Tizer (One for the Brits).

phetphet

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

10 pages of trivia , just goes to show how comments on beer ( and Fosters lager ) and black stuff in jars can wake up long forgotten taste buds.  Time folks lightened up , too much misery in the world right now.    Anyone remember sweet tobacco ? Now thinking back to school days and catching the train home after swimming , along the way was a sweet shop  that sold sticky sweet things wrapped in tin foil on a stick and sweet backy.  Came in a pouch like the real stuff . 

Oh we knew this shop as ' The penny drink shop '.

Reigate , Surrey, I wonder if the shop is still there , I wonder if sweet backy is non PC.

I'd long forgotten about the sweet tobacco, until you mentioned it. It was made from coconut pieces, wasn't it?

And sweet cigarettes, complete with red dye on the end for realism.

Definitely can't mention Black Jack's though...????

Fruit Salads, 4 for a penny, if memory serves me right (doubtful)

I fully expect in these woke times for 'non -binary nougat' or 'gender - neutral toffee' - both vegan & environment friendly, to be touted by some 'socially aware' manufacturer.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Coke float! I bemuses Thais, but the kids like it.

Ok, I'm :offtopic:again!!

But Shandy bemuses Thais as well. Closest you can get to lemonade in bars in Patts was Sprite and when I ordered a Leo and a Sprite once and mixed them, the barmaid was amazed! However when she tasted it, the verdict was "aroi" ????

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Vegemite, meat pies and Fosters Lager. You still won't be hung like a horse, but I promise it'll put lead in your pencil.

Welcome to the ThaiVisa Michelin Guide 2020 ????   

Clearly a balanced diet :sorry:

8 hours ago, faraday said:

I'd long forgotten about the sweet tobacco, until you mentioned it. It was made from coconut pieces, wasn't it?

And sweet cigarettes, complete with red dye on the end for realism.

Definitely can't mention Black Jack's though...????

Fruit Salads, 4 for a penny, if memory serves me right (doubtful)

I fully expect in these woke times for 'non -binary nougat' or 'gender - neutral toffee' - both vegan & environment friendly, to be touted by some 'socially aware' manufacturer.

And Sherbet Fountains. 

Funnily enough,  the last time I was back in London in March, I went to Poppies Fish and Chip shop in Hanbury St, Spitalfields, and the bill bill came in a little wire pot witha couple of Fruit Salads and Blackjacks.

I thought they werelong gone, but apparently not.

Here is something to stir your memories. Blackjacks  included. 

https://barrattsweets.co.uk/sweets/sherbet-fountain/

On 10/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, CraigInBangkok said:

I remember Corona delivered in milk crates and was a fan of R-Whites Lemonade ... I wonder if operation yewtree ever got around to investigating the guy from the ads 

It was Elvis Costello's Dad.

Anyone for Kendal Mint Cake ? pure sugar with a calorific value high enough for instant energy boost. The things we remember reading a thread like this, much more pleasant than most , thanks O P...

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:18 PM, Lacessit said:

By the time it has traveled here, then sat on a shelf awaiting a homesick Brit, it would not be surprising if it tasted differently.

At least Vegemite never changes.

No....vegemite does, and always will, taste like bat droppings.

so I am reliably informed by my Chinese friend.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, PJPom said:

Anyone for Kendal Mint Cake ? pure sugar with a calorific value high enough for instant energy boost. The things we remember reading a thread like this, much more pleasant than most , thanks O P...

I mistakenly bought that once, thinking it was some sort of mint flavoured cake or biscuit. Thought to myself "That sounds nice."  Jesus! As you say, a lump of pure sugar! ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

I mistakenly bought that once, thinking it was some sort of mint flavoured cake or biscuit. Thought to myself "That sounds nice."  Jesus! As you say, a lump of pure sugar! ????

it was OK for Sir Edmund Hillary when he climbed Everest. Mountaineers to this day still carry it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Apparently, he sang the song but wasn't the actor in the ads

Yes that is right. He was only a small chap. EC did some of the backing vocals.

Poor quality vid. Dad Ross, son Declan (EC) with Joe Loss and his orchestra.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1