Confirmed: "Big Bike" riders will need special training from next year

webfact

You can get yourself killed just as easy on a 125 wave or a Scoopy if you ride like an idiot. Two 14 year olds killed just across the road from my nephews school a week ago. Riding 2 up on a 125 with no helmets,yes kids being kids. But the thing is,they were 14,weren’t supposed to be riding a bike. Secondly the teachers at the school must have known these kids ride bikes to school and aren’t of legal age. Plus the parents must know their kids are riding these bikes with no license and are breaking the law. So it boils down to no law enforcement. So until the police force start enforcing the already implemented laws and actually fining and confiscating the bikes and cars of people with no license nothing will change. Making you get a medical certificate to say your fit to ride or drive does not come with a brain upgrade and common sense . Even a point or demerit system won’t work here if you can just slip the guy a few hundred baht to look the other way. 
So basically it’s Thailand,it has its good points,and it has its bad. Love it or leave it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, renz said:

should have tiered system for different level of cc and also mandatory big bike training for at 8 months to 1 year with thorough training on driving methodology eg defensive driving / responsible driving / traffic rules and all this have to be drilled into the learner brain until it become second nature to them. learner must be thoroughly accessed from theory to driving skill to basic but important maintenance of the bike with a high minimum passing rate of at least 95% only then should license be given.   lastly heavy penalty system for breaking the law in tiered level too like in singapore where you be deducted points from your license per year and once that point is completely deducted  - off to court plus ban on driving for a year and license test must be re-taken after penalty period has passed. i believe this will make people more careful about driving. in fact this should be extended to all vehicles and even small bike must go through 6 months mandatory training mentioned above 

Pure fantasy nonsense. 

Thais don't have the patience for proper training or the skills for proper competency assessment. 

The current testing system is a joke, no reason to think this big bike stuff will be any different. 

On 10/28/2020 at 2:42 PM, tyga said:

A 'flex'7 exactly like that killed my two brothers due to lack of experience and the power and handling characteristics of the X7. It was an evil handling bike with <deleted> frame, brakes and tyres. My middle brother who was riding the X7 and had passed his test already but only by a few months and was still young and fearless. Unfortunately, that was his undoing and he took his younger brother with him. Very tragic for the whole family, especially my father who never forgave himself for letting them ride motorcycles. Youth and motorcycles are a dangerous combination and those of us who survived,  can put this down mostly to good luck. I'm all for training and limiting the power/cc  licenses of new riders, especially younger ones. It won't work in every case but I think having an instructor with the correct balance of enjoying motorcycling and instilling the correct riding attitude in new riders does help somewhat. Definitely an improvement to what we have now in Thailand and a good step by the government. That said, given the lack of enforcement, I think most Thai big bike riders are restrained and mature compared to how I was at their age.

Sorry for your loss.

But It was a fantastic bike, the only bike i never come off of.

Best wheelies i have ever done.

nice and light 

Power band was great, had allspeed expansion pipes, jetted carbs with K&N filters. TT 100 tires or Avon road  runners

loved it,

There was no brake issues with this bike or the frame.

But when the RD 250 water cooled come along, it was the end

Edited by quake

On 10/31/2020 at 5:05 PM, quake said:

Sorry to say it.

But in general,  it's the rider not the bike that has the issues.

You would have done the same on a 125 bike.

I totally agree, Quake. I was young, foolish, and loved to show off by going as fast as I could, whenever I could. It was - and still is - a teenage boy thing. That said, anyone who remembers the Suzuki X7 knows that it had an overly light, highly unstable front-end, and was far too powerful for learner riders. The Yamaha RD 250 LC that came out shortly after the X7 was a much safer ride, but still too fast for inexperienced kids.

But you're right, a sensible, mature, and experienced rider would have been able to handle the X7 without too much ado. I was none of the above ????

Stubby 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 1:00 AM, mikosan said:

Then if you have been driving for more than three months, on each separate occasion you visit, you have been driving/riding illegally and without insurance, hotshot.  But I guess you think that is clever?

Amazing isn't it, that clever thing?

Some even fashion themselves clever for relentless, pointless attacks and personal slanders.  

With never anything constructive added in any way.

So tired and disrespectful, even for their own cause, whatever it might be.

Hard to reasonably fathom beyond consummate belligerence.

But guess trolls just gotta troll...

On 10/30/2020 at 6:36 AM, quake said:

What are the good points ?

i can only come up with sex.

Well I suppose sex is the number one thing a man thinks about until the old fella gives up.

But the great food would be another,the cheap accommodation options,the weather,depending on what country your from,being able to pay your way out of traffic infringements if that’s required,being able to get long term visas that many shouldn’t have,wink,wink.being in a country that makes your old sorry ass feel like your 30 again, wink,wink younger girls,being able to start a new life with a new set of lies and stories to go with it to impress that no one can dispute,eye candy. Too name a few. 

17 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Well I suppose sex is the number one thing a man thinks about until the old fella gives up.

But the great food would be another,the cheap accommodation options,the weather,depending on what country your from,being able to pay your way out of traffic infringements if that’s required,being able to get long term visas that many shouldn’t have,wink,wink.being in a country that makes your old sorry ass feel like your 30 again, wink,wink younger girls,being able to start a new life with a new set of lies and stories to go with it to impress that no one can dispute,eye candy. Too name a few. 

Food tastes great,  but is not healthy in anyway.

Accommodation, buying it is not cheap, or value for money. 

Weather ok but the heat can be very oppressive,  give you 50% for that one

Bribing cops, don't do that one.

No long term visa at all. unless you hand over  loads of money,  wont do that one.

Feel like 30 again, isn't that back sex again ?

Start a new life with a new set of lies and stories to go with it to impress that no one can dispute,eye candy.  back to sex, again

So to sum your post up.

What a load of cobblers :jap:

Edited by quake

6 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Agree that training is needed for all bike riders regardless of engine cc.

I have a 250cc bike that can do 200kph & a 125cc scooter that can do 145kph, both of which can out accelerate and out manoeuvre a big bike. 

Seriously ?

A 250 cc motorbike can out accelerate and out manoeuvre a big bike ?

Whatever you been smoking i need a few kilo's.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, moose7117 said:

Seriously ?

Acceleration, power to weight ratio.

Fat bikes and fat people, not so fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2020 at 6:47 PM, RobU said:

I have a full English driving licence including Motorcycle allows me to ride any size motorcycle on British roads plus any vehicle up to 3 tons. Do I have to take a test?

Wouldn't have thought so should be like crossing your car licence over but who knows TiT were they like to make everything complicated and common sense is a rare commodity... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, rabas said:

Acceleration, power to weight ratio.

Fat bikes and fat people, not so fast.

Small people, small horsepower, small idea of reality + overinflated ego’s = clueless people.

on a side note. If we met on our bikes and you tried to play, you would not even see where I went. by the time we were 30 kilometres down the road I would have refuelled, eaten lunch, used the restroom and had a smoke before you even turned up.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Rather amusing all the peeps that have been riding "big bikes" for years all upset about having to possibly do a test to gain the new licence..... you  should breeze it in with all the experience you have.

I think Thailand should adopt the Aus @ NZ LAMS Scheme.

Nah

not want a bike bike here, to many idiots for me to go fast on a big bike.

125 wave is fine.

14 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Absolutely you are and enjoy your 125cc scooter.

No enjoyment, just the most convenient  way to get around town,

traffic is outrageous in pattaya.

You can also enjoy the big old mans chair, with all the leather clobber on.

roasting at traffic lights. :jap:

29 minutes ago, quake said:

No enjoyment, just the most convenient  way to get around town,

traffic is outrageous in pattaya.

You can also enjoy the big old mans chair, with all the leather clobber on.

roasting at traffic lights. :jap:

Agree 100% on a scoot for around town duties, its my preferred means of transport however I do prefer my "big bike" for runs up to Chaing Mai and the likes though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Agree 100% on a scoot for around town duties, its my preferred means of transport however I do prefer my "big bike" for runs up to Chaing Mai and the likes though.

100% Agree, i have got 2 scooters and a Saleng (three wheeler) down from 9 rental scooters, i love the aerox for zipping around town but if i wanna go.... i do mean go say from Hua Hin to Ubon Ratchathani or down to Phuket or just scoot up to Buri Ram for GP (damn covid), i aint guuna do it on the Aerox its the dreaded "Big Bike" for me.

I have done Ubon to Prachuap in a day, with pillion and baggage, sprinted from PKK to buri Ram easily in a day, quicker than a car and probably safer.

Although i was overtaken buy a geriatric on a 250...................NOT.

On 11/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, moose7117 said:

Seriously ?

I'll just leave this here....

HD 750 street - 53hp - 220kg - 177kph.

Honda CB500 Twin - 57hp - 173kg - 193kph.

Suzuki RGV250 - 62hp - 128kg - 209kph.

Edited by LammyTS1

1 hour ago, LammyTS1 said:

I'll just leave this here....

HD 750 street - 53hp - 220kg - 177kph.

Honda CB500 Twin - 57hp - 173kg - 193kph.

Suzuki RGV250 - 62hp - 128kg - 209kph.

Comparing apples with oranges?

Do at least take a bike from this millenium based on the same technology

Honda CBR250RR - 40.8hp - 168kg - 179kph

• Like 1