How long does it take to vote in your country ?

pagan1

Watching the news I am aghast at the queues and length of time taken for people to vote in the US. There are quotes of 1hr to 5hr queues.

In the UK I think the longest it has ever taken me to vote was about 10 mins.

It would be interesting to know if these reports from the US are correct and if so, how they can be justified in a country that can serve fast food in less than 3 minutes.

It would also be interesting to know typical voting times in other countries

• Like 1

In Australia always fast.. maybe 15 minutes if you go at the peak.

One reason is that the US states run by GOP Governers', and some state courts, are using a range of tricks to potentially limit votes e.g. limits on mail in voting times, photo ID laws, shut down polling places etc.  

The  Texas Supreme court just upheld a decision to limit ballot drop off locations to one per  county even though a county can be 1000's of square miles. I think the theory is that certain people, such as African Americans, are considered less likely to vote if it's difficult. 

It's making big news in Texas and may help inspire the people to vote and possibly turn Texas Democrat though that is not likely. 

It is hard to believe when you see people waiting in line all day to vote. Outrageous. 

16 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

It is hard to believe when you see people waiting in line all day to vote. Outrageous. 

So true.

The US system of colleges and the issues around voting must make it in the running for "The most undemocratic democracy" award. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Watching the news I am aghast at the queues and length of time taken for people to vote in the US. There are quotes of 1hr to 5hr queues.

In the UK I think the longest it has ever taken me to vote was about 10 mins.

It would be interesting to know if these reports from the US are correct and if so, how they can be justified in a country that can serve fast food in less than 3 minutes.

It would also be interesting to know typical voting times in other countries

My understanding is that this election serves as a special circumstance.    If you google information on past elections I think you'd find the time to vote in the USA was not lengthy.

One orange haired fellow has mucked up a lot of things  with the purpose of self benefit.

• Like 1