Phuket police confirm new traffic fines to start Nov 1

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

...but the penalties for drunk driving remain the same as those brought into law in 2015, said Col Santat, who oversees all Traffic Police throughout the province.

I would have believed that the fine for "drunk driving", would be very important to increase, for improvement of traffic safety...????

• Driving on footpath without necessary reason (B500)

I wonder what "necessary reason" for driving on a footpath is...????

10 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

what bike lanes?

There were huge issues in Bangkok - the bike lanes were a great idea, then Thai-ness slipped into the fray.

Vendors placed their food carts in the bike lanes, cars parked in them. Due to a lack of enforcement before long the sense of entitlement slipped in that the bike lanes could be used for almost anything else except cycling !!!! 

A great initiative poorly executed and poorly policed - they are all but non existent now.

(This was in Bangkok, I’m not aware of any Bike Lanes in Phuket)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

I would have believed that the fine for "drunk driving", would be very important to increase, for improvement of traffic safety...????

I wonder what "necessary reason" for driving on a footpath is...????

Keep your 1 foot on the ground while using footpath, it's not driving then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How will fines for any of the moving violations listed be enforced?

Has anyone here ever seen the police pull over a car, truck or motorbike for a moving violation in Phuket? That would require the police to follow the violator in a vehicle and pull them over to issue a fine.

In all my years in Phuket, I've not seen one instance of a citation being issued anywhere except a roadblock/checkpoint, and those citations would only be for non-moving violations (no helmet, no license, etc).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There were huge issues in Bangkok - the bike lanes were a great idea, then Thai-ness slipped into the fray.

Vendors placed their food carts in the bike lanes, cars parked in them. Due to a lack of enforcement before long the sense of entitlement slipped in that the bike lanes could be used for almost anything else except cycling !!!! 

A great initiative poorly executed and poorly policed - they are all but non existent now.

(This was in Bangkok, I’m not aware of any Bike Lanes in Phuket)

No money to make on cyclist, cars motorbikes on the other hand sell well and the drivers/passengers tops it up with filling up hotels, shopping centers/ and not to forget hospitals. Great when have shares both in the service industry, car manufactures and hospitals.????

only issue i have is ambulance and police cars, tell the drivers to just use the sirene and lights when on emergency call and not when they on the way to 7/11. and train them driving, if on emergency call you have right of way, so go for it, there are injured people who need you.