Jump to content

NON O RETIREMENT VISA EXTENSIONS WITH A RE ENTRY PERMIT


Recommended Posts

Hey guys I have been doing advice helping people return to Thailand on some Facebook groups. Today I found out the latest about people being allowed entry. It may help some of you probably not many but if you have a re entry permit and a current extension of stay based on retirement (Retirement Visa) you may find it useful. Quarantine is still required.

 

NON O RETIREMENT VISA EXTENSIONS WITH A RE ENTRY PERMIT

 

Holders of Non O retirement extensions being allowed back into Thailand, I have been given clarification by Kun Wichaya of the RTE London. I have summarised her response below. Note this only applies to the RTE London at this time.

• There has been a debate about this. People with re-entry permits for extensions of stay based on a Non-O who meet the SAME REQUIREMENTS that apply to a Non O-A visa can now apply for a COE. However, It is up to the discretion of an immigration officer if entry to Thailand will be allowed.

• So to be safe, it is better to apply for the NON O-A visa.

• The RTE London are not allowed to issue new Non-O retirement visa to those who re-entry permit has expired.

• For people with valid re-entry permit (Non-O), they have to submit (1) updated Thai bank statement (saving account) in the last 3 months that the balance is at least 800,000 baht and (2) health insurance that covers all medical expenses in Thailand, for any diseases including COVID-19, both in and out patient patient, at least 100,000 USD for the whole period they will stay in Thailand or at least for the remaining of their re-entry permit.

Edited by jimn
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • jimn changed the title to NON O RETIREMENT VISA EXTENSIONS WITH A RE ENTRY PERMIT
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This clause could be demanding, how would a person get their Thai bank book or statement updated within the last 3 months if they are not present in Thailand? Unless the Embassy excepts printouts

Hi Jim, Thanks for your post. However, I think some aspects have been 'lost in translation' as points 1 and 4 don't make much sense. 1 - The requirements for a 1-year extension of stay

For my visa they accepted print outs from online banking, in my online banking app theres a menu item "request statement" it then gives you a statement for any month you like, instantly, by email.

Posted Images

Hi Jimn,

 

well, thats very interesting, as i would meet exactly those requirements. 

I do have an extension of stay based on my Non O Visa that was issued for reason of retirement until July 2021. And i have a ME Re-Entry permit.

 

I did just apply for the required health insurance and i do have already the confirmation of my existing health insurance that they cover the COVID19 Thai requirements of min. 100.000US$.

 

All other documents are on hand or on request. So i am ready anyway to apply for a Non O-A. However, if they just request that additional health insurance, that would speed up things a lot...

 

I really hope this is the way things are developing. Please keep us informed of any news on that!

 

Thanks again,

 

John

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jimn said:

For people with valid re-entry permit (Non-O), they have to submit (1) updated Thai bank statement (saving account) in the last 3 months that the balance is at least 800,000 baht and (2) health insurance that covers all medical expenses in Thailand, for any diseases including COVID-19, both in and out patient patient, at least 100,000 USD for the whole period they will stay in Thailand or at least for the remaining of their re-entry permit.

This clause could be demanding, how would a person get their Thai bank book or statement updated within the last 3 months if they are not present in Thailand?

Unless the Embassy excepts printouts from online banking.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post.

However, I think some aspects have been 'lost in translation' as points 1 and 4 don't make much sense.

1 - The requirements for a 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement are exactly the same based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa and an original Non Imm O Visa.  The ONLY difference being the mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy now required for 1-year extensions of stay applications based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

>> So that Embassy explanation implies that a holder of a Re-Entry permit from an extension for reason of retirement based on a Non Imm O Visa, would need to subscribe to such a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy (just like Non Imm O-A Visa holders have to do).

4 - If you have a valid Re-Entry permit (from an extension for reason of retirement based on your Non Imm O Visa) why would you also need to meet the financial requirements that are imposed on applicants for a Non Imm O-A Visa?

 

>> In conclusion - Why go through the trouble of subscribing to the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance requirement, and proving that you meet the financial requirements for a Non Imm O-A Visa application, just to have your Non Imm O Visa based Re-Entry Permit approved for re-entry to Thailand?

When you need to meet those 2 MAIN criteria already, it would be little effort to get hold of the few additional documents needed to apply directly for the Non Imm O-A Visa (and enjoy the substantial benefits a Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you during almost two years).

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, how does this affect people presently in Thailand with non O-A retirement visas obtained from abroad, who have not gone out of the country yet to receive their additional allotted year, but have not been able to do so because of border closures? Would we be able to leave and re-enter the LoS (and, thereby, avoid having to park ฿800k in the bank) as long as we did the quarantine and bought an accepted COVID health insurance policy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattd said:

This clause could be demanding, how would a person get their Thai bank book or statement updated within the last 3 months if they are not present in Thailand?

Unless the Embassy excepts printouts from online banking.

For my visa they accepted print outs from online banking, in my online banking app theres a menu item "request statement" it then gives you a statement for any month you like, instantly, by email.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Isaanman said:

So, how does this affect people presently in Thailand with non O-A retirement visas obtained from abroad, who have not gone out of the country yet to receive their additional allotted year, but have not been able to do so because of border closures? Would we be able to leave and re-enter the LoS (and, thereby, avoid having to park ฿800k in the bank) as long as we did the quarantine and bought an accepted COVID health insurance policy?

Unfortunately a border-hop just before expiry of the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa validity, in order to be stamped in again for a full year permission to year, is currently not possible. 

And there are currently only two options for those in that situation.

1 - Apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on their original Non Imm O-A Visa at their local IO.  This has to be done from 30 days before till last day of their current permission to stay date (as stamped in their passport when they last entered Thailand on that Non Imm O-A Visa). 

Indeed for many that will mean they will lose part of even the full 2nd year they could have gotten when being able to do a border-run.

They also need to be aware that on application

- they would need to have a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy to meet the Non Imm O-A extension health-insurance requirement (when applying for the 1-year extension for reason of RETIREMENT, when applying for a different reason such insurance is not required)[

- when using the funds-in-bank method to meet the financial requirements for their Non Imm O-A extension application, they need to ensure 800K THB has been seasoned for at least two months on their personal Thai bank account (a joint one is not accepted by IO) at the moment of application. 

2 - Exiting Thailand before the permission to stay of their current Non Imm O-A Visa expires.  Exiting Thailand is not a big problem, but they would of course have to comply with the requirements for entry of the country they are going to.  And returning to Thailand would of course be far more difficult, having to meet the criteria to be eligible for return and meeting the CoE requirements.

>> When there is no compelling reason to visit your home-country (or another country) and you like to stay in Thailand (or return there as quick as possible), applying for the 1-year extension of stay is currently the most sensible option.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Non O retirement, with reentry expires December.

Funds are presently low in Thai Account,

Sufficient 800,000 in UK account,  have the insurance in place,

 

To gain COE  on the Non O what are the chances of using UK details? 

If going for new O-A how long does the money have to have been in account? 

 

Tough times eh, i have a 7 week old daughter i ve not met yet.

 

 

Edited by Chokdi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Chokdi said:

I have Non O retirement, with reentry expires December.

Funds are presently low in Thai Account,

Sufficient 800,000 in UK account,  have the insurance in place,

 

To gain COE  on the Non O what are the chances of using UK details? 

If going for new O-A how long does the money have to have been in account? 

 

Tough times eh, i have a 7 week old daughter i ve not met yet.

If you are married to a Thai national or have Thai dependent children, you are eligible for the CoE.

Apart and on top of that you would need a Visa to be allowed entry to Thailand.

Your current re-entry permit based on the retirement extension of your original Non Imm O Visa would be accepted based on the fact that you are married to a Thai national or have Thai dependent children.

If for one reason or another the Re-Entry permit is not accepted you could apply for a new Non Imm O for reason of marriage/dependent children or when +50 year also a Non Imm O for reason of retirement or a Non Imm O-A Visa would be accepted.

Note: You wrote 'have insurance in place' - I presume that you are referring to the mandatory insurance requirement as addressed in the CoE for everybody wanting to return to Thailand, i.e.

100.000 US $ covering medical expenses in Thailand including covid-19.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Peter - my wife is Khamer not Thai , that was my first major hurdle months back,  i have 3 Thai step kids - but no legal connection as of yet - 

 

Yes i was referring to the required insurances

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chokdi said:

...my wife is Khamer not Thai , that was my first major hurdle months back,  i have 3 Thai step kids - but no legal connection as of yet -

Hi Chokdi, that means that you cannot apply for family reasons.

And currently your only option for returning to Thailand would be to apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa to put you in the eligible category.

And then apply for the CoE.

Re the insurance I would recommend:

> for Non Imm O-A compliant insurance > LMG Insurance Plan-1 with 200K deductible _ cheapest and easiest Thai IO-approved insurance for this purpose with the additional benefit that it does not require a medical and hence can be subscribed to while abroad

> for 100.000 US $ coverage of medical expenses when in Thailand including covid-19 > SafetyWing travel-insurance _ available on the fly and when under 69 years of age - far better coverage and at lower fees than the ridiculous Thai insurance policies (often with small print/conditions that actually make them unusable)

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chokdi said:

Thanks Peter for the replies- 

So you reckon it ll be a non stater trying to get back on my O visa if i only have funds back in UK account?

Your permission to stay (which needs to be protected by a Re-Entry Permit otherwise it will be void) based on the retirement extension of your original Non Imm O Visa, will expire in December.

Although there are rumors that it might happen, chances are slim that the Non Imm O Visa category for those over 50 years of age, will be added to the current categories eligible for the CoE anytime soon.

In your shoes I would start preparing to meet the criteria for a Non Imm O-A Visa application, which you seem to have already researched.  With 800K on a UK bank-account and the option to subscribe to the cheap and easy mandatory Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance policy offered by LMG Insurance (Plan-1 with 200K deductible), that would be the fast track to get back to Thailand and join your family there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your post.

However, I think some aspects have been 'lost in translation' as points 1 and 4 don't make much sense.

1 - The requirements for a 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement are exactly the same based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa and an original Non Imm O Visa.  The ONLY difference being the mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy now required for 1-year extensions of stay applications based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement.

>> So that Embassy explanation implies that a holder of a Re-Entry permit from an extension for reason of retirement based on a Non Imm O Visa, would need to subscribe to such a Thai IO-approved health-insurance policy (just like Non Imm O-A Visa holders have to do).

4 - If you have a valid Re-Entry permit (from an extension for reason of retirement based on your Non Imm O Visa) why would you also need to meet the financial requirements that are imposed on applicants for a Non Imm O-A Visa?

 

>> In conclusion - Why go through the trouble of subscribing to the Non Imm O-A compliant health-insurance requirement, and proving that you meet the financial requirements for a Non Imm O-A Visa application, just to have your Non Imm O Visa based Re-Entry Permit approved for re-entry to Thailand?

When you need to meet those 2 MAIN criteria already, it would be little effort to get hold of the few additional documents needed to apply directly for the Non Imm O-A Visa (and enjoy the substantial benefits a Non Imm O-A Visa will provide you during almost two years).

 

No Peter you are slightly missing the point. They are saying in the first point that currently people with an extension of stay based on a Non OA with a re entry permit are allowed to apply for a COE to enter Thailand. Now those people with an extension of stay based on a Non O with a re entry permit are also allowed to apply for a COE to enter Thailand. The diffence being here is that people do not have to meet the insurance requirement of a Non OA. They do however need to meet the other financial requirements I quoted and the insurance requirement is not that of an OA but the $100,000 to get the COE.

I hope that explaination makes sence.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...