Thai Cabinet extends state of emergency for Covid by another month

webfact

17 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

Why look to Vietnam? They've also closed borders...

If Vietnam opens up its borders before Thailand, with a sensible cost neutral testing regime, and doesn't erect the series of hoops for people to jump through which Thailand seems determined to, then that would make sense.

If the flights to South East Asia, when they resume, fly to Ho Chi Minh City rather than Bangkok, because that is working better, then it will be game over for Thailand as a transit hub.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

The Cabinet has agreed to extend the state of emergency to curb the Covid-19 pandemic by another month from the end of October, deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Wednesday.

Yeah okay we believe you... now what was I doing?

19 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Really, I thought Thailand was and has been COVID free for a while. This would suggest that we are being told a pack of lies. Or is there another reason?

I don't think we are being told a pack of lies. At least there is not a high number of infections as that would lead to high rates of mortality and you would see that, in queues for cremation at the temples if nothing else.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

How does 60k infections nationally get us to overwhelmed hospitals in any state? For the entire pandemic there were 7k hospitalizations in Colorado, most at the peak during the 1-2 month period. We're not anywhere near that point now and even then it couldn't overwhelm hospitals. This is so over but the media won't let it go away. All we get is fear mongering from them.

Because it's not about nationwide, but about the states individually.  Some are doing better, some fair, and quite a few are doing terribly.  Like Wisconsin, N and S Dakota, etc.  You have to look at each state individually, not as an entire nation. 

I've got no idea about Colorado. Other than it's a beautiful state with a pretty good governor. 

As for the media, it's not over.  75k or so new infections and almost 1k dead...just yesterday.  In a few days, you'll match the deaths from 9/11.  That is stunning and far from fear mongering.

5 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

As for the media, it's not over.  75k or so new infections and almost 1k dead...just yesterday.  In a few days, you'll match the deaths from 9/11.  That is stunning and far from fear mongering.

1k sounds too high, not sure where you got that from but regardless remember the US has 320+ million people. These are incredibly small numbers. It's like 0.25 deaths per county or 0.000003% of the population. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

1k sounds too high, not sure where you got that from but regardless remember the US has 320+ million people. These are incredibly small numbers. It's like 0.25 deaths per county or 0.000003% of the population. 

Easy to research the numbers.  Stunning you don't know what they are.  They are posted everywhere.

Small numbers unless that death was your partner, your child, your parent.  And it can be reduced drastically, relatively easily.  Also, don't forget the ones who survived.  Perhaps after weeks in ICU and with conditions that last a long time.  Perhaps a lifetime.  We just don't know.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

In all probability, Vietnam will already have an exit plan ready, and will open her borders way before Thailand. TH is just so unpredictable at the moment.

To the contrary, the government here could not be more predictable. 

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Not entirely obvious. For someone who's the boss he seems singularly inactive. Occasional speeches, no vision for a better future, no decisions for a better future, no obvious implementation of any little decisions that do happen to get taken. Nothing at all really.

He hasnt even realased a new song in a while.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

It's ironic when reading the two top stories that one is extending the emergency period owing to the virus and the second is allowing passengers from mega cruise ship to disabark. Go figure.

why?  If they do a 14 day quarantine, then they're fine.  Makes sense if they want to get tourists back here.

19 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

I'm a hotel owner in Laos. 90% of tourist arrivals into Laos come via Thailand (mainly Suvarnaphoum) as its transit hub, so this decision is a further blow to the 1,000s of hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and all their employees that have lost their jobs since March. In all honesty, I believe Laos will turn its back to TH and start looking towards Viet Nam as a transit hub. Its important to know that decisions made by TH also severely and directly affect all regional neighbours. Fingers crossed.

Thailand couldn't   give a toss about anyone apart for bending over for their masters. China

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

I'm a hotel owner in Laos. 90% of tourist arrivals into Laos come via Thailand (mainly Suvarnaphoum) as its transit hub, so this decision is a further blow to the 1,000s of hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and all their employees that have lost their jobs since March. In all honesty, I believe Laos will turn its back to TH and start looking towards Viet Nam as a transit hub. Its important to know that decisions made by TH also severely and directly affect all regional neighbours. Fingers crossed.

Yes indeed and you have my sympathy. I live in Cambodia but I am familiar with Luang Prabang in your country and it must be devastating for everyone connected with tourism. Once borders re-open, your comment about Vietnam being a transit hub is well founded. I am sure Cambodia will no longer have to rely on Bangkok (BKK and DMK) as a "the" hub. Vietnam Airlines and Vietjet will provide excellent connections to Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and Sihanoukville from International flights arriving at Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi in particular. Many travelers take this route or via other hubs in Japan, China, South Korea and the Middle East for example. The recent upgrade and modernization to Phnom Penh International airport will allow more direct International flights. A new larger International airport (with two runways) is currently under construction for Siem Reap so that more flights can be handled. It is due to open in 2023 and will be Cambodia's largest International airport. It is expected to handle 7 million passengers annually.  I wish you good luck in Laos.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Extend the state of Emergency to curb the Covid 19, and in a different thread open Thailand up to Tourism????

..... for their trough of money.

Why? Remember the selected hotels and the 2- to 3-fold higher prices!

20 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

How predictable. The Coronacrisis is a very convenient thing for the generals, and they use it appreciatively as a welcome political tool to protect their troughs. So obvious.

How has the state of emergency affected you? How has it affected just about anyone?

20 hours ago, bdenner said:

IMHO, by doing this the good general is "Micro Managing" the country, may as well get rid of the provincial governors! Also helps with the unrest seeing as though he had to rescind his "Political Emergency Decree" a few days ago = Embarrassed?

Needed more than 5 to line the streets for a motorcade.

21 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Really, I thought Thailand was and has been COVID free for a while. This would suggest that we are being told a pack of lies. Or is there another reason?

Yes the reason most obvious,same as many other countries waiting for a working vaccine to be discovered,in the meantime everything with opening the country’s up just gets put back until that time happens just be patient for many months to come

Most people's wrong-diet and inactivity habit, leading to obesity (leading to a weakened immune system and life-style diseases), was in itself bad enough prior to 2020. Now with this virus and politicians' group-insane reaction for everyone to see (you don't need a 'tinfoil hat' to look through the whole thing), our life has been taken to a whole new level. 

How much longer will we take it? Change starts with ourselves. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:
21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What are the state of emergency rules please, anyone?

Quite simple. 

1- Wear mask in public places.
2- Wash your hands more often.
3 - Social distancing.
4- If you have any Covid symptoms, trouble breathing , coughing etc, then please seek medical advice right away.

Sounds pretty much like the simple Covid-19 prevention requirements of about 193 other nations that DO NOT need a SoE to enforce compliance.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

I agree and sympathise, but don't forget, Laos borders are still closed, to all but a select few, even laos visa holders cannot get back in, and certainly not tourists via thailand at this present time.

I am still hoping that Asean neighbours, maybe with the exception of Burma, can come up with some sort of reciprocal arrangement.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Cabinet extends state of emergency for Covid by another month

By The Nation

800_ed9f26ed988ab3f.jpeg?v=1603865953

The Cabinet has agreed to extend the state of emergency to curb the Covid-19 pandemic by another month from the end of October, deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Wednesday.

This is the eighth time that the state of emergency has been extended.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396914

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-28

Thai ex army and police extend emergency for another month. Oh sorry cabinet ????????????