Tizer (One for the Brits).

phetphet

34 minutes ago, polpott said:

Guinness. And to add insult to injury:

Marmite - Wikipedia

Blatant misrepresentation. Guinness is a stout, not a beer. Although I admit the taste is not bad on a cold winters' day. Not really a drink for a hot climate.

Guinness must have done a good marketing job in Oz, because they convinced pregnant women of my mother's generation that drinking stout was good for them and the unborn baby. Now you know where some of my foibles come from.

18 minutes ago, mrfill said:

That was Lucozade - the drink for grannies or if you felt unwell... Sold initially as a pseudo-medicine - It's gone a bit trendier nowadays...

I recall a rival to Tizer called Fling in the 60s. It had a dimpled bottle that was coke shaped and orangey liquid like Tizer.

Lucozade. You are correct. My mistake.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:46 PM, Upnotover said:

There's none of this to be found in Thailand though....

image.png.4d4a382098c51f761a64ac20030f3c21.png

The bottles shown are later models i believe. I remember them with spring loaded ceramic caps like the Grolsch beer bottles. Also the the labels were different. The Crown logo was at the top of the label in a fan shape. I am of course ancient and am casting back to the late 40s, early 50s, so if anyone knows different?

16 minutes ago, Surasak said:

The bottles shown are later models i believe. I remember them with spring loaded ceramic caps like the Grolsch beer bottles. Also the the labels were different. The Crown logo was at the top of the label in a fan shape. I am of course ancient and am casting back to the late 40s, early 50s, so if anyone knows different?

Your memory is excellent, sir....

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Lacessit said:

By the time it has traveled here, then sat on a shelf awaiting a homesick Brit, it would not be surprising if it tasted differently.

At least Vegemite never changes.

I know. I've got a tub of it I've been trying to use up for nearly two years.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Blatant misrepresentation. Guinness is a stout, not a beer. Although I admit the taste is not bad on a cold winters' day. Not really a drink for a hot climate.

Guinness must have done a good marketing job in Oz, because they convinced pregnant women of my mother's generation that drinking stout was good for them and the unborn baby. Now you know where some of my foibles come from.

Stout is an abreviation of "stout beer". Fosters is a lager, not a beer. I've rarely seen Fosters in Thailand, Guinness is everywhere. You should try "Guinness Extra Cold" very refreshing. My gran used to drink a bottle of Mackeson (another stout beer) every day mixed 50/50 with milk. She even requested it on her death bed, it was the last thing that ever passed her lips. It is good for you.

"Stout contains antioxidants!

And although they're in all beers, stout contains nearly twice the amount of antioxidants found in light-coloured lagers. Stout is packed with flavonoids, the antioxidants that give fruit and vegetables their dark colour."

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Australia never used to brew real ale so could never reproduce Marmite properly but they come up with a yeast extract much like the supermarket own brand stuff which is made from goodness knows what.

Kangaroo dung, apparently.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, polpott said:

Woodbines. My old man smoked Capstan Full Strength on a night out. Rollies normally.

OK , while us Brits are talking about going outside to suck on a fag , the first ones I bought and other lads at school were Dominoes. Came in a paper sleeve about the size of a domino with dominoes printed on , 4 for 6d possibly.   

16 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I know. I've got a tub of it I've been trying to use up for nearly two years.

Send it to me, I get through one large jar every 6 weeks.

9 minutes ago, polpott said:

Stout is an abreviation of "stout beer". Fosters is a lager, not a beer. I've rarely seen Fosters in Thailand, Guinness is everywhere. You should try "Guinness Extra Cold" very refreshing. My gran used to drink a bottle of Mackeson (another stout beer) every day mixed 50/50 with milk. She even requested it on her death bed, it was the last thing that ever passed her lips. It is good for you.

"Stout contains antioxidants!

And although they're in all beers, stout contains nearly twice the amount of antioxidants found in light-coloured lagers. Stout is packed with flavonoids, the antioxidants that give fruit and vegetables their dark colour."

Lager is not a beer? News to me. I can find Fosters at Rimping in Chiang Mai, usually drink Leo because I'm not interested in paying inflated prices for imported beers, that have probably gone off in transport.

Apologies for raining on your parade. However, alcohol has been accorded the status of a Class 1 carcinogen since 1989. Saying stout is good for you is a bit like saying Trump is good for race relations.

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

I've tried both and they're not bad but reading the label I tried a different approach. These contain 10% Marmite by weight and come in 250g jars but the base peanut butter is not that good and has palm oil in so I get a jar of decent 100% peanut butter (usually sold in 340g) and add 2-3 good teaspoons of Marmite before a good stir.

Better, cheaper, tastier. ???? 

I'll try that - thanks ????

Bovril for me , on toast !!

Don’t care for Marmite or Vegemite but the gf likes Vegemite after being given a bottle of the Kids version  , now weened onto normal Vegemite which i used to bring back from the uk for her , back in the good old days when travel was popular ????

3DAA68DA-B375-4F9B-83F3-CFCE66C29EE7.png.bc271e2e06c7f9cdb77bac20732fa148.png

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My understanding of Bovril is it is used to make soup - hot beef soup.

Anyone who would want to ingest hot soup in the Thai climate IMO is a brick short of a load. It reminds me of the Noel Coward song.

Short of a brick load?  I've lost the hod!

Never liked it as a hot drink, I prefer to spread it on bread and dripping with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  DEEEEEEElicious

14 hours ago, Patanawet said:

Total fake news!

1) Marmite is 100% vegetarian.

2) It is available at MANT shops (eg Villa, Emporium etc, etc.)

3)  Years ago I worked in London and the boss had a share in a racehorse. When it got old it was sold to the Bovril factory.

Good flavour.  Unfortunately it has no positive effect on me, still not hung like a horse.

53 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Good flavour.  Unfortunately it has no positive effect on me, still not hung like a horse.

Vegemite, meat pies and Fosters Lager. You still won't be hung like a horse, but I promise it'll put lead in your pencil.

On 10/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, toofarnorth said:

When I was a kid Corona came round on a truck in wooden crates , before this was Neptune i'm going back a bit now.

Oh what memories, when i was about 12yr ( Yay riding in a truck) I used to help the driver deliver on our estate, I got a free bottle. My favorite was limeade. 

• Like 1

I have given up trying to regain tastes from my youth,

I had a relative bring me some Cox's Orange pippins,

Conference pears,and some Victoria plums, very

disappointed,they didn't have the taste I so fondly

remember,I fancy some Jersey Royal new potatoes,

just boiled with some butter on, maybe just remember

what they used to taste like..wonderful, 

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I have given up trying to regain tastes from my youth,

I hope you don't have a yearning for Nukie Brown aka Dog. Newcastle's greatest claim to fame. Now brewed in the US by Heineken with a different recipe. Just a distant memory.

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

I hope you don't have a yearning for Nukie Brown aka Dog. Newcastle's greatest claim to fame. Now brewed in the US by Heineken with a different recipe. Just a distant memory.

I noticed the dark beer Laos, reminds me of  Nukie.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I noticed the dark beer Laos, reminds me of  Nukie.

59 minutes ago, polpott said:

Exhibition!????

9 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Exhibition!????

Loved it on tap but didn't travel well outside Newcastle. Now brewed by John Smiths in Tadcaster. Was a cask beer, now just another pasteurised keg beer.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 1

10 pages of trivia , just goes to show how comments on beer ( and Fosters lager ) and black stuff in jars can wake up long forgotten taste buds.  Time folks lightened up , too much misery in the world right now.    Anyone remember sweet tobacco ? Now thinking back to school days and catching the train home after swimming , along the way was a sweet shop  that sold sticky sweet things wrapped in tin foil on a stick and sweet backy.  Came in a pouch like the real stuff . 

Oh we knew this shop as ' The penny drink shop '.

Reigate , Surrey, I wonder if the shop is still there , I wonder if sweet backy is non PC.