Thai tourism: Bank of Thailand report proposes opening up to mass tourism, with safeguards

webfact

14 hours ago, simple1 said:

Thailand and Vietnam are in greater need of English teachers than pre-covid

English teachers do not come under the definition of mass tourist, so why refer to them in a topic about mass tourism.

then 6 months' visa guaranteed, and that's it, total cost max. 25,000 baht - and then let's see how many would come

Again Off Topic in a topic about mass tourism.

If the tracking app, the insurances, the expensive 14-day quarantine and all the other stuff is ditched, I do not see how you can claim that none or very few tourists would come.

Never made such a claim if all Covid mitigation controls ceased in Thailand. Though the question would be, would their home country re-admit, them after their holiday, in current circumstances. 

Out of curiosity do you now live in Thailand?

What is 'mass tourism'? One million a year? Five? 20? 100? And from where do you know that not, say, 5 million tourists are not people in reality immigrating, looking for work, getting back to their girlfriend, etc.?

1 hour ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

What is 'mass tourism'? One million a year? Five? 20? 100? And from where do you know that not, say, 5 million tourists are not people in reality immigrating, looking for work, getting back to their girlfriend, etc.?

where do you know that not, say, 5 million tourists are not people in reality immigrating, looking for work,

Link below may assist in contributing to your knowledge, rather than relying on speculation.

https://reliefweb.int/report/thailand/thailand-migration-report-2019-enth#:~:text=Based on data from a,from 3.7 million in 2014.&text=Migrant workers help fill labour,important as Thai society ages.

18 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

Then they will never open up again? They cannot escape covid forever. And of course it can be managed: 10 days' quarantine at a cheap hotel, test before departure, on arrival and after 10 days in quarantine - and that's it! Nothing else, whatsoever. Why would this spread the covid? The alternative is what? Never tourism again? And if every country is doing this? 

Never tourism again? And if every country is doing this? 

It''ll be back to what it was in my early years. Pre corona tourism only happened, IMO because of jumbo planes. Prior to the 747 travel was expensive and not common for most.

IMO mass international tourism was a bubble, and it's burst. Now people will still travel, but in their own country, or in other countries reachable by train or road eg in Europe.

Once the hi speed rail from China is completed, IMO expect mass Chinese tourism to resume in LOS.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Airalee said:

Everything I can find online states that the average tourist stays about 9 days.  If, as you say, tourists would regard the quarantine as a “minor inconvenience” then there would be an abundance of people applying for the STV and TAT would be quite vocal about it.

I know many from the UK who are self employed, subcontractors, retirees etc, ie the snowbird typese, who spend long periods here annually. 

If Visas and COE were available they would be here sharpish. 

4 minutes ago, rott said:

I know many from the UK who are self employed, subcontractors, retirees etc, ie the snowbird typese, who spend long periods here annually. 

If Visas and COE were available they would be here sharpish. 

I know some from the US, the UK and Europe who also spend long periods here too but the plural of anecdote is not data.  

The subject of the article and discussion here is about mass tourism, and the statistics (The few that I am able to find online) show that the average tourist spends just over 9 days here.  I would posit that those are the vast majority and what would fall under the description of “mass tourism”.  I sincerely doubt that they will choose to go under quarantine, or even be able to extend their vacation periods to the extent that they would have sufficient time (Or money) to submit themselves to 14 days of quarantine (and all the extra associated costs).

I wonder which countries these 9 day mass tourists come from,sorry to be anecdotal but I have yet to meet any. 

Do the statistics say they are big spenders.?

No need to reply, I am not having a go just wondering. 

Despite government claims, it seems Thailand relied on tourism much more than the noted figures.  I believe the figure speak to people who worked directly in the tourism industry.  The reality is tourism fueled employment for Thai's and business opportunities outside of the tourist sector.  Thais earn <deleted> poor wages therefore they purchase very little, do not vacation much if at all and simply have no excess funds to spend or save.  Without foreign currency floating throughout the country, there is far less money to spent or for Thais who aren't directly tied to tourist to earn. Tourist, expats, foreign investors and remittances are probably 50% of Thailand's economy.  Pride simply will not allow them to admit that reality.

7 minutes ago, rioD said:

Despite government claims, it seems Thailand relied on tourism much more than the noted figures.  I believe the figure speak to people who worked directly in the tourism industry.  The reality is tourism fueled employment for Thai's and business opportunities outside of the tourist sector.  Thais earn <deleted> poor wages therefore they purchase very little, do not vacation much if at all and simply have no excess funds to spend or save.  Without foreign currency floating throughout the country, there is far less money to spent or for Thais who aren't directly tied to tourist to earn. Tourist, expats, foreign investors and remittances are probably 50% of Thailand's economy.  Pride simply will not allow them to admit that reality.

Can you provide any links to support your claims

These are the countries most reliant on your tourism dollars

Source World Bank

Thailand 9.82 of GDP

https://qz.com/1724042/the-countries-most-reliant-on-tourism-for-gdp/

This figure is International tourism which is seperate from domestic tourism

If the figures were anywhere near what your claiming I would expect the tourism minister to visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the immigration departments and  dictated the visa policies based on your GDP guesstimates

23 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

I would not be surprised if it was 30-40 percent, though. But no one really knows, very hard to calculate...

The elephant in the room here is the proposed health insurance scheme currently being talked about and how this might affect people on Marriage and Retirement Visas, so people on these visas return to Thailand I would bet would be encouraged to take out the insurance to get back into the country and a year later what will have happened to the renewal amount? Many who re over 60 will be seen as a large health risk, a higher rate or a no go?

As usual nothing is straight forward here and plenty of room for local interpretation.

Vinny41, my comment was based on my personal opinion and observation after visiting and living in the country for 30 on and on for 30 years (100% speculation).  There's no way to know the actual truth as governments distribute information as they see fit (be it accurate or inaccurate). Also in truth it's their country and their Thais) concerns.  I'm just an outsider with an opinion but no worries either way.  As a non-Thai I and or we have the option of dealing with whatever they impose or rejecting it and find other options.