U.S. cannot shield Trump from rape accuser's defamation lawsuit, judge rules

webfact

5 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I would actually give people until the age of 50 because, once you have children yourself, you are likely to feel differently about it.

That's exactly what I am trying to avoid  - the abuser of a child is probably 30 years older than the child - you are proposing - by the time it gets to court and legal wrangling etc, the potential perp being 80+ ! It's too old for a. the perp to remember and b, for any sentence to be worthwhile 

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

That's exactly what I am trying to avoid  - the abuser of a child is probably 30 years older than the child - you are proposing - by the time it gets to court and legal wrangling etc, the potential perp being 80+ ! It's too old for a. the perp to remember and b, for any sentence to be worthwhile 

Well, look, in the case of child abuse, what matters is that the abused remembers it. They won't have dementia by 50, and I am only suggesting that as a cut-off point. The likelihood is that, if they are going to go public at all, they'll do it far earlier than that. The later cut-off point is to avoid placing unnecessary pressure upon them. That the abuser may be far older does not matter in those cases.

What we want to limit is the ability of people who, in their dotage (this writer is 76, two years older than Trump), allege that some high-profile figure abused them, as an adult, decades ago. This particular lady has a track record of making allegations, that can neither be proven nor disproven, against high-profile men. If you watch video of her discussing the alleged incident, it is very clear that this is political kamikaze by a woman with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I believe we now have an environment in which most people who are abused as adults (21 and older) should feel that they will be supported and in now way shamed if they come forward at the time or, as you suggest, within five years. Perhaps we could even say a decade. After that point, however, they must let it rest. They certainly shouldn't be taking defamation cases against someone for denying their historical allegations.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, donnacha said:

I see. So, it would be better for the office of the President of the United States of America if the president does not deny accusations of rape from random people?

Their position was that the accusation would clearly not have been made if he was not in that job.

It is the same as death threats against the president. They spend tens of millions every year evaluating and investigating the roughly one thousand death threats per month that every president receives. The supposed "most powerful man in the world" draws a lot of attention from kooks, regardless of who is actually in the office.

Elderly white upper class women feel particularly aggrieved that this particular president beat their great hope, Hillary, so, it is natural that some would go kamikaze. Fortunately, nothing has come out of any of the allegations, not contemporaneous notes by the alleged victims, not even witnesses who saw them together. Remarkable when you consider how famous he was even then and how this particular incident is alleged to have happened in a busy department store.

So, yes. If you suffer an attack due to the office you hold, your employer has a duty to defend you.

So you have proof that this was her motive?  And no, it's not the same as death threats against the President. Unless someone is threatening to sue him to death.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As the judge noted, Trump was not acting as an employee since he was not acting under the instructions of a superior.

Good that the judge came to a ruling. I don't agree with it, but that is what the courts are for.

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Now, if you can find such a person in the Federal govt who is Trump's superior and ordered him to engage in such behavior, you might have a point.

Well, I would say that his boss is the citizens of America, because they put him there, but we could also say Congress because both houses, acting together, have the power to kick him out.

Edited by donnacha

From grabbing pussies to rape is just a small step, and although I don't anything about the lady or her story, I DO know 1 thing for certain and that is that the alleged rapist (the president!) ALWAYS lies about everything, and NEVER speaks the truth or takes responsibility.

So, all in all, it is pretty clear cut, I would say.... HE DID IT ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Absolutely right IMO. Any one bringing a charge against another person that is false or cannot be proven should, IMO, be subject to the same penalty that would be given to the accused had they been convicted.

I think you will find most jurisdictions have laws covering the making of false accusations and the prescribed punishment for doing so; many also cover the right for civil action to seek redress as a victim of false accusations.

Cannot be proven is not the yardstick but proven to be false is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Absolutely right IMO. Any one bringing a charge against another person that is false or cannot be proven should, IMO, be subject to the same penalty that would be given to the accused had they been convicted.

This is a civil case. No one is getting convicted of anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1