Visa extension exceeding passport expiry date

I went to Chiang Mai immigration today to ask about the visa extension beyond the passport expiry date but they said it's not possible.

I read somewhere in this forum, that the officer gave that retiree twelve months instead of less than 12 months even though his passport expiry date is less than 12 months. 

I requested to talk to the retirement extension officers but they refused and just asked a young 'volunteer' written on his badge to talk to me.

Can anyone who was in the same situation confirm or refute his statement?

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

Just dealt with this in Chiang Mai. US Passport expires May 2021. My Extension of Stay renewed in July 2020 would have carried me to July 2021. As US Passport was only valid until May ... that was the end date on my granted Extension of Stay. I renewed the US Passport (I wanted to maintain at least a six month validity ... required for entry into many countries in case travel opens up). With the new US Passport and voided US Passport, Chiang Mai Immigration put the documentation in new US Passport. Extension of Stay expires in May 2021.

• Like 1

My old passport was due to expire 27.03.2021.

I used an agency to get a 1 year extension. Much discussed agency here on TVF got the job done in Khon Kaen, but the new extension was valid until 18. 05 2021. Obviously a mistake.

What I did, got a new passport from my Embassy & letter for Immigration to transfer the Extension in the new PP. Handed both over to the agency again.

Otherwise I assume you would have problems, if you want to depart Thailand on the old passport, where the Thai Visa extension is valid beyond Passport validity.

Keeping it simple, your visa will expire when your passport expires. If you renew your passport before its expiry date, you can transfer the remainder of your visa to your new passport, but that will not change the expiry date of your visa.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Just dealt with this in Chiang Mai. US Passport expires May 2021. My Extension of Stay renewed in July 2020 would have carried me to July 2021. As US Passport was only valid until May ... that was the end date on my granted Extension of Stay. I renewed the US Passport (I wanted to maintain at least a six month validity ... required for entry into many countries in case travel opens up). With the new US Passport and voided US Passport, Chiang Mai Immigration put the documentation in new US Passport. Extension of Stay expires in May 2021.

Did you have to pay anything for the extension stamp to be transferred to the new passport?

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

Did you have to pay anything for the extension stamp to be transferred to the new passport?

Sorry, I have an agency take care of all immigration needs so any fee would have been included in their fee. I do not know if immigration charged a fee. The US Consulate letter requesting immigration assistance to transfer the Extension of Stay to the new Passport was included with both old and new Passports.