Tizer (One for the Brits).

phetphet

25 minutes ago, polpott said:

My earliest memories of Tizer were walking back from the match at Leeds Road (Huddersfield). Passed an old broken down cottage and the old guy inside had set up a trestle table with dozens of plastic beakers filled with Tizer on it. 3d a beaker. Didn't sell anything but Tizer.

Never even saw a bottle of Coca Cola until I was 16.

Funny you should mention the plastic beakers ... I don't ever remember seeing Tizer come in any kind of labelled container, it was always just in small plastic cups

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

I remember nicking a few from the back yard of the shop and then go round the front for the money. Shopkeeper was onto us and wouldn't give us our money, so we kicked off until he threatened to call the police. Still have no idea how he sussed us.

Did the same.  My Uncle had a chip shop and put a felt tip pen marker on the bottom of ALL his full bottles and  if he accepted other returned empty bottles they got a different mark, so he knew if they were his.

We knew to only take empty bottles to bigger shops who did not do the marking.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

I don't ever remember seeing Tizer come in any kind of labelled container, it was always just in small plastic cups

Along with a roll and chips and a fag for a shilling!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone remember Pimm's Lemonade?

Dad used to buy us a bottle on a Friday night, from the offy.

Only sussed out years later it was a cover up so he could buy something for himself.

Bit like him telling us that smoking got rid of mosquitoes.

5 minutes ago, Thujone said:

That pic brings back some memories.

Four of us would collect the bottles to claim the deposits, then buy 10 Sovereign cigarettes.

We would then sit and smoke them, (2.5 each), going green and pretending we were enjoying ourselves.

Happy days.

Posh lad.

Was Player's No.6 for us. 

????

Or 5 Park Drive, which were absolutely disgusting!

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

One for us Brits.

Was in Tops yesterday and came across tins of Tizer. Not seen this since my long distant schooldays. Looks like it's been jazzed up for the modern day.

Bought one just for the memory. Memory playing tricks. Tastes disgusting. ???? Seem to remember it tasting better.

Now I just need to keep an eye open for Quality Street for Christmas.

IMG_6693.jpg

think siamsburis have it on their shelves,......!!

1 minute ago, fangless said:

Lemonade?

I assume you mean one of the numbered Pimm's Gin based "ready made cocktails"

Nope, I'm sure it was Pimm's Lemonade, but I can't find any reference to it. I'll ask my sister, next time I call her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

I did , at a holiday camp in the mid '50s my dad bought us cream soda with a lump of vanilla ice cream in it.  Must have been god as I still remember it after about 65 years.

Funnily enough I bought a tin of cream soda  last Christmas in an expat store here in Samui. It wasn't R.Whites though.

that was the other name I remember besides Corona.

Remember the advert? R.Whites Lemona- a- ade!

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Which in itself is a great shame! ????

Now if you were to mention the real thing.......

Marmite.jpg.0a3bdf9fd3120b3899750819c9c8f1cd.jpg

Yes, I'm running for cover........... ????

My understanding is Marmite is a meat extract, which is why it can't be imported into Thailand, whereas Vegemite can. But the label says 100% vegetarian, have you guys finally seen the light?

Just now, Lacessit said:

My understanding is Marmite is a meat extract, which is why it can't be imported into Thailand, whereas Vegemite can. But the label says 100% vegetarian, have you guys finally seen the light?

I can always buy Marmite in Big C or Tops. Can't be much of a problem importing it.

58 minutes ago, faraday said:

Anyone remember Pimm's Lemonade?

Dad used to buy us a bottle on a Friday night, from the offy.

Only sussed out years later it was a cover up so he could buy something for himself.

Bit like him telling us that smoking got rid of mosquitoes.

If I recall correctly, Pimm's No 1 cup was the genteel route for ladies to get drunk.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Lacey old son, we Brits eat Marmite coz we is men. ????????

None of that namby Pamby vegan rubbish.

Btw, I've never actually eaten Vegimite...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm not British nor Australian, but Google tells me that they are the same thing.

https://www.mashed.com/198968/whats-the-difference-between-marmite-and-vegemite/

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Which in itself is a great shame! ????

Now if you were to mention the real thing.......

Marmite.jpg.0a3bdf9fd3120b3899750819c9c8f1cd.jpg

Yes, I'm running for cover........... ????

I've got 5 large jars in my fridge currently. Have it for breakfast every day. I hope it lasts until I can make another UK run. Keeps the mozzies off me, I never get bit if I've eaten Marmite.