Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

webfact

On 8/9/2020 at 3:48 PM, colinneil said:
11 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Who is going to train the Thai trainers? :whistling:

I have been riding 500cc and up for 50 years. France licensed me to moto 1,800 cc no questions asked, with just a USA bike liscence. But some 28 year old kid with merit badges will have to train me after I ride up on my Harley???  Bet yah the kids never cold kick started a 1200cc stroker.

Edited by animatic
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Out of all heavy accidents including motorbikes that I have seen, a good 95% were Honda Clicks and the like, especially pimped-up idiot bikes with bicycle wheels and all parts deemed "unnecessary" (including lights) removed by the owner. I ride a 1.300cc bike now and (touch wood) had no accidents here in almost 30 years Thailand, and all the bikers I know and call my friends are driving much more civilised and are a 1.000.000 times more alert and able to ride than those "Wai Loon" jerks who believe that a wheelie performed on a 120cc scooter will open up all pussy available in the world to them... Or how about the half blind moms and pops on their illegal side cars with no lights, brakes, etc... pulling right into moving traffic without looking? Or how about the thousands of scooters without lights at night??? The millions of scooters giving a rat's behind about red lights??? Oh man, really have had it with all those idiotic knee jerk reactions from this so-called "government"... 

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Haha 1

So how do we sort the professional bike riders out from the Thais?

My Australian and UK licenses are notated full bike in other words unrestricted. 

The thai license says bike with a symbol. 

Could be a 50cc .

Would be too simple to front the DLT and have a new endorsement added.

Probably need a new test.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Extra Questions  for people who ride high powered bikes?  The questions would go like this 1/ What is that you are riding? - A pick-up PASS 2/  Do you have to wear a helmet when riding a bike? - Yes but the cops dont enforce it so i dont PASS 3/ What is the speed limit you suppose to ride at  Flat to the boards PASS  4/ How many people can you have on the bike?  As many as you can fit PASS 5/ Which side of the road do you ride on ? Any side PASS

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Good lord you guys should listen to yourselves?

Professional riders? Oh so foreigners are in the RTP on motorway patrol?

Nobody posting on here was young and stupid?

Never kick started a 1800cc bike. Who the <deleted> rides a 1800cc bike? Are they used for pulling stumps or for people who have a phallic problem?

What about bikes with less than 400cc that produce more than 35 Kw?

..and no one on here is actually responsible for road safety. Just chill and enjoy the sunshine and palm trees.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

An average of 66 people a day die on Thailand's roads. That's six football teams wiped out. Every day.

70% of these are motorbike riders. To reduce these world class numbers all categories of motorbike rider need proper instruction, training, testing and licensing. Road Traffic Laws must be enforced. And common causes of accidents, especially overtaking on the inside, must be discouraged through education. 

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Why not start with training any motorbike rider and enforcing existing laws? I saw three teenagers riding on Phaholyothin Road at Ari on Sunday. The insanely loud exhaust drew my attention. Three persons on one bike (150cc at most), speeding fast through heavy traffic and not one of them was wearing a helmet. I was expecting to hear a crash.

3 is that all I saw one of those Honda 125s with 3 adults and 2 kids on it 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Wouldn't  work , they haven't a  clue how a roundabout works.

So true. As a Brit I'm well accustomed to roundabouts and we drive on the left too. Roundabouts in Thailand are fraught with danger as some Thais will give way when they have right of way and some will go when they shouldn't. As a result one never knows what to expect. Thankfully there are relatively few roundabouts here. 

12 hours ago, Cashboy said:

Certainly different now, Thailand manufacture:

all Honda motorbikes up to and including the 750cc for the world market.

about 50% of Triumph motorbikes for the world market.

most of the Harley Davidson motorbikes for Asian market

Ducati and BMW motorbikes are also assembled in Thailand for the Asian market.

I believe that Thailand may well be the largest manufacturer/assembler of motorbikes in the world.

India beats it by a country mile

14 hours ago, Seismic said:

What about the many big bike riders who have been riding them for years, or even decades?. Again, an ill-thought out idea, with many questions still left unanswered. Another knee-jerk reaction to a problem that does not actually exist, from people with no expertise in the area.

If you havr been riding a big bike for months or even decades a simple test should not be an issue.

Edited by n00dle

Those you try moving the laws will get as required.. the others think

law doesn’t apply just won’t get a 400 cc and up license. 

Would be interesting to know approximately how many 400cc

and up have been sold vs lower cc....

My personal opinion I could get more infractions on 400cc than

i would on my HD Streetglide 

8 hours ago, solent01 said:

Just use an International Licence, I'm from England, we have had CBT and restrictions in place for years, I've been riding and driving in Thailand for 16 years with an International, never had a problem (and riden high power bikes since I was tall enough to touch the ground when stationary) it's really just a translation of your native licence.  I don't ever intend getting a Thai licence.......

IDP is good for 60 or 90 days only - depending on your visa. 

8 hours ago, solent01 said:

Just use an International Licence, I'm from England, we have had CBT and restrictions in place for years, I've been riding and driving in Thailand for 16 years with an International, never had a problem (and riden high power bikes since I was tall enough to touch the ground when stationary) it's really just a translation of your native licence.  I don't ever intend getting a Thai licence.......

Then if you have been driving for more than three months, on each separate occasion you visit, you have been driving/riding illegally and without insurance, hotshot.  But I guess you think that is clever?

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Exactly what this would mean has yet to be revealed. 

There you have it: just make it up as you lurch and stumble forward.

Guess this means more bribes for the BIB.

Nothing will ever change here. There is no profit in safety.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikosan said:

Then if you have been driving for more than three months, on each separate occasion you visit, you have been driving/riding illegally and without insurance, hotshot.  But I guess you think that is clever?

So in effect like many Thais  who don't even have the basic insurance which let's  face it is a sad  joke anyway and offers  virtually zero help to any third party, but I bet he at least wears a helmet unlike the vast majority and has working lights, doesn't ride 3   up drive down the sidewalks etc etc The training he will have received in the UK far outweighs the comedy laws here.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

"Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

Considering the number of injuries & fatalities concerning bikes of all sizes would it not be better to initiate a training programme for all riders, with an advanced programme for lets say 150cc and above.

His new initiative will not achieve anything.

So not only special training must be done, but a complete medical must be done and a medical certificate submitted at the time of renewal.  The new diseases being added to the list which would preclude you from obtaining a license now will possibly include the following diseases:

epilepsy, diabetes, high-blood pressure, bipolar disorder, autism and a height of less than 90 centimetres.

How is a height of less than 90 cm a disease?

however if they do add Diabetes and high blood pressure, this will take out very many people from being able to obtain a license, even if medication is used to control the medical condition.

Think they might be trying to cull the herd of drivers, but then it won't matter as those that have diabetes or high blood pressure are not truly an issue, as a heart attack can occur for anyone at anytime and cause an accident.  They might want to add the Thai disease of micro-sleep to the list as well, or even .....no not happening.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am sitting in my love nest right now on Sukhumvit right next to Asok BTS.

When the light changes bikes like Kawasaki 1000 cc take off as fast as possible.

I mean they are really haulin' ***.

not a cop in sight. 

and that is why this BS will never change.

Any bike rider in Bkk who actually waits for the lights to change has not been taking his meth.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am sitting in my love nest right now on Sukhumvit right next to Asok BTS.

When the light changes bikes like Kawasaki 1000 cc take off as fast as possible.

I mean they are really haulin' ***.

not a cop in sight. 

and that is why this BS will never change.

Laws with no consequence or enforcement is worthless. Police here are seemingly untrained and uninterested in mobile, traffic enforcement. I wonder if the "policeman" featured has ever initiated a traffic stop for a violator?

• Like 1

Most of your  posters  are correct   ...It is not the size of the  bike that kills  it is  2  factors

1....The  training   the intelligence...and the   commonsence  of the  Rider  and safe  riding techniques

2....The  cars  and trucks  around them to be  aware  of  motorcyclists 

I  have riden big  harleys  with  high  perf  motors  for 35  years (over  1800 cc) .....I  say ...it is    not  ... that  the  power of the bike that  kills  as  much as the  care of the Rider ...  rider  training  and rider technique 

Many deaths  on Bike are at speeds  less than 80kph  as hit by cars  or trucks 

I have  seen with sheer  amazement  the bike Riders  in Thailand ..total  shock actually...each  one  has a  sign on his or her  back .."will be dead  soon" In Australia  the way they ride  is all ilegal on Aust.  Roads  laws 

I  recently  saw the wages of the  Thai  Police  and  now realise  why  should they bother enforcing all the laws  when  paid  only a  pittance  

my  wife  in Thailand has a basic  job  as driver  earns more than  a  higher ranking police officer ..this is a  joke   ..sorry 

No  wonder they  rather look for  extra income from corruption than enforce  laws on the road 

Ok  back to   Motorbikes Thailand...sorry  nothing will ever change  too  late  mate  damage has been done  years of  roads rules  not  enforced 

just  makes the norm  to Ride  like maniacs  with out respect  for thier  lives or others around them   ...this is the Thai  way on the roads

Things will never change  ...never ..and they  destory the economy  worry about death from virus ..lol

Good Luck  Thailand 

• Like 1

The members of big bike groups or "gangs" are usually seasoned riders, so I would expect less accidents among them. No official figures about the percentage of big bikes as a proportion of motorcycle accidents are offered. Just another official statement not amounting to much.