Schoolgirl slapped for not standing up during national anthem

webfact

Just to say it was a bit of a thing to stand up for "God Save the Queen" in English cinemas in the 1950s. The habit declined over time. Thailand is just playing catch up. As I understand it, most guys wait outside, and then go in after, presumably to avoid confrontation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johng said:

Just to be pedantic,  they don't play the national anthem in  Thai cinemas.

Thanks for the correction. It was my mate that was at the movies and his observation. AFAIK, whenever there's a picture of the Deleted and regal music playing, it's supposed to be a stand up job. Maybe times have changed?

The only time I have ever been in a Thai cinema was in Korat in maybe 1980 to watch a badly dubbed version of Superman II. I do know that EVERYONE stood for whatever they played at that kick-off.

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:
7 hours ago, johng said:

Just to be pedantic,  they don't play the national anthem in  Thai cinemas.

Wrong.

No, you are wrong. There's the National Anthem and there's the Royal Anthem. The latter is played at cinemas. This was clarified back on page 2 and 3.

I am right and you are wrong, therefore I will hit you, to teach you.

This is the Thai education system at its finest. Do it my way or violence will ensue.

irrespective of the reason the girl did not stand for whatever anthem was being played, no one has the right to slap anyone. It would have been interesting had the girl's family been present to meet out the justice to the woman that she thought the girl deserved. thought

With respect the UK national anthem, it remains gracious, whether Deleted or queen. Harks back to when the Deleted was referred to as 'Your Grace' rather than your majesty. But this has nothing to do with the article.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Aside from the fact that standing during a National anthem should be a matter of personal choice, given the law allows such freedoms, the woman in red has no right to do anything, other than possibly making a remark of disapproval. It is an unprovoked assault for which she should be charged and imprisoned, to make her and others think twice before such action. Being Thailand a wai and 500 Baht will probably solve the matter sadly.

You mean they will wai to the woman in red and give her 500 Bahts? Yes not impossible ????

3 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

When I was a child in Australia, everybody stood for God Save  etc at the cinema or at school every morning.  No one would have dared sit down.

Not anymore, the only time you will hear the national anthem is at a footy mach.

17 hours ago, skorp13 said:

Hilarious! Somehow she was able to walk to where she was, and would have to walk back to get to transport or home yet she couldn't stand. Talk about a lame excuse. I'm not not Thai but when in public i always stand and if walking stop.

Is that you steve ?

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My married American mate who has worked and lived here for years went to watch a movie a few weeks back. He said when the national anthem came on, he was the only one who stood up. Admittedly, the movie auditoriums at these multi-screen venues are smaller these days and there was at most only half-a-dozen others but these 'sitters' were all young locals.

Sign o' the times I reckon.

Been happening in CM for 4+ months now. Nothing new. Just us foreigners cannot afford to be caught on camera and then persecuted as ran up the old Thai flag pole for it. But if I had a choice, my days of standing went away with the passing away of a certain beloved man. But I have no choice if I want to preserve my integrity of staying here. I am all for what the young generation sees for their future and respects. It is their life!

This was a huge discussion at my dinner table with the kids and wife last night when watching the news. My kids hope she loses everything and the general thought is she will lose the 1 million baht she is requested to pay for compensation, and she will lose her business, and she will be labelled a Thai Karen forever. And the divide continues.

• Sad 1

When I went to see tenet movie at MBK last month there was a group of teenagers near me who never stood up for a particular 'song'for someone  There was an older guy who seemed upset,shocked near me !  Good for them I said !A generation tired of being told what they must do because it's always been so saying NO !

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, heybuz said:

I once dropped a thai coin ten bht i think and stuck my foot on it to stop it rolling away, i was severely admonished by thai gf for being disrespectful to you know who.

I was once given a small piece of memorabilia after I donated some money to a charity collector on the street. I gave it to my then gf and she told me to put it in my pocket for now as females are not allowed to put stuff like that in their pockets (she was wearing jean shorts and had no bag). I told her that she can put money in her pockets, soooo? An explanation was not forthcoming. 

I don't know if this is true or not, but it really wouldn't surprise me. So glad I never bought into any of it. 

Went to the cinema Chiang Mai 5 yrs ago for the release of James Bond Spectre there was about 20 younger people in the audience .. when the Royal anthem started I stood up .. looked behind and around to see I was the only one standing up .. felt like a right [deleted]

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My married American mate who has worked and lived here for years went to watch a movie a few weeks back. He said when the national anthem came on, he was the only one who stood up. Admittedly, the movie auditoriums at these multi-screen venues are smaller these days and there was at most only half-a-dozen others but these 'sitters' were all young locals.

Sign o' the times I reckon.

The same thing happened to me in Udon Thani two weeks ago. There were about 60 people in the theater and I was shocked when well over half of the people did not stand. Except for me, they were all Thais. 

50 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

When I went to see tenet movie at MBK last month there was a group of teenagers near me who never stood up for a particular 'song'for someone  There was an older guy who seemed upset,shocked near me !  Good for them I said !A generation tired of being told what they must do because it's always been so saying NO !

I have seen the same.  Or, people walking out before it starts then return after.

16 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

The same thing happened to me in Udon Thani two weeks ago. There were about 60 people in the theater and I was shocked when well over half of the people did not stand. Except for me, they were all Thais. 

actually its not national anthem   its the song for the head of state