Thai Cabinet extends state of emergency for Covid by another month

webfact

1 hour ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

It's probably correct. Many countries have stated the same thing. The problem is NOTHING anyone says right now can be taken at face value; some are guestimates, others are just fear mongering. Do you believe the Thai virologist who is telling us we need to expect a "new normal" for the next 2 years? Or the Canadian health minister who said that Canadians may need to wear masks for 3 more years even IF a vaccine becomes available?

A vaccine is not guaranteed, but rest assured, Vietnam is quite likely to mandate it IF an effective one comes out and the WHO makes such a recommendation. Of course, most other countries will follow suit. Back in August, Vietnam already mandated all 2200 foreigners in that city, to undergo a COVID test. There was no option to say no. So if they can force foreigners to undergo Covid testing, forcing a vaccine doesn't seem to unlikely anymore. 

All 2200 foreigners in Danang. They were forced to undergo Covid testing. There was no right to refusal. Not sure what would have happened to a foreigner who refused to be tested. Communist countries are of course very authoritarian. There is no compromising, especially in a pandemic situation like this. 

5 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Unfounded speculation. 

Vietnam has traditionally erected more barriers to tourism than Thailand due to it's stubbornness in refusing to drop visa requirements other than a token gesture for fellow ASEAN nationals and a few nations like Russia and Scandinavia, but the latter only get 15 days and their flight itinerates are strictly scrutinized. Until recently, they also had to spend 2 months outside the country between visits, in order to be allowed to use another visa free entry. Despite all the complaints about Thai immigration (mostly by visa runners as legitimate arrivals don't face any issues), Vietnam has been much stricter in this respect. Vietnam is consistent almost 100% of the time, whereas Thailand is known for it's inconsistency. 

Unless Vietnam Airlines lifts its game and Vietnam drops visa requirements for tourists, then what you are saying ain't going to happen. Also, Singapore has for years been a more important transit hub than Bangkok anyway. There are far more flights and destinations that can be reached from there, for which there are no flights from Bangkok (and in many cases, never have been). From Singapore you can fly to Adelaide, Darwin, Cairns, Christchurch, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, New York/Newark, Johannesburg, Cape Town, Mauritius, a ton of Indonesian cities, Davao in the Philippines, Port Moresby, Fiji (Suva) and many many others that Bangkok does not offer service to. Nearly all destinations served from Bangkok are also served from Singapore, even if there might be less frequency (such as flights to Laos or Cambodia). 

It's highly unlikely Vietnam will open it's borders before Thailand. Technically, Thailand has already beat them to it, with the STV scheme (even if it's crazy in terms of all the requirements). Rest assured that the decision to reopen will be done on WHO advice and a proper reopening will occur almost simultaneously throughout the region. After all, that's what happened when countries closed down. It happened within days of one another. 

Eventually, all countries will adopt a more or less consistent approach to entry regulations; just like they did prior to the Covid crisis. What's happening now, with the ever changing rules and every man for himself is NOT a reflection of the future. It's simply an attempt to work within restrictive rules. I believe that both Thailand and Vietnam are being denied the freedom to decide for themselves whether they want to drop all restrictions or not. There's a lot more that goes on than meets the eye but I don't wish to discuss this any further on here. Just saying that the vast majority of people have no clue as to what is really going on and who calls the shots here. 

Yes it is speculation. You will no doubt have noted that I used the phrase "if Vietnam", a phrase which could as easily have been applied to virtually any other S E Asian country, as I have in other posts discussing the subject.

Virtually all the topics on these threads discussing the topic are speculation.

The nub of my argument is that Thailand has painted itself into a corner, by erecting the barriers and declaring the restrictions and requirements which it has, and has left itself little opportunity to react quickly and flexibly when borders throughout the region start to open up. Why? Because I very much suspect these restrictions are created to bring business benefits to a few influential individuals and the concerns they operate.

But this is speculation.

I am suitably impressed that you are so well informed, and are aware of who is calling the shots and what will happen. However there is little point, in a discussion forum, in declaring that, and then not being prepared to tell us what you know!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 12:12 AM, tomauasia said:

With some luck soon your very little friend Prayut will back in the kitchen throwing tea towels around. Unemployed because his not fit to set up a parliament.

What???

I simply stated a fact that thousands of foreigners have returned already. In your alternative universe that doesn't seem to be the case...

On 10/30/2020 at 6:54 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Yes it is speculation. You will no doubt have noted that I used the phrase "if Vietnam", a phrase which could as easily have been applied to virtually any other S E Asian country, as I have in other posts discussing the subject.

Virtually all the topics on these threads discussing the topic are speculation.

The nub of my argument is that Thailand has painted itself into a corner, by erecting the barriers and declaring the restrictions and requirements which it has, and has left itself little opportunity to react quickly and flexibly when borders throughout the region start to open up. Why? Because I very much suspect these restrictions are created to bring business benefits to a few influential individuals and the concerns they operate.

But this is speculation.

I am suitably impressed that you are so well informed, and are aware of who is calling the shots and what will happen. However there is little point, in a discussion forum, in declaring that, and then not being prepared to tell us what you know!

I'm suitably impressed you think that Thailand has been opening up less than it's neighbors.

This is complete <deleted>. 

I'm closely following who's opening up because I have business interests in neighboring countries.

As of today this is the latest:

Laos - to stay closed until at least Dec 31 except in the case of bilateral agreements currently being ironed out with some Asian countries (however, quarantines, tracking and other restrictions remain. This is hardly a proper reopening)

Malaysia - to remain closed until at least Dec 31 (already announced as early as August)

Myanmar - to remain closed until Nov 30, but almost certain to extend these measures until Dec 31.

Vietnam - no details for tourists. 

In short - there is no way we're going to see normal travel resume until January at the very earliest, but even that is VERY optimistic. 

Please dispense with the anti-Thai conspiracies and realize this is a global agenda. Every country is taking part. Period. Whenever borders re-open PROPERLY, Thailand will do so as quickly as every other country. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

4 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

I'm suitably impressed you think that Thailand has been opening up less than it's neighbors.

This is complete <deleted>. 

If you read my posts carefully you will see that I didn't say that.

I did say that, in my opinion, when borders do start to open, I think that Thailand will be less flexible and quick to respond than neighbouring countries.

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

If you read my posts carefully you will see that I didn't say that.

I did say that, in my opinion, when borders do start to open, I think that Thailand will be less flexible and quick to respond than neighbouring countries.

Highly doubt that.

Unfounded speculation based on nothing. Thailand actually closed it's borders a few days after the rest of the region did.

Every day they talk about wanting to let tourists back in, especially Chinese.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 9:02 PM, TheFreqFlyer said:

As of today this is the latest:

Laos - to stay closed until at least Dec 31 except in the case of bilateral agreements currently being ironed out with some Asian countries (however, quarantines, tracking and other restrictions remain. This is hardly a proper reopening)

Do you have a link for this information. You seem to have a better source of information than I do, cheers.