Tizer (One for the Brits).

phetphet

8 minutes ago, faraday said:

But our cojones are larger....

I'm not posting any photos, it's against forum rules.

As far as hairy-chested goes, when I worked in Port Hedland, there were only two beer brands available - Swan Lager and Emu Bitter. We used to get the Brits fresh out of England who came to work there for the good money to the pub ( Only two ) and shout them an Emu Bitter. We'd tell them after they had imbibed a couple the brand had arsenic in it as a preservative, which was true. That sorted out the men from the boys.

Marmite was the original, Vegemite just a copy. Bovril for cold days and with Oxo also good for making Pabs, anyone from Lancashire will know what Pabs is. Another soft drink is sarsaparilla, haven't seen it since the seventies

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

I have, Marmite for girls.

According to The Culture Trip, there is a noticeable difference in the color and texture of the products. They describe Vegemite as being jet black and thick like peanut butter, while Marmite is more of a dark brown color with a syrup-like consistency similar to molasses, melted chocolate, or honey. They feel the flavor of Vegemite is more intense than Marmite, and should, therefore, be used even more sparingly than its British cousin. Chowhound recommends other less well-known ways to enjoy both spreads, including seasoning popcorn, stirred into congee, and even mixed into brownies.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/198968/whats-the-difference-between-marmite-and-vegemite/?utm_campaign=clip

IMO you've just confirmed my taste buds comment.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

According to The Culture Trip, there is a noticeable difference in the color and texture of the products. They describe Vegemite as being jet black and thick like peanut butter, while Marmite is more of a dark brown color with a syrup-like consistency similar to molasses, melted chocolate, or honey. They feel the flavor of Vegemite is more intense than Marmite, and should, therefore, be used even more sparingly than its British cousin. Chowhound recommends other less well-known ways to enjoy both spreads, including seasoning popcorn, stirred into congee, and even mixed into brownies.

Read More: https://www.mashed.com/198968/whats-the-difference-between-marmite-and-vegemite/?utm_campaign=clip

IMO you've just confirmed my taste buds comment.

I've tried both, several times. I don't mind Vegimite but it's definitely much milder. I have to put half a jar on to flavour a slice of toast.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

I've tried both, several times. I don't mind Vegimite but it's definitely much milder. I have to put half a jar on to flavour a slice of toast.

I would hate to see the results about eight hours later, half a jar will grease the complete suspension on a LandRover.

• Haha 2

Just now, polpott said:

As if. BTW your link is to an American hipster magazine. What do they know about Vegimite or Marmite?

Point taken, most Americans react to the taste of Vegemite as if they have been poisoned.

I once gave some on toast to a Thai lady who stayed over for breakfast, and she spent the next ten minutes at the kitchen sink washing her mouth out.

• Haha 2

Just now, Lacessit said:

Point taken, most Americans react to the taste of Vegemite as if they have been poisoned.

I once gave some on toast to a Thai lady who stayed over for breakfast, and she spent the next ten minutes at the kitchen sink washing her mouth out.

My Thai wife quite likes it. She had it for breakfast this morning but her absolute favourite farang food is crumpets. Mate brings a few packs over for me and I never get a look in.

29 minutes ago, polpott said:

I've got 5 large jars in my fridge currently. Have it for breakfast every day. I hope it lasts until I can make another UK run. Keeps the mozzies off me, I never get bit if I've eaten Marmite.

Correlation is not necessarily causation. For all you know, it could be your aftershave.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

My Thai wife quite likes it. She had it for breakfast this morning but her absolute favourite farang food is crumpets. Mate brings a few packs over for me and I never get a look in.

Now that really is trailing a lure, but I'm not biting.

Funnily enough, my Thai GF doesn't like Vegemite, but her grand-daughter keeps pinching it.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Correlation is not necessarily causation. For all you know, it could be your aftershave.

No mate. Its a well known fact that eating Marmite keeps the mossies off.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3150290/Under-siege-mozzies-Eat-Marmite-sarnie-biting-insects-year-fend-clever-tips.html

"Evidence eating vitamin B-rich Marmite helps keep mosquitoes away"

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Vegimite....too mild.

Edited by polpott

Just now, polpott said:

No mate. Its a well known fact that eating Marmite keeps the mossies off.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3150290/Under-siege-mozzies-Eat-Marmite-sarnie-biting-insects-year-fend-clever-tips.html

"Evidence eating vitamin B-rich Marmite helps keep mosquitoes away"

It was a joke, Joyce.

42 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Another soft drink is sarsaparilla, haven't seen it since the seventies

Sarsparilla became popular after the TV cowboy Sugarfoot who would always come into the saloon and order "Sarsparilla with a dash of cherry". After watching it I was desperate to try it, as were thousands of kids. Late 50s early 60s I think.

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

When I was a kid Corona came round on a truck in wooden crates , before this was Neptune i'm going back a bit now.

Back in the day I worked for them, not round the houses  with wooden crates, but on the big rigs delivering from factory to distribution depot. 

:smile:

Well seeing as how i hijacked this thread away from Tizer and on to Marmite (Sorry @phetphet )

Anyone else tried these?

Marmite.jpg.3fcd54e08b989090976281f41d70928f.jpg

The crunchy one is delicious (IMO)

Might even appeal to Americans.....after all a common snack in US is peanut butter and jelly (jam to those of us who speak English!)

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, polpott said:

Sarsparilla became popular after the TV cowboy Sugarfoot who would always come into the saloon and order "Sarsparilla with a dash of cherry". After watching it I was desperate to try it, as were thousands of kids. Late 50s early 60s I think.

Yup!

But we were disappointed to find out that it tasted of carbolic soap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, polpott said:

This is the real deal if you can find it.

MARMITE - Marmite XO 250g | Selfridges.com

Guess that is the equivalent of Plarah in a bottle.

Ever wondered why, apart from Aussies and Brits, nobody else in the world has ever heard about marmite and vegemite?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Guess that is the equivalent of Plarah in a bottle.

Ever wondered why, apart from Aussies and Brits, nobody else in the world has ever heard about marmite and vegemite?

Didn't you read the thread title? You shouldn't be reading this thread. It's our secret, what Empire was built on.

• Haha 1