Vehicle and passenger ferry linking Sattahip, Prachuap and Songkhla could soon become a reality

webfact

"This development could mean people in Pattaya would be able to take their cars to places like Hua Hin without the need for the long drive via Bangkok."

I thought the main port in Prachuap was at the town. If so, dont these reporters know that is 100km south of Hua Hin, and Sathahip port is nearly 50 km from Pattaya. Thats another 3 hours travel to add on to the ferry time.
For Pattaya to Hua hin, thats no good for foot passengers. Better to get the bus. Unless they want to go to Prachuap town also.
Useful however for people wanting to go to Bang Saphan or Chumpon (for Kho Tao).
For a car probably not much better than driving round, depends how much the ferry costs.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Does not depend on anything, as long as it is public transport the car will be insured

Sorry, not true.  Again, check the details.  And if you are relying on the ferry companies insurance here?  Right...

https://www.drivenow.com.au/travel-centre/inter-island-ferry-transfer.jspc

Hertz and Firefly do not permit their vehicles to be taken on the ferry and substantial fees apply where vehicles are returned on a different island.

AVIS do not permit their vehicles to be taken on the ferry. Any vehicle travelling on the ferry is not covered by insurance.

BUDGET do not permit their vehicles to be taken on the ferry. Any vehicle travelling on the ferry is not covered by insurance.

20 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

How many times have they tried this now? Is the previous Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry still running? I don't know anybody who ever used it.

AFAIK not running. Was dead b4 born, as for passengers only and no cars / bikes.

16 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sorry, not true.  Again, check the details.  And if you are relying on the ferry companies insurance here?  Right...

https://www.drivenow.com.au/travel-centre/inter-island-ferry-transfer.jspc

Hertz and Firefly do not permit their vehicles to be taken on the ferry and substantial fees apply where vehicles are returned on a different island.

AVIS do not permit their vehicles to be taken on the ferry. Any vehicle travelling on the ferry is not covered by insurance.

BUDGET do not permit their vehicles to be taken on the ferry. Any vehicle travelling on the ferry is not covered by insurance.

Look again - I do not think the Thai ferry will get to NZ  ????

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Deli said:

AFAIK not running. Was dead b4 born, as for passengers only and no cars / bikes.

Also what happened to the ferry from Sattahip to Bang--bao Koh Chang, did it ever run? Remind me again who OWNES the harbor there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

You made a broad statement indicating insurance is always there.  I was just proving it isn't.  ????

It is always there as I first said – we are not interested in foreign countries - the subject was the new Thai ferries

46 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

It is always there as I first said – we are not interested in foreign countries - the subject was the new Thai ferries

These guys do rentals here. 

https://www.rentalcars.com/en/guides/driving-your-rental/hire-car-on-ferry/

You’ll need the rental company’s approval up front before you take their car on a ferry. To avoid any nasty surprises when you arrive, it’s worth researching car hire companies that allow their cars on ferries before you book.

4 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

You made a broad statement indicating insurance is always there.  I was just proving it isn't.  ????

The ferry sank off the coast of Taiwan a few days ago when in transit from Japan with a Thai crew on board.  The Taiwan Coast Guard rescued some of the crew.  So any trials to test the service will be delayed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

The ferry sank off the coast of Taiwan a few days ago when in transit from Japan with a Thai crew on board.  The Taiwan Coast Guard rescued some of the crew.  So any trials to test the service will be delayed.

Not sure if that's the same company.  The one that sank is with Seatran.  They do the ferries between Samui and nearby islands to the mainland.

The one in this article is for another company.

• Like 1

The idea of connecting Pattaya and Hua Hin has been floated loads of times over the years. Just recently there was an article about building a bridge across the Gold of Thailand. Are any of these options ever going to be put into operation?