Why does the UK suffer such huge death rates from Covid?

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

And you know that those 361 people would have died anyway do you Doctor?  Are we now saying that its OK for people with 'underlying conditions' to die?  Their health matters less? We should not put restrictions in place because their health doesn't matter?

There's some history in that type of thinking - a certain German 'gentleman' called Adolf had a similar mindset. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by your point of view.

I would also advise you, not that I have any sympathy at all for that type of thinking, that you cannot rely on the term 'underlying conditions' in the way you seem to be.  'Underlying Conditions' covers a wide spectrum of health issues.  I have an 'underlying condition' - its serious but I have a good few years yet.  I am no more liable to die from Covid 19 than anyone else in my age group. Yet if I died from the virus, I would be classified as having and 'underlying condition'.

Brilliant post.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Richer countries tend to have two factors that massively increase the death figures: 1. Covid-19 mainly kills people at an advanced age or with certain serious health issues. In richer countries, p

Be careful not to add fuel to the conspiracy theorist's fires.   I think that when this is all over, the real figures will be known. At the moment every country seems to tally up using diffe

I have wanted to ask this question since long, why if there are such huge numbers of COVID deaths, are the average numbers not higher?   Am I reading these charts wrong? Are these number not

Posted Images

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

And you know that those 361 people would have died anyway do you Doctor?  Are we now saying that its OK for people with 'underlying conditions' to die?  Their health matters less? We should not put restrictions in place because their health doesn't matter?

There's some history in that type of thinking - a certain German 'gentleman' called Adolf had a similar mindset. Quite frankly, I'm disgusted by your point of view.

I would also advise you, not that I have any sympathy at all for that type of thinking, that you cannot rely on the term 'underlying conditions' in the way you seem to be.  'Underlying Conditions' covers a wide spectrum of health issues.  I have an 'underlying condition' - its serious but I have a good few years yet.  I am no more liable to die from Covid 19 than anyone else in my age group. Yet if I died from the virus, I would be classified as having and 'underlying condition'.

Underlying conditions, not condition. It makes a big difference to the outcome & most certainly the age of the patient is a contributing factor.

It seems that Covid is - in many cases, the 'final straw' as it were, that hastens, & contributes to death, but is not, the sole cause.

Referencing your first paragraph. Yes, I agree, but let's keep all of this in proportion, & not let the media whip us all up into a frenzy. Which is what they want, as it "sells copy".

Edited by faraday
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/29/2020 at 6:14 AM, AndrewMciver said:

In the early stages we were barely testing anybody other than key workers. It is believed we were having 100,000 infections a day at this point. 

Perhaps, but you didn't have 100,000 deaths a day. Surely the death rate is the more important statistic. Apparently the only way some know they are infected is by having the test.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 3:15 AM, BritManToo said:

And I agree with them,

Live your life, accept death when it comes.

It's the British way, always has been.

No its not the 'British way' - its your way.  What a sick way of thinking - fine, if you want to 'accept death when it comes' - you're welcome but you have no right to cause the deaths of others.  So, if you 'accept death when it comes' - let's say you have a heart attack but there's a good chance that a defibrillator will re-start your heart, you'd refuse it would you? Somehow I doubt it.

The 'British Way' is actually to show far more benevolence for our fellow men than you are suggesting - hence we stepped in and fulfilled our promise to Poland in 1939.

There's 67 million of us and I can assure you that the majority do not think like you. There was resistance to mask wearing here at first for example but now the vast majoity of people wear them.  I believe the resistance was because we have not been exposed to such a virus before.  S.E. Asia had faced other threats over the years - SARS and the like - they are more accustomed to taking preventative measures.

There are some who don't give a damn and will party, fail to distance, refuse to wear masks etc. etc. but they are very much in the minority - unfortunately they attract a lot of news coverage so people think they're the norm.

Personally, my thoughts are for others - I feel its my duty to do whatever I can to prevent the spread of Covid 19. In doing so I also protect myself. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 10/29/2020 at 3:08 AM, Humpy said:

Because most Brits couldn't give a flying f£$K about the measures to curb the spread.

Have you conducted a survey on that? 'Most Brits'? What gives you the right to make such a claim?  Certainly not 'Most Brits' where I come from.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, BritManToo said:

And I agree with them,

Live your life, accept death when it comes.

It's the British way, always has been.

Somehow, I don't think those suffering from long covid would agree with you. Obviously those that went before their time have little say in the matter.

With views like yours, isn't it any wonder people want to determine their own way of doing things, even England is becoming fragmented.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Somehow, I don't think those suffering from long covid would agree with you. Obviously those that went before their time have little say in the matter.

Had COVID, wasn't that bad.

I'm 65 now, totally ready for death, I'm completely happy giving my walking stick, Zimmer frame, gasping for breath days a miss.

Bible says 70 ....... I don't feel too bothered about the next 5 years.

How old do you feel you need? 

And how bad a quality of life are you prepared to endure to reach that age?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

That's up to the indivual - fortunately we don't run a compulsory euthanasia programme yet. Herr BritManToo.

I also had covid - almost certainly contracted in Thailand and also very mild symptoms but now having problems with severe fatigue. Many others get far worse symptoms.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Had COVID, wasn't that bad.

I'm 65 now, totally ready for death, I'm completely happy giving my walking stick, Zimmer frame, gasping for breath days a miss.

Bible says 70 ....... I don't feel too bothered about the next 5 years.

Inclined to agree with you. It would be good in my opinion if there were a hotel to "checkout" if the individual wishes too.

Each to their own as they say. Quality over quantity everytime in my opinion.

• Like 2

Late lock down, discharge of elderly from hospital to care homes, lack of PPE.....none of which was down to Boris I hasten to add......he wasn't even involved early on...too busy sorting out holidays, divorce, engagement, new baby....busy time to be fair.

Just now, Surelynot said:

Late lock down, discharge of elderly from hospital to care homes, lack of PPE.....none of which was down to Boris I hasten to add......he wasn't even involved early on...too busy sorting out holidays, divorce, engagement, new baby....busy time to be fair.

Nothing is down to Boris, he's just Dominic Cummings puppet. You know, the guy who thought he didn't need to abide by his own rules.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

Nothing is down to Boris, he's just Dominic Cummings puppet. You know, the guy who thought he didn't need to abide by his own rules.

...or anyone else's.

• Like 1