Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

webfact

1 hour ago, Seismic said:

What about the many big bike riders who have been riding them for years, or even decades?. Again, an ill-thought out idea, with many questions still left unanswered. Another knee-jerk reaction to a problem that does not actually exist, from people with no expertise in the area.

But how would you be able prove that you have been riding a big bike for years?  Okay, some foreigners may have proof in the form of an appropriate license issued in their home country but with regards to Thais, the

only evidence they would have is their existing motorbike license. 

• Like 1

Why is anyone worried? 

It won’t be enforced and even if it was, there’s a good chance 500B can solve the problem at a road block.

I will probably comply, because i find it’s easier to follow their BS rules when it comes to roadblocks.

What is it going to entail anyway? Sitting in the DLT watching a video in Thai or going to a Honda training station, maybe they speak some pigeon English, maybe I will learn something new, who knows? Maybe some practical test where you ride round some cones, do a right turn - it will be easy, because it always is ..
The worst thing will be if there is another computerised theory test, because the answers are so random - then there will be a need for another residence certificate.

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

But how would you be able prove that you have been riding a big bike for years?  Okay, some foreigners may have proof in the form of an appropriate license issued in their home country but with regards to Thais, the

only evidence they would have is their existing motorbike license. 

they have records of registration for everyone, my current green book is 17 years old and in my name

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I nearly killed myself over 40 years ago in the UK on a bike considered to be beginner-friendly. That meant any 17 years old could ride it on L-plates. I did 5 months in hospital and couldn't work for over one and a half years. I still limp like Long John Silver to this day ????

THE NEW TON-UP SUZUKI 250 X7

Some of you will remember it. I'm talking about the Suzuki GT250 X7. It had an incredibly light front-end and did 0-60mph in just 7.5 seconds and still picking up fast. The top speed was between 98-103mph. A few years later, learner riders could only ride 125cc (I think), and they had capped speeds.

Once I passed my big bike test, I realized that larger bikes were much easier, more comfortable, and safer to ride than my 250cc Suzuki. All you have to do is respect the power.

Stubby

X7.png

Glad you made it through. Training never hurts, but like you, it is the young that need to be scared but aren't.

The F2 video above is impressive, but those guys are crazy and also wearing armor that we don't have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaipod said:

It’s not the big bikes you need to worry about ,  it’s the idiots who think they are riding one. Excessive speed on a light 150cc with bicycle sized tyres and under the influence.

Guess what, it’s not the big bikes that will be required to get training it’s the idiots riding one who will be required to receive training. 

• Sad 2