Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

webfact

3 hours ago, Seismic said:

What about the many big bike riders who have been riding them for years, or even decades?. Again, an ill-thought out idea, with many questions still left unanswered. Another knee-jerk reaction to a problem that does not actually exist, from people with no expertise in the area.

Common practices in other countries which have better road safety records. Absolutely reasonable to ask motorbike drivers to undergo training before getting a license, same as car drivers have to. The only issue is setting the threshold at a high 400cc where it should start way below that. 

(Even before this announcement I was looking for motorbike classes simply because I don’t know how to drive anything that has more power than a scooter and I don’t want to put myself or others into danger, so I agree with the direction even if the details aren’t right yet.) 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

The distinction has been in force for ages where I come from and it's a good thing. But back in stone age, when you could get a license for a "light bike", ie. 125cc max, they were already producing close to 40hp and fast enough to kill yourself with (I almost managed that). The distinction would better be made with the power the engine makes.

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

My guess is the 400 is based on the original coining of the “big bike” term back in the day of the grey bikes. The most popular and common, but questionably imported (mostly as parts to avoid import duty), were Honda CB400 from Japan. It was even fairly easy to get an actual green book, although numbers and such didn’t always match precisely. My CB400 book said CBR400, but I paid the tax every year! (Engine and frame numbers were correct!)

150cc was the biggest legally sold new back then.

It is proven every year that the largest number of bike deaths are small bikes crashed on smaller roads in the provinces. Last month a guy we know didn’t make it home after a night of drinking 10 miles away. They found him and his bike in the ditch next to a concrete marker post on a curve in the road. Sad.

Training is good, too bad they are looking at the wrong demographic. More lives could be saved by proper driver training for all! And can that ridculous video!

does anyone even watch that video ?

Last time i was waiting in the Land office, i noted about 16 people on their phones and about 12 sleeping, with only a couple looking completely bored

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

does anyone even watch that video ?

Last time i was waiting in the Land office, i noted about 16 people on their phones and about 12 sleeping, with only a couple looking completely bored

Last year when I got to watch the ‘training video’ again for renewal, some lady interupted it at about 40 minutes and herded us all out to get the next group in. No one protested!

Edited by Kwarium
Typo
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A senior policeman tasked with looking into changes to Thailand's traffic laws has revealed that motorcycle riders on high powered machines must undergo special training and answer more questions to obtain a licence. 

The new regulations apply to riders of 400cc machines and up.

Pol Maj-Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat, deputy of Region 6, said that the changes were announced in the government gazette and would come into force on 19th February 2021, 120 days after the announcement last Thursday. 

The Thai Rath story suggested that riders would need to provide evidence of having been through the required training before a licence could be issued. They would also have to answer additional questions on a test.

Exactly what this would mean has yet to be revealed. 

The government gazette announcement is part of changes to update and modernize.laws promulgated in 1979.

Thailand had seen a great rise in the use of high powered motorcycles in recent years, notes Thailvisa, with many bike companies producing machines in the kingdom.

A previously more niche market has thus become far more widespread. 

Furthermore Thai press reports of "big bike" accidents" now seem to have forced the hand of the authorities in taking action to address the issue, though the actual extent of accidents involving those on high power machines is largely anecdotal.

Thailand is one of the biggest markets in the world for motorcycles of all descriptions. 

About 70% of Thailand's estimated 20,000 plus death toll on the roads is motorcycle riders. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-28

Are the CC's rated by the Geen Book or the Bike sticker ?

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I nearly killed myself over 40 years ago in the UK on a bike considered to be beginner-friendly. That meant any 17 years old could ride it on L-plates. I did 5 months in hospital and couldn't work for over one and a half years. I still limp like Long John Silver to this day ????

THE NEW TON-UP SUZUKI 250 X7

Some of you will remember it. I'm talking about the Suzuki GT250 X7. It had an incredibly light front-end and did 0-60mph in just 7.5 seconds and still picking up fast. The top speed was between 98-103mph. A few years later, learner riders could only ride 125cc (I think), and they had capped speeds.

Once I passed my big bike test, I realized that larger bikes were much easier, more comfortable, and safer to ride than my 250cc Suzuki. All you have to do is respect the power.

Stubby

X7.png

A 'flex'7 exactly like that killed my two brothers due to lack of experience and the power and handling characteristics of the X7. It was an evil handling bike with <deleted> frame, brakes and tyres. My middle brother who was riding the X7 and had passed his test already but only by a few months and was still young and fearless. Unfortunately, that was his undoing and he took his younger brother with him. Very tragic for the whole family, especially my father who never forgave himself for letting them ride motorcycles. Youth and motorcycles are a dangerous combination and those of us who survived,  can put this down mostly to good luck. I'm all for training and limiting the power/cc  licenses of new riders, especially younger ones. It won't work in every case but I think having an instructor with the correct balance of enjoying motorcycling and instilling the correct riding attitude in new riders does help somewhat. Definitely an improvement to what we have now in Thailand and a good step by the government. That said, given the lack of enforcement, I think most Thai big bike riders are restrained and mature compared to how I was at their age.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, taninthai said:

So probably around 200 big bike deaths and 16,000 scooter deaths and yet they still see the problem as big bike riders.....Thailand’s road carnage never gonna end

Quite agree .I ride a 1000c.BMW, it like handling a baby . Never been on a scooter I think there unsafe .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mr mr said:

awesome. so i can continue riding like a maniac on my duke 390. 

Yes.So we have to take a test, in English I hope? And are they going to teach us how to ride? They sure as hell never tested the small bike owners very good as most don't know whether they are riding on the street or on the sidewalk. You will be ok on your 390 Duke but I will have fun on my CBR650f. It's kind of crazy as I have been riding big bikes for over 50 years.20 years in Thailand with out a accident.

• Like 2

I'm an experienced MC of many years. Started on a 250cc, advanced to a 500cc now I ride a 1000 cc BMW.

The scary thing to me is how many people are on the bike in Thailand. Insurance becomes null and void of more the two people on the motor cycle . Same with any vehicle e.g. A four seater car carrying five people .A pick up carrying people in the back of it.  It's classed as a good vehicle ,not a passenger carrying vehicle. Insurance becomes null and void. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I'm an experienced MC of many years. Started on a 250cc, advanced to a 500cc now I ride a 1000 cc BMW.

The scary thing to me is how many people are on the bike in Thailand. Insurance becomes null and void of more the two people on the motor cycle . Same with any vehicle e.g. A four seater car carrying five people .A pick up carrying people in the back of it.  It's classed as a good vehicle ,not a passenger carrying vehicle. Insurance becomes null and void. 

Most vehicles only have the compulsory insurance, and this insurance doesn't become void.

• Like 1

Gradient licensing would be acceptable in my book, but it needs to be uniform in it's enforcement.  This morning on my way out, I again saw not only motorbikes on the sidewalks getting around the traffic, but the Motorcycle Taxis also driving on the sidewalk and going the wrong way of the flowing traffic.  What a bunch of Dumbarses, and yet here at Sathorn and Rama 4 there is a police box where it was being done right in there faces and no reaction or enforcement.

Makes me wonder if they should not just start a new license program called the Free Ride License, where the operators get to wear clown uniforms.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Cant see risking my life on a motorcycle anymore, especially here in LOS. 

Did not work for 45 years to retire and "go fast".  Speed kills, and bones and bruises heal much slower in your later years

Used to love motorcycling out on the open roads in Arizona on my BMW R75 in my 30's.  Had a few other bikes earlier in life as well.  Been there done that

Like many things in life, you move on and find your "thrills" elsewhere.  

Of course to each their own. 

As the great philosopher and guitarist once sang, "Life in the fast lane, Surely make you lose your mind" ????✌️

• Like 1

Now they have 2 different prices for the ferries to Koh Chang, up to 125 cc and over.

Then they can install a new one for over 400cc, will be more expensive than a car then.

Statistics about the number of accidents where powerfull motorbikes involved in versus small ones up to 150 cc compared to the total number of bikes in that range would be interesting, never seen anything like this.

On the other hand, those brainless idiots that act like the road is theirs and even try to push smaller bikes off the road might well shoot themselves off the roads.

I am riding motorbikes now for 16 years in Thailand and all critical situations were with ordinary small bikes, except 1.

They make Ducatis , Harleys and Big BM’s here.  Maybe other makes of big bike too .Not just scooters . Bikes up to 1250 cc and more .So the member who said the biggest made bike in LOS was 300 cc is way off beam 

I have been riding big bikes for over 50 years and still own four here  three of them 1000cc and over,covering high mileage every year . What is the examiner going to know that I don’t ?

I ride safely and wear the best gear .

Best  guess is that the examiner will never  have ridden a big bike at all ????

Only way to test riding skills is to follow a rider for 50 kms or more under a variety  of road conditions . Not going to happen is it ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So lets take a look at the Yamaha MT-15, it is only a 155CC bike, yet can do 140 Km/H. Enough torque and 6 speeds to accelerate as fast as a larger bike and yet would not be considered a big bike.  

I'm sorry but an MT-15 is just a toy compared to big bikes (I ride an MT-09). This being said, ofc it's fast enough to kill people. But so are scooters (big and small).

There was also talk about not only cc but also hp, so it's possible the Ninja 400 will be considered a big bike.

Anyway, as always in Thailand, not much will change. ????

• Like 1

49 cc and below, max 2 hp temper proof = only theory test needed, from 16 yo

50 - 125 cc = theory and practical test, 18+ yo

126 - 399 cc = expanded test, or 3 years on a 125 cc, clean record + theory test

400+ cc = 3 years on a 126 - 399 cc machine, clean record, no further test

Just when you think this country could not get any worse they come out with this ridiculous idea, how is making people have a big bike licence going to stop road deaths?  The Police will still be non existent and even if you do see the rare police they still do nothing, it's impossible to police the roads when the Police are drinking tea!! all bikes here including scooters are fast, unbelievable!!! 

• Like 1