Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about the many big bike riders who have been riding them for years, or even decades?. Again, an ill-thought out idea, with many questions still left unanswered. Another knee-jerk reaction to a pr

Begin with an IQ test, that would filter out quite a few. 

So lets take a look at the Yamaha MT-15, it is only a 155CC bike, yet can do 140 Km/H. Enough torque and 6 speeds to accelerate as fast as a larger bike and yet would not be considered a big bike.  Yo

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Seismic said:

What about the many big bike riders who have been riding them for years, or even decades?. Again, an ill-thought out idea, with many questions still left unanswered. Another knee-jerk reaction to a problem that does not actually exist, from people with no expertise in the area.

As the article says, 70% of Thailand’s huge road death toll is from motorcycles. Additional requirements and testing is one way the authorities can address the issue. They could also enforce the wearing of better safety gear including full face helmets and protective clothing.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

motorcycle riders on high powered machines must undergo special training and answer more questions to obtain a licence. 

What you will do with the lower powered machines? They are the real killers on the road.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, SS1 said:

Assuming the light changes green, what's wrong with that? The bigger problem is those cutting corners in the intersection, running red lights etc - which are mostly little 110cc motorbikes.  But yeah, cops sit in their box and don't give a s**t. 

On average big bike riders ride much better than the small motorbikes. Of course there are exceptions too. 

"Assuming the light changes green, what's wrong with that?" - since the reaction of most road users here is to speed up, not slow down, when approaching a junction where the lights are counting down 3...2...1... and they know that red will be either "275" or, even worse, the dreaded "- - -" no time showing, so could be 5 minutes, dumping the clutch and burning rubber to be first off a green light is asking to be side-swiped. I always let some little guys on their Scoopys go first for that reason.

"On average big bike riders ride much better than the small motorbikes" - not really. It's just that it's harder to be an annoying <deleted> in Bangkok traffic on a big bike because many gaps are too tight. 

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really have to wonder at what level of thinking the country is doing when it comes to calling a 400CC and over a big bike.

You know how Thailand thinks... more zeros more result.

• Thanks 1

Just use an International Licence, I'm from England, we have had CBT and restrictions in place for years, I've been riding and driving in Thailand for 16 years with an International, never had a problem (and riden high power bikes since I was tall enough to touch the ground when stationary) it's really just a translation of your native licence.  I don't ever intend getting a Thai licence.......

I should imagine that there are a very small number of big bike accidents here compared to small bikes. The accidents aren't caused by the bikes but by the brain-dead riders. Talking of brain-dead, the authorities here will do anything rather than ask for advice from countries with low accident rates how to reduce road deaths here. This is just another hairbrained scheme that's going to have zero effect on road safety, but is going to pee a lot of people about.

Edited by jesimps
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am sitting in my love nest right now on Sukhumvit right next to Asok BTS.

When the light changes bikes like Kawasaki 1000 cc take off as fast as possible.

I mean they are really haulin' ***.

not a cop in sight. 

and that is why this BS will never change.

Wow, 5 minute walk to Soi Cowboy. Nice!

• Haha 1

Almost every morning I sit outside with my coffee on the bar street in Ban Chang.  Watching the big trucks speeding by, passing within an intersection, driving on the wrong side of the road and so much more.  Then there are the motorbikes.  Not big 400 cc bikes but most likely 125 cc and less.  Very young boys likely underaged, unlicensed and uninsured popping wheelies as they go speeding down the road.  And, let's not forget the modified exhaust systems that prevent anyone nearby from having a normal conversation.  Some law enforcement just to keep people from killing themselves is drastically needed along this road but never a policeman in sight.

• Like 1

What about those of us farangs that have been riding big bikes for years and passed the required tests, in our country of origin, before we came to Thailand and have the licence to prove it.  Any ideas where we stand?

• Like 1