Thai tourism: Bank of Thailand report proposes opening up to mass tourism, with safeguards

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the Bank of Thailand says it is 20% so I'm going with that. 

20% may be the figure they are attributing to tourism, however they define that, but there is a conveyor belt that, in rotations of several years, delivers Western money far deeper into the heart of t

I think Thailand has been realigning itself away from the historical Western tourists and seeking to gain more Asian visitors. Certainly the majority of Western tourists are not going to jump through

Posted Images

There will be no opening up until there's a plentiful supply of vaccines and working treatments like one of the monoclonal antibody treatments currently in testing.

That's the maximum they can do.

I will be very surprised if anything opens up at all before Summer 2021 and even that's pushing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If the goal is to attract many tourists to come again, it doesn't matter very much if you make the quarantine 14 days, 10 days or even three days. Sure, you would attract more people with a shorter quarantine, but you'd still have the bottleneck of a limited number of ASQ hotel rooms and connected health services. There is no way to scale that up to allow for enough tourists to have an impact on the crippling economy. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There will be no opening up until there's a plentiful supply of vaccines and working treatments like one of the monoclonal antibody treatments currently in testing.

That's the maximum they can do.

I will be very surprised if anything opens up at all before Summer 2021 and even that's pushing it.

So if that never happens (the plentiful supply of a vaccine that actually works and treatments that are both efficient and affordable) tourism will never return to any shores anywhere? I find the strategy of waiting for something that there are no guarantees will ever come to pass is like waiting for Godot, or like Cyrano waiting for Roxanne. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The newly quoted 20% of GDP for Thai Tourism, now has to be the " Standard " because it has come from the BOT.

I find it a bit disconcerting that BOT has stuck their Paddle into the Mix of trying to return Tourists back to the Country.

We have of course the TAT " Dream Boys ", and the Medical Minister and his Cronies also making all kinds of irrational statements, and now the BOT.

Are the BOT starting to Brick-It due to the outflows of Money from their coffers, whilst nothing is coming into them from the Tourists, Poor Export performance, and Agri prices, and a collapsing property Market.

I guess time will tell.

How is it disconcerting? I find it hopeful - even though the messaging is not entirely coherent 🙂

But it lays the groundwork for the government to do an about-face without losing said face.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It was reportedly about 6% when I first came to LOS. I don't know when it became 20%, if it did.

The numbers have quadrupled from 10 mil to 40 mil since early 2000s...maybe that's why it's more than 6%....in fact the 20% quoted is suspect, take into account everything associated and all the cottage industries relying on tourism, a truer figure would be 30% or more....no hiding for the Thai apologists now

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

well it could not include the boom boom industry as that is all off the books.

I thought you had all the inside knowledge of the boom boom trade, rumour has it trade in Asoke spiked this week?

• Haha 2
18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yet we've always been told tourism is only a small percentage of Thailands GDP... now tourists seem to be all important.

Indeed.

I would suggest that this will lead to tourists being welcomed a bit more in future with genuine smiles like the good old days, instead of being sneered at behind their backs. But given this is Thailand, I'd imagine the hubris will return about a week after the mass tourism does. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Indeed.

I would suggest that this will lead to tourists being welcomed a bit more in future with genuine smiles like the good old days, instead of being sneered at behind their backs. But given this is Thailand, I'd imagine the hubris will return about a week after the mass tourism does. 

I fear when and if tourism returns the sharks will be back en-mass with an even greater hunger than ever imagined.

• Like 2

Even if they open for "mass tourism" most people can't afford travelling on a 2 week holiday.   Too much uncertainty about their own future, jobs and economy. 

The more I look at the current requirements for tourist entry, long or short stay, I see a panic reaction from ignorant, inflexible persons on government or TAT..  They do not understand Covid, but are frightened of it, so impose illogical restrictions.  Just download the 'Fit to Fly' certificate required, to see what I mean.  Nonsense, and nothing to do with Covid.  With this thinking, there is no much hope of any tourist, or retiree, entry to Thailand this year.

Mostly retirees and long-stay on this board.  Sensible approach could be:-

Covid test before departure,  fever checks at airport, and then allowed to spend 14 day 'quarantine' self isolating in our own homes, with local medical supervision.  Maybe compulsory medical insurance as now, to give someone in TAT/Gov. some kick-backs.

• Like 1