Cabinet gives initial nod to letting passengers off cruise ships

snoop1130

9 hours ago, Katipo said:

Ah yes, cruise ships. The great floating Covid petri dishes of the sea.

Ah yes floating petri dishes. Anyone  remember the Ruby Princess dropping a few folk off in Sydney at the beginning of the year? Spread cases across the world.

2 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Ah yes floating petri dishes. Anyone  remember the Ruby Princess dropping a few folk off in Sydney at the beginning of the year? Spread cases across the world.

Yup ! And the cruise ships and cargo ships in WA. 

• Like 1

If they allowed Australians in on an economically viable 14 day quarantine/90 day visa, I would leave tomorrow. We have so few cases here even the quarantine should be waved but that's not going to happen in a hurry. Instead of taking reasonably safe steps to reintroduce tourism they come up with these grandiose schemes involving ridiculous tourist sources and expensive resorts, even proposing taking highly risky Scandinavians in November. I am sure there are much simpler and safer ways for Thailand to resurrect their tourist industry. The last thing cruise people will want to do is spend 90 days in Thailand.

"This is your captain speaking.

Would those passengers signed up for Bangkok please prepare to disembark.

Remember to take all your belongings with you.

Please also note we won't be returning in 90 days to pick you up.

Bon Voyage suckers!"

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The visitors will also have to agree to go into quarantine for at least 14 days, as well as have health coverage of US$100,000 for Covid-19 as well as local health and accident insurance.

Does this government really live in cloud cuckoo land?

I hope they get the cruise port ready by that time, as there will be a queue to anchor.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just read an article in the BP, where the government will now be also allowing foreigners to obtain an STV who have arrived with private yachts, as well as allowing their crews to come ashore, but they must also have the money, pay the fees and have the insurance as well after 14 days of quarantine.  Again a non-starter.

For some, this would work out great.  Lots of yachties visit Thailand.  For extended periods of time.

15 hours ago, fangless said:

I thought the object of being on a cruise ship was to cruise around the ocean blue, spend a day in harbour and if possible overnight sail to the next port of call and repeat ad nauseum. 

I do not remember seeing any adverts for "Staycruises" where you have one night at sea, 14 days in a hotel!!!, 1 day sightseeing and off to the next quarantine cycle!!

Show me a brochure for this never in a lifetime opportunity and I will sign up immediately!! (like hell I will)

PS;  "ad nauseum"; I believe it is either Latin for seasickness or for the outpourings of the TAT.  I think both explanations equally apply!

And captain and crew I don’t understand that at all, I’ve worked on ships they only go ashore for a few hours and only if their off shift

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The visitors will also have to agree to go into quarantine for at least 14 days, as well as have health coverage of US$100,000 for Covid-19 as well as local health and accident insurance. Proof of advance payment for the anchoring of the liner will also have to be provided.

Eligible tourists will be allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days, after which they will be allowed to extend their stay twice, by 90 days each time.

How long does a cruise ship normally dock for?

I thought a cruise meant sailing to various destinations not holed up in one port.

• Like 1