Tizer (One for the Brits).

phetphet

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My understanding is Marmite is a meat extract, which is why it can't be imported into Thailand, whereas Vegemite can. But the label says 100% vegetarian, have you guys finally seen the light?

Both are rubbish, go for Bovril 

Image result for bovril images

Can get that in Siamburis

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My understanding is Marmite is a meat extract, which is why it can't be imported into Thailand, whereas Vegemite can. But the label says 100% vegetarian, have you guys finally seen the light?

Marmite is available on Lazada but expensive!!

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

My understanding of Bovril is it is used to make soup - hot beef soup.

Anyone who would want to ingest hot soup in the Thai climate IMO is a brick short of a load. It reminds me of the Noel Coward song.

3 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Total fake news!

1) Marmite is 100% vegetarian.

2) It is available at MANT shops (eg Villa, Emporium etc, etc.)

3)  Years ago I worked in London and the boss had a share in a racehorse. When it got old it was sold to the Bovril factory.

8 minutes ago, Patanawet said:

Thanks for the warning about Vegemite. still no reason to change from the original, the best --MARMMITE.

Kraft did bring out a mixture of Vegemite and cheese, based on the Australian habit of making sandwiches with a slice of cheddar and a smear of Vegemite.

Next, I suppose you guys will be claiming you make better beer. Please name one that outsells Fosters Lager worldwide.

6 minutes ago, onebir said:

tldr;

TVF Tizer soda pop thread morphs into internecine Commonwealth yeast/beef extract war

(Awaiting vegan reinforcements)

And it's possibly the most popular thread at the moment, far more answers than the serious stuff gets. Keep it up guys.

• Like 2

This is how I remember "Tizer" back in my youth many years ago - in a bottle:- (ref. wikipedia)

It was launched in 1924 by Fred and Tom Pickup of Manchester when it was known as "Pickup's Appetizer", and is the offspring of Vimto and Irn-Bru. After the death of the Pickup brothers it was owned by the Armour Trust before being sold to the Scottish drinks company A.G. Barr plc for £2.5 million in 1972.
Manufacturer: A.G. Barr plc (since 1972)
Introduced: 1924

Tizer pop photos - OneGuyFromBarlick

Phwor,  gotta try Marmite Guinness!

There is also Marmite Cheese, although I think V'mite did that first.

Marmite deffo stronger than V'mite but latter ok too.

British beer, of course it's the best, another empire building tonic the colonials and ROW are denied, so there! After learning some had escaped to Europe, we're cutting ties.

Tizer, tried recently and agree it's not the same as memory.

IrnBru, not tried for eons.

Vimto, error, no thanks.

Cream soda, not keen but love the Marinda Green Cream Soda.

Anyone remember "Quatro" tropical fruit drink, it was great and dumped on Lilt from a great height. Sadly gone.

No visitors = no good stuff ????

Edited by pookett
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, VBF said:

Well seeing as how i hijacked this thread away from Tizer and on to Marmite (Sorry @phetphet )

Anyone else tried these?

Marmite.jpg.3fcd54e08b989090976281f41d70928f.jpg

The crunchy one is delicious (IMO)

Might even appeal to Americans.....after all a common snack in US is peanut butter and jelly (jam to those of us who speak English!)

I've tried both and they're not bad but reading the label I tried a different approach. These contain 10% Marmite by weight and come in 250g jars but the base peanut butter is not that good and has palm oil in so I get a jar of decent 100% peanut butter (usually sold in 340g) and add 2-3 good teaspoons of Marmite before a good stir.

Better, cheaper, tastier. ???? 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

This is how I remember "Tizer" back in my youth many years ago - in a bottle:- (ref. wikipedia)

It was launched in 1924 by Fred and Tom Pickup of Manchester when it was known as "Pickup's Appetizer", and is the offspring of Vimto and Irn-Bru. After the death of the Pickup brothers it was owned by the Armour Trust before being sold to the Scottish drinks company A.G. Barr plc for £2.5 million in 1972.
Manufacturer: A.G. Barr plc (since 1972)
Introduced: 1924

Tizer pop photos - OneGuyFromBarlick

I remember it in a similar shaped bottle, different label and but it used to come wrapped in yellow cellophane. 

• Like 1