 'gentleman' called Adolf had a similar mindset. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by your point of view.

I would also advise you, not that I have any sympathy at all for that type of thinking, that you cannot rely on the term 'underlying conditions' in the way you seem to be.  'Underlying Conditions' covers a wide spectrum of health issues.  I have an 'underlying condition' - its serious but I have a good few years yet.  I am no more liable to die from Covid 19 than anyone else in my age group. Yet if I died from the virus, I would be classified as having and 'underlying condition'.

Underlying conditions, not condition. It makes a big difference to the outcome & most certainly the age of the patient is a contributing factor.

It seems that Covid is - in many cases, the 'final straw' as it were, that hastens, & contributes to death, but is not, the sole cause.

Referencing your first paragraph. Yes, I agree, but let's keep all of this in proportion, & not let the media whip us all up into a frenzy. Which is what they want, as it "sells copy".

Edited by faraday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, AndrewMciver said:

In the early stages we were barely testing anybody other than key workers. It is believed we were having 100,000 infections a day at this point. 

Perhaps, but you didn't have 100,000 deaths a day. Surely the death rate is the more important statistic. Apparently the only way some know they are infected is by having the test.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 3:15 AM, BritManToo said:

And I agree with them,

Live your life, accept death when it comes.

It's the British way, always has been.

No its not the 'British way' - its your way.  What a sick way of thinking - fine, if you want to 'accept death when it comes' - you're welcome but you have no right to cause the deaths of others.  So, if you 'accept death when it comes' - let's say you have a heart attack but there's a good chance that a defibrillator will re-start your heart, you'd refuse it would you? Somehow I doubt it.

The 'British Way' is actually to show far more benevolence for our fellow men than you are suggesting - hence we stepped in and fulfilled our promise to Poland in 1939.

There's 67 million of us and I can assure you that the majority do not think like you. There was resistance to mask wearing here at first for example but now the vast majoity of people wear them.  I believe the resistance was because we have not been exposed to such a virus before.  S.E. Asia had faced other threats over the years - SARS and the like - they are more accustomed to taking preventative measures.

There are some who don't give a damn and will party, fail to distance, refuse to wear masks etc. etc. but they are very much in the minority - unfortunately they attract a lot of news coverage so people think they're the norm.

Personally, my thoughts are for others - I feel its my duty to do whatever I can to prevent the spread of Covid 19. In doing so I also protect myself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 10/29/2020 at 3:08 AM, Humpy said:

Because most Brits couldn't give a flying f£$K about the measures to curb the spread.

Have you conducted a survey on that? 'Most Brits'? What gives you the right to make such a claim?  Certainly not 'Most Brits' where I come from.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, BritManToo said:

And I agree with them,

Live your life, accept death when it comes.

It's the British way, always has been.

Somehow, I don't think those suffering from long covid would agree with you. Obviously those that went before their time have little say in the matter.

With views like yours, isn't it any wonder people want to determine their own way of doing things, even England is becoming fragmented.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Somehow, I don't think those suffering from long covid would agree with you. Obviously those that went before their time have little say in the matter.

Had COVID, wasn't that bad.

I'm 65 now, totally ready for death, I'm completely happy giving my walking stick, Zimmer frame, gasping for breath days a miss.

Bible says 70 ....... I don't feel too bothered about the next 5 years.

How old do you feel you need? 

And how bad a quality of life are you prepared to endure to reach that age?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's up to the indivual - fortunately we don't run a compulsory euthanasia programme yet. Herr BritManToo.

I also had covid - almost certainly contracted in Thailand and also very mild symptoms but now having problems with severe fatigue. Many others get far worse symptoms.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Had COVID, wasn't that bad.

I'm 65 now, totally ready for death, I'm completely happy giving my walking stick, Zimmer frame, gasping for breath days a miss.

Bible says 70 ....... I don't feel too bothered about the next 5 years.

Inclined to agree with you. It would be good in my opinion if there were a hotel to "checkout" if the individual wishes too.

Each to their own as they say. Quality over quantity everytime in my opinion.

• Like 2

Late lock down, discharge of elderly from hospital to care homes, lack of PPE.....none of which was down to Boris I hasten to add......he wasn't even involved early on...too busy sorting out holidays, divorce, engagement, new baby....busy time to be fair.

Just now, Surelynot said:

Late lock down, discharge of elderly from hospital to care homes, lack of PPE.....none of which was down to Boris I hasten to add......he wasn't even involved early on...too busy sorting out holidays, divorce, engagement, new baby....busy time to be fair.

Nothing is down to Boris, he's just Dominic Cummings puppet. You know, the guy who thought he didn't need to abide by his own rules.

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That's up to the indivual - fortunately we don't run a compulsory euthanasia programme yet. Herr BritManToo.

I also had covid - almost certainly contracted in Thailand and also very mild symptoms but now having problems with severe fatigue. Many others get far worse symptoms.

I've had to cut my cycling from 20Km/day in one trip to 20Km/day in a 10Km morning and 10Km evening ride.

Does that count as COVID induced fatigue do you think?

Not bothered about when or how you die, I'm only talking about what's right for me.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've had to cut my cycling from 20Km/day in one trip to 20Km/day in a 10Km morning and 10Km evening ride.

Does that count as COVID induced fatigue do you think?

The one consistent thing about Covid, it seems, is its inconsistency, it seems to be affecting different people in very different ways - both during infection and afterwards.

I'm not as old as you and I'm not a cyclist (they should be shot) but I doubt I could ride 20k per day now - unless I rode all day.

I had no idea there was anything wrong until I tried some moderately heavy work. I did feel more tired than usual and had a total lack of energy.  However, back in April I did 2 hours digging in the garden and was completely cream crackered. It hasn't improved either, just last week I moved 10 x 20kg sacks 20m and had to lie down.  I'm no sping chicken but last year I could have done that all day - you don't suddenly become 'old' overnight.

If I do nothing I'm OK but still have this constant general tiredness. Doctor says its most likley Post Viral Fatigue but there's no test.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:52 AM, AndrewMciver said:

The UK have fudged the books a tad by eliminating anyone passing away from Covid after 28 days. Yet the question remains, why are they still suffering from such catastrophic numbers? 

Even in the first wave, they suffered badly. Now onto the second wave, compared to many countries with equal covid numbers, they are still seeing masses dying. 

What on earth is going on here? 

How on earth have these Asian countries like Singapore, or Arab countries like UAE managed to have such small numbers of deaths despite huge covid infections per 100,000 people? 

Is it because they are in bad shape, unhealthy? I don't know. Tell me. I know obesity in America is a problem as an underlying condition.

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

With views like yours, isn't it any wonder people want to determine their own way of doing things, even England is becoming fragmented.

They never had a referendum to see how many agree with lockdown- not very democratic, was it?

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I've had severe fatigue for many years- does that mean I'm infected with corona?

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've had severe fatigue for many years- does that mean I'm infected with corona?

Getting old is clearly caused by COVID.

We should all be locked at home alone in our rooms until we stop getting older.

Once the COVID vaccine is released we will all be cured of old age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why does the UK suffer such huge death rates from Covid?

Because we have a complete and utter buffoon running the country....a third rate journalist and a liar plus a no-mark Cabinet promoted on the sole criteria of being able to say "yes"....Projections for Christmas are 85,000 dead....Merry Christmas?

Johnson and the Tories have to go.

Screen Shot 2020-10-31 at 02.28.17.png

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Why is his choice your problem?

I didn't say it was my problem - my comment was about attitude. He stated he is not bothered when or how I die. Earlier he agreed with another poster who said that British people don't care about measures to curb the spread of the virus.

To me, that indicates someone who doesn't give a damn what happens to others - much like those who refuse to wear masks.  Yesterday on UK TV a reporter asked some Americans if they thought it was their right not to wear a mask - they thought it was.  I am all for the freedoms of the individual but not when one's actions have an adverse effect on others - in this case the result can be death.

The OP asks why the UK has high death rates from Covid 19.  I would suggest that one of the reasons for that is that some people act selfishly, refuse to isolate, refuse to social distance, wear a mask etc. - in general, don't give a damn about others. One person can infect hundreds of others in a relatively short time if they have a lot of contact.

In normal times we all have a duty to consider how our actions impact on others but at the moment that duty is an absolute imperative.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Don't be ridiculous. Thousands of people are suffering from fatigue after having Covid - they didn't have fatigue before. What's your point?

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:41 PM, RichardColeman said:

Below is the age demographics for Thailand and the UK (2018), as you can clearly see, the UK has 8% more population in the +65 bracket, 8% is the equivalent of 5.5 million more elderly people. Fair to say that with 5.5 million more elderly - 2million of which are over 85 - It's not surprising therefore that we rate higher than a country that has less old people - the CDC says you are 630 more times likely to die than others 18-29 group. Think that pretty much sums things up. And add in UK obesity................Basically you take care of the old and FAT - you end up worst when an unknown sickness comes along 

Thailand

0-14 years: 16.73% (male 5,880,026 /female 5,598,611)
15-24 years: 13.83% (male 4,840,303 /female 4,649,589)
25-54 years: 46.12% (male 15,670,881 /female 15,972,254)
55-64 years: 12.35% (male 3,970,979 /female 4,503,647)
65 years and over: 10.97% (male 3,289,576 /female 4,239,992) (2018 est.)

UK
0-14 years: 17.59% (male 5,871,268 /female 5,582,107)
15-24 years: 11.71% (male 3,895,850 /female 3,726,311)
25-54 years: 40.29% (male 13,387,119 /female 12,843,549)
55-64 years: 12.22% (male 3,936,466 /female 4,022,245)
65 years and over: 18.19% (male 5,321,392 /female 6,518,939) (2018 est.)

65% of Covid related deaths in the UK have been in the over 80s - more men than women. The black and Asian communities have been disproportionately affected and as a previous post states this is a combination of cultural and religious reasons of not following advice. There is also a problem for dark skinned people not creating vitamin D due to weak sun light in the northern hemisphere. Vitamin D is very important for a strong immune system.

• Like 1