Jump to content

Thai Cabinet extends state of emergency for Covid by another month


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How predictable. The Coronacrisis is a very convenient thing for the generals, and they use it appreciatively as a welcome political tool to protect their troughs. So obvious.

Thank you Khun Prayut Chan O Cha and the government, obviously it gives them more management capabilities that assist with keeping COVID19 out of Thailand while allowing folks to go about their daily

Really, I thought Thailand was and has been COVID free for a while. This would suggest that we are being told a pack of lies. Or is there another reason?

Posted Images

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What are the state of emergency rules please, anyone?

Apparently, there are none. There is no elected parliament to challenge

the Prime Minister's decision-making, Cabinet are either from his own

political party or his military confidants.  That is the last thing that I have

heard on this situation.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, laosnative said:

I agree and sympathise, but don't forget, Laos borders are still closed, to all but a select few, even laos visa holders cannot get back in, and certainly not tourists via thailand at this present time.

I am still hoping that Asean neighbours, maybe with the exception of Burma, can come up with some sort of reciprocal arrangement.  

Correct unfortunately tourism is just not going to happen whilst Covid so active and mutating becoming even more deadly

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 

A cabinet made up of anti democracy old ex army and police are ensuring no whites or residents can return. What's wrong everything sounds normal..🤣

 

 

 

 

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Cabinet extends state of emergency for Covid by another month

By The Nation

 

800_ed9f26ed988ab3f.jpeg?v=1603865953

 

The Cabinet has agreed to extend the state of emergency to curb the Covid-19 pandemic by another month from the end of October, deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Wednesday.

 

This is the eighth time that the state of emergency has been extended.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396914

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-28
 

 

Thai ex army and police extend emergency for another month. Oh sorry cabinet 🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

I'm a hotel owner in Laos. 90% of tourist arrivals into Laos come via Thailand (mainly Suvarnaphoum) as its transit hub, so this decision is a further blow to the 1,000s of hotels, guesthouses, restaurants and all their employees that have lost their jobs since March. In all honesty, I believe Laos will turn its back to TH and start looking towards Viet Nam as a transit hub. Its important to know that decisions made by TH also severely and directly affect all regional neighbours. Fingers crossed.

Vietnam isn't opening up either.

 

And frankly, I don't believe your claim. Chinese travelers to Laos arrive directly from China and are thus unaffected by what Thailand does.

 

Only farang tend to travel via Thailand and the obsession with using Thailand as a transit hub is something that I could never really understand.

 

Anyway, the world remains closed and Laos is stubbornly refusing to open it's borders with Thailand either, so i think the blame can go both ways. The world may never be the same again, so your rant shows you don't have any clue what is actually going on here, especially on a geopolitical level.

 

Besides, THAI Airways is bankrupt and this is the reason for transit flights not being allowed yet. Laos has yet to open it's airspace either. And Vietnam is operating but one weekly flight to Vientiane, mainly for repatriation purposes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

In all probability, Vietnam will already have an exit plan ready, and will open her borders way before Thailand. TH is just so unpredictable at the moment.

Someone posted on Facebook today that the Viet Gov't. stated yesterday they will not open the borders to foreign tourists until there is a vaccine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 3MagicBeers said:

In all probability, Vietnam will already have an exit plan ready, and will open her borders way before Thailand. TH is just so unpredictable at the moment.

Someone posted on Facebook today that the Viet Gov't. stated yesterday they will not open the borders to foreign tourists until there is a vaccine.

 

I cannot verify.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Someone posted on Facebook today that the Viet Gov't. stated yesterday they will not open the borders to foreign tourists until there is a vaccine.

That wouldn't surprise me. After all, this is global and in the end nearly all countries will have similar entry regulations.

 

However, the usual suspects never miss an opportunity for Thai bashing and making up wild, unsubstantiated theories about their darling Vietnam opening up before Thailand when in fact, Thailand opened up for foreign nationals married to Thais 3 months before Vietnam allowed the same in their country. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Correct unfortunately tourism is just not going to happen whilst Covid so active and mutating becoming even more deadly

Just the opposite via natural selection : Random mutations like the D614G increase the survival of the virus: More infective but less lethal to the host .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-mutation-idUSKCN25E08Y

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Vietnam isn't opening up either.

 

And frankly, I don't believe your claim. Chinese travelers to Laos arrive directly from China and are thus unaffected by what Thailand does.

 

Only farang tend to travel via Thailand and the obsession with using Thailand as a transit hub is something that I could never really understand.

 

Anyway, the world remains closed and Laos is stubbornly refusing to open it's borders with Thailand either, so i think the blame can go both ways. The world may never be the same again, so your rant shows you don't have any clue what is actually going on here, especially on a geopolitical level.

 

Besides, THAI Airways is bankrupt and this is the reason for transit flights not being allowed yet. Laos has yet to open it's airspace either. And Vietnam is operating but one weekly flight to Vientiane, mainly for repatriation purposes. 

It wasn't a rant, just giving my opinion and observation. With 'tourist arrivals' I refer to western tourists that fill most of the hotels and bring in the vast majority of income to Luang Prabang. No Chinese arrivals are currently being allowed in via Boten apart from 'essential' workers in the construction, infrastructure or dam industries. Not sure what THAI's bankruptcy has to do with transit flights. Pre lockdown most flights VTE-LP-BKK were Bangkok Airways, Lao Airlines, Air Asia etc. I haven't heard of Vietnam flights operating now. As far as I know there are only 2 weekly flights to China (essential workers), domestic flights and occasional charter flights for repatriation via Incheon. Vietnam is making the most positive noises regarding a reopening next year compared to TH, so it would make sense for Laos and VN to reopen their borders with each other first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

AP news is misleading us. The death and hospitalization rates are not high enough to overwhelm hospitals, unless people are simply going to the hospital for being infected, and even then how could this be possible? There were 61k INFECTIONS  per day for the entire population of 320 million.

There are only ab out 90000 ICU beds in the entire country. Some counties in Texas are runnign out of beds and patients are being more to other hospitals. 500K infections this week in the US and it is going to get much worse there and Europe also. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, 3MagicBeers said:

It wasn't a rant, just giving my opinion and observation. With 'tourist arrivals' I refer to western tourists that fill most of the hotels and bring in the vast majority of income to Luang Prabang. No Chinese arrivals are currently being allowed in via Boten apart from 'essential' workers in the construction, infrastructure or dam industries. Not sure what THAI's bankruptcy has to do with transit flights. Pre lockdown most flights VTE-LP-BKK were Bangkok Airways, Lao Airlines, Air Asia etc. I haven't heard of Vietnam flights operating now. As far as I know there are only 2 weekly flights to China (essential workers), domestic flights and occasional charter flights for repatriation via Incheon. Vietnam is making the most positive noises regarding a reopening next year compared to TH, so it would make sense for Laos and VN to reopen their borders with each other first.

It has a lot to do with it. THAI Airways operates the bulk of intercontinental flights from Europe and Australia, transiting Thailand and offering connecting service to Laos. Bangkok Airways offers only regional flights, but with borders closed, including laos, they are only offering rare repatriation flights until further notice. Air Asia doesn't allow connecting flights; they only do point to point services. How can one transit Bangkok to get to Laos when that country is closed to nearly everyone and there are no flights operating? Even those few countries in the region permitting transit passengers are operating with stringent conditions - like Singapore, you need to be connecting through on a Singapore Airlines flight. You can't change airlines in Singapore, which would require you to clear customs. Same as will apply in thailand should THAI Airways get off the ground again in the coming months. 

 

You seem to have some kind of hostility towards Thailand and pretend that it's only Thailand which is closed, when it's the entire region (and world). It simply isn't possible to travel freely like it was before march and that is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. You would have a point if the rest of the world were open and Thailand wasn't, but this simply isn't true. 

 

As for your claim that only westerners fill the hotels in Luang Prabang when from personal experience I've noticed that at least a quarter to as many as half of all visitors are Thais and Chinese, as well as Koreans and Vietnamese, it again shows you don't know what actually goes on; Chinese visitors easily bring in as much revenue as all westerners combined. Chinese can arrive in Luang Prabang via numerous means (during normal times). There are daily Kunming-Luang Prabang flights. Also, Jinghong-Luang Prabang. Plenty of flights from Kunming, Nanning, Guangzhou, and charter flights from Changzhou and Changsha arriving into Vientiane daily. Many Chinese drive their own cars to Laos. They are permitted to drive around the country, whereas in the reverse direction, Lao plated cars are only permitted to travel as far as Jinghong. Then you have Kunming-Vientiane, Kunming-Luang Prabang and Mengla-Vientiane buses. At least 25% of all tourists to Laos are Chinese and thus at best, 40-60% of Lao bound arrivals come from Thailand, many across the land borders. In fact, few backpackers choose to fly. The Chinese market will pick up long before westerners arrive into Laos. That you can be sure of. In the future, more than half of all visitors to Laos will be Chinese. 

 

Vietnam isn't making any noises about reopening to tourists; I read e vn Express daily and haven't noticed anything in particular. The original July reopening came and went. Thailand is...if you read this forum you'll find every second article is about reopening to tourists, even if some articles contradict each other. And Vietnam will likely require a vaccine first before admitting anyone. So don't get your hopes up. It's a LONG road ahead. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

 

 

 

A cabinet made up of anti democracy old ex army and police are ensuring no whites or residents can return. What's wrong everything sounds normal..🤣

 

 

 

 

 

Thai ex army and police extend emergency for another month. Oh sorry cabinet 🤣🤣🤣

Yet "whites" are returning everyday. In some cases in larger numbers than Thais. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...