On my way to airport

58 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

yes there is some risk.  I advise against it. Go straight to the airport. There is a hotel inside the departure area if he needs it.

Also the box rooms near the airport link. He would need to be 3 hours before his flight to check in and that poses a problem unless he directly sleeps inside the airport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayida said:

Can he check in for one night or not? Any risk to be caught?

It is better to go to immigration and pay the penalty first.

If you are caught, you are going to have to pay more and will be banned for 5 years from coming to Thailand.

• Overstayed more than 90 days – 1 year ban from Thailand
  • Overstayed more than 1 year – 3 year ban from Thailand
  • Overstayed more than 3 years – 5 year ban from Thailand
  • Overstayed more than 5 years – 10 year ban from Thailand
  • Overstayed less than 1 year but apprehended and arrested – 5 year ban from Thailand
  • Overstayed more than one year but apprehended and arrested – 10 year ban from Thailand

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

Pick up a girl on the way to the hotel, let her check in, and you go to the room later.

Bon Voyage!

That's the way to do it 

Recently did a two week travelling holiday with my wife. Each night was a new hotel and I let my wife check us in. I was only asked for my details once after she checked us in and that was at the Hop Inn Buriram (my home province !!!).  (must be PP, DL not acceptable)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Actually this used to be true. Straight in and close the curtains. However, I've not used one since Covid so they may be a lot more careful now , especially where foreigners are concerned.

Some of them are quite nice. Get a random lady to check in for you, no questions asked.

49 minutes ago, Legendary Monkey said:

It's up to the hotel, they may not even let him check in with no visa.

Hotels don't check visas, they simply enter the name, passport number and I believe if I remember correctly the length of stay into the webpage and it's done.

Immigration will know seconds later that he's on overstay based on the passport number alone.

Whether they do anything about it is anyones guess, are the immigration police busy right now? I doubt they are very busy so maybe they will act quickly.

Edited by ukrules
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Hotels don't check visas, they simply enter the name, passport number and I believe if I remember correctly the length of stay into the webpage and it's done.

Immigration will know seconds later that he's on overstay based on the passport number alone.

Whether they do anything about it is anyones guess, are the immigration police busy right now? I doubt they are very busy so maybe they will act quickly.

every day hotels, guest houses, etc. have to complete a form (i've only seen it written but it may be online too) with passport information of all foreign guests including visa/visa exempt details, this is sent to local police/immigration.

14 minutes ago, samsensam said:

every day hotels, guest houses, etc. have to complete a form (i've only seen it written but it may be online too) with passport information of all foreign guests including visa/visa exempt details, this is sent to local police/immigration.

I've done this process myself at a small 5 house resort, call it a small guesthouse if you will because that's what it was.

Anyone can get an account to do it online, no matter how small.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, samsensam said:

The online form for notification of the arrival of a foreigner requests less information than the paper form.

• Like 2

Many posters logically assume he is on a nine month overstay but this is not the case. Immigration counts overstay until the date of amnesty.

Two friends, who were on overstay since February, had their case 'fixed' via an agent, 6 months later and one of them didn't even have to pay the full 20k fine. The exact count of days until amnesty was notated in their passports. 

Another point, whether or to what extent hotels report on their guest's immigration status, or how proactive immigration follows up is unclear. My friends stayed all those months at a high end hotel in Bangkok and management never mentioned anything nor did immigration show up.

Also, the agents that were consulted to fix the overstay situation, said that many hotels don't report to immigration and that generally immigration doesn't proactively follow up on data they receive from hotels.

Whether the latter is true or not I have no way of verifying. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tayida said:

If I write it's for a friensd of mine I suppose noone will believe. But yes, he is on 2 months os before the first amnesty. But please focus on the question, thank you.

There is no answer, entirely up to the hotel staff.

I was told once I couldn't check in, receptionist was looking at the wrong stamp.

Hotels have to take passport details for immigration and if he is allowed to check in it would be unlikely immigration would respond before he left for the airport. Most hotels just take a photocopy so there is a question mark over how long before that is actually passed on.

Bottom line, very hit and miss so as others have suggested better to play it safe and go straight to the airport.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your question is a little vague: 

Your ‘friend’ was on a 2 month overstay prior to the Amnesty being announce. Thus, he could be classified as being an ‘over stayer’ and face risk for overstay penalties. 

Is your question regarding whether or not a hotel will alert authorities of his overstay thus placing your ‘friend’ at risk of arrest and greater consequences than simply self reporting at the airport ???

If he cant elaborate dont ask..

18 hours ago, samsensam said:

Have another look!  the online  TM30 doent ask about visas... but as mentioned here.. of course the PP number will bring up details.... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Many posters logically assume he is on a nine month overstay but this is not the case. Immigration counts overstay until the date of amnesty.

Two friends, who were on overstay since February, had their case 'fixed' via an agent, 6 months later and one of them didn't even have to pay the full 20k fine. The exact count of days until amnesty was notated in their passports.

Well, that would be a real consolation for OP.  It wouldn't change anything re the fine (20.000 THB as it is more than 40 days overstay), but at least he would not be banned for 1 year.

But as mentioned by another poster he definitely needs to bring 20.000 THB cash with him to pay the fine because otherwise they won't even let him leave and he will miss his flight and go to CDC.

• Like 1