Thai tourism: Bank of Thailand report proposes opening up to mass tourism, with safeguards

webfact

4 minutes ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

And at least 6 million of them have lost their job, I would think. Jesus, man, this is a lot!! The government - or whatever you wanna call it - must do something now that will enable international tourism to flower again. 

and your suggestion for that is ...............................................?

Mine would be longer visa free entry and back to back entries allowed. Of course that would upset immigration which prior to corona was making it as hard as possible to stay longer than 60 days, and that included paying to extend beyond 30 days.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 2

A major Bank of Thailand report has suggested that a crucial way to stimulate the Thai economy is to open up the country to mass tourism. 

How many times has this been said before?

Jump on the bandwagon Khun major bank.

55 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course the whole procedure could be done for less than a thousand US dollars.

I doubt if many would be willing to add US$1000 to the cost of a holiday in LOS, and then add probably more expensive air travel plus extra insurance costs. More likely IMO they'll use the money to holiday at home, which is what is happening in NZ.

Yes, a lot would still not move, but some would, I think. Many are waiting to be able to return. The question is how many. But it would help Thailand's economy some, I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

this is a good source of information. you often hear 11 or 12% as a figure tourism. 

Older percentages, number of tourists more than doubled in a decade, i.e. from 14.15 million in 2009 up to 39.8 million in 2019.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

There is no doubt that the country is in critical need of international tourism, as its economy is close to being on its knees. It is a fine balancing act required though to do so, without bringing in floods of covid, a balancing act I see no way they can manage.

Then they will never open up again? They cannot escape covid forever. And of course it can be managed: 10 days' quarantine at a cheap hotel, test before departure, on arrival and after 10 days in quarantine - and that's it! Nothing else, whatsoever. Why would this spread the covid? The alternative is what? Never tourism again? And if every country is doing this? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The OP talks to mass tourism.

Unsure why you are suggesting 10 days in quarantine, when the current recommendation is 14 days or is the Thai government going to go against international norms. As I understand the majority of PRC tourists, under the definition of mass tourism, have a relatively short stay in Thailand, probably the same for other Asian visitors. 'Mass tourist' Westerners usually holiday in Thailand for 2 - 4 weeks; two week holidays obviously not arriving. For those with 4 weeks leave I would think 14 days quarantine would exclude them from coming to Thailand. The OP (mass tourism) makes no sense, unless Thai authorities put aside quarantine requirements for countries with very low rates of Covid transmissions.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but currently Australia will not permit re-entry after departing Australia, other than extraordinary exceptions, which are very difficult to obtain.

Only in very rare cases, the incubation period for covid is more than 10 days. Also, it is possible to detect the presence of covid 10 days after transmission, even in the very rare cases, where symptoms have not surfaced yet. 

With regard to te number of tourists, we need to see some data on how many tourists actually stay for months, how many are in need to get back to their work life, there, how many are immigrating, etc. To me, it looks like both Thailand and Vietnam are in greater need of English teachers than pre-covid, which suggests that there is a not insignificant influx of teachers every year to Thailand, and I could imagine that quite a lot of these teachers are arriving as tourists. We need to see some data, but as those data most likely are very hard to generate, all the government could do is try use their common sense and try and open under the conditions I have described numerous time on here, and the observe how many actually would come. If the tracking app, the insurances, the expensive 14-day quarantine and all the other stuff is ditched, I do not see how you can claim that none or very few tourists would come. What would you base such claim on? I say: only 10 days' quarantine and three tests, then 6 months' visa guaranteed, and that's it, total cost max. 25,000 baht - and then let's see how many would come. I would certainly come under these circumstaces, but the current 14-day quarantine at an expensive hotel, tracking app, expensive covid tests, insurences, pre-paid and with no reimbursement if something goes wrong, and a hundred other things is too much for me. 

I am merely suggesting something - basically an ease of the insane current restrictions to what my common sense tells me is the minimum for maintaining a reasonable contrl of the spread of the covid.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

Only in very rare cases, the incubation period for covid is more than 10 days. Also, it is possible to detect the presence of covid 10 days after transmission, even in the very rare cases, where symptoms have not surfaced yet. 

With regard to te number of tourists, we need to see some data on how many tourists actually stay for months, how many are in need to get back to their work life, there, how many are immigrating, etc. To me, it looks like both Thailand and Vietnam are in greater need of English teachers than pre-covid, which suggests that there is a not insignificant influx of teachers every year to Thailand, and I could imagine that quite a lot of these teachers are arriving as tourists. We need to see some data, but as those data most likely are very hard to generate, all the government could do is try use their common sense and try and open under the conditions I have described numerous time on here, and the observe how many actually would come. If the tracking app, the insurances, the expensive 14-day quarantine and all the other stuff is ditched, I do not see how you can claim that none or very few tourists would come. What would you base such claim on? I say: only 10 days' quarantine and three tests, then 6 months' visa guaranteed, and that's it, total cost max. 25,000 baht - and then let's see how many would come. I would certainly come under these circumstaces, but the current 14-day quarantine at an expensive hotel, tracking app, expensive covid tests, insurences, pre-paid and with no reimbursement if something goes wrong, and a hundred other things is too much for me. 

I am merely suggesting something - basically an ease of the insane current restrictions to what my common sense tells me is the minimum for maintaining a reasonable contrl of the spread of the covid.

Thailand and Vietnam are in greater need of English teachers than pre-covid

English teachers do not come under the definition of mass tourist, so why refer to them in a topic about mass tourism.

then 6 months' visa guaranteed, and that's it, total cost max. 25,000 baht - and then let's see how many would come

Again Off Topic in a topic about mass tourism.

If the tracking app, the insurances, the expensive 14-day quarantine and all the other stuff is ditched, I do not see how you can claim that none or very few tourists would come.

Never made such a claim if all Covid mitigation controls ceased in Thailand. Though the question would be, would their home country re-admit, them after their holiday, in current circumstances. 

Out of curiosity do you now live in Thailand?

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1