Jump to content

Retirement Visa: Requirements, Limitations, Effect on Current Nation's Residency


Recommended Posts

I'm not eligible for this but thinking long-term for future & friends have inquiries. If these questions are already answered by a past forum, please feel free to note. 

 

1) Updated reqs are: Age 50+, Proof insurance & finance, 800,000 THB in Thai Bank for 3 months (no longer 2)?

2) Does Ret visa inhibit ability to hold primary residence in current nation (are you considered now primarily residing in TH)?

3) Would Retirement visa prohibit one from working in their current nation if they wanted to continue working?

4) Is there a number of months per year you must reside in Thailand to hold the Retirement visa?

5) I've heard rumors about the Retirement visa being cancelled; is there real evidence of this?

 

Many thanks for any info folks.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Dr J.  Correct me if wrong but yes proper terminology seems to be Non Immigrant O or OA Long-Stay Visa depending on if applied for within or outside TH. I imagine if you cannot work in TH on this visa you probably cannot run a business either (that would require a different type of visa)?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Again thanks. Not sure what you mean by 'nonsense insurance' tho. How about obtaining a non-O for Canadians? I'm guessing from what you're saying also that an American citizen or resident can obtain Non-O Longterm visa if they enter on a tourist visa and apply from within TH?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Again thanks. Not sure what you mean by 'nonsense insurance' tho. How about obtaining a non-O for Canadians? I'm guessing from what you're saying also that an American citizen or resident can obtain Non-O Longterm visa if they enter on a tourist visa and apply from within TH?

That's correct. Not sure re Canadians. 

However it's simple process to enter Thailand (when borders open) and obtain non o inside Thailand. 

One slight hitch. I'm guessing you haven't been to Thailand much and perhaps don't have Thai bank account. 

One requirement is to show funds in Thai bank that has come from overseas. 

If you don't have existing Thai bank account perhaps consider enter on tourist visa that gives you more time. 

However a visa exempt entry can be extended by 30 days so it's possible to do it that way also.

The nonsense insurance was referring to requirement for obtaining Non O-A.

This guy can give you good advice on options. @Peter Denis

 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone like me came on a tourist visa it looks like the process involves first changing that to a 90-day Non-Immigrant visa, then making application for the Non O-A Longstay. That makes me curious if the 800,000 THB needs to be in a TH bank account 3 months before applying for the 90-day, or 3 months before applying for the actual Non O-A Longstay?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

Correct me if wrong but yes proper terminology seems to be Non Immigrant O or OA Long-Stay Visa depending on if applied for within or outside TH. //

 

Both Non O and Non O-A are visas that you get outside of Thailand.

A Thai visa is mainly an authorisation to enter in the the country and to get an authorisation of stay when you arrive. No point in asking for a visa when already in Thailand.

Main exception is the "change" of your visa type in a Non O visa if you want to apply for a yearly extension.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Thailand you apply for a 12 month extension of stay (not a visa)

Money in a Thai bank for 2 months before application.

Edited by fishtank
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

hat makes me curious if the 800,000 THB needs to be in a TH bank account 3 months before applying for the 90-day, or 3 months before applying for the actual Non O-A Longstay?

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank on the day the non-o visa is applied for at immigration. But you need to prove it came from abroad.

For the extension of stay it needs to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

 

8 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

How about obtaining a non-O for Canadians?

A non-o visa can be applied for at a honorary consulate in Canada. They cannot be applied for at the embassy in Ottawa or the official consulate in Vancouver.

At this time the only visa that would allow entry to the country is a OA or OX visa due to the covid 19 restrictions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, fishtank said:

In Thailand you apply for a 12 month extension of stay (not a visa)

Money in a Thai bank for 2 months before application.

If you entered visa exempt or on tourist visa the first step to obtaining an annual extension based on retirement is to obtain a non o issued at immigration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dragonboat Ronin said:

If someone like me came on a tourist visa it looks like the process involves first changing that to a 90-day Non-Immigrant visa, then making application for the Non O-A Longstay. That makes me curious if the 800,000 THB needs to be in a TH bank account 3 months before applying for the 90-day, or 3 months before applying for the actual Non O-A Longstay?

Correct responses have already been provided by UJ.

But just want to mention that you can ONLY apply for the Non O-A Longstay Visa in your home-country (or country of permanent residence).  

When entering Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa (obviously currently not possible) you can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, but that would require having the required funds on your Thai bank-account at the moment of application

An advantage of the Non Imm O-A Visa is that it does NOT require you to park/transfer money to a personal Thai bank-account, during the almost 2 years of long-stay that Visa can provide you and with no need to to apply twice for the 1-year extension at your local IO.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the Non Imm O-A insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (it is easy if you know how).

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Correct responses have already been provided by UJ.

But just want to mention that you can ONLY apply for the Non O-A Longstay Visa in your home-country (or country of permanent residence).  

When entering Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa (obviously currently not possible) you can apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa, but that would require having the required funds on your Thai bank-account at the moment of application

An advantage of the Non Imm O-A Visa is that it does NOT require you to park/transfer money to a personal Thai bank-account, during the almost 2 years of long-stay that Visa can provide you and with no need to to apply twice for the 1-year extension at your local IO.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the Non Imm O-A insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (it is easy if you know how).

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Hi, any chance you could PM one to me as well? I'm mulling the use of a Non O-A for next year's vacation and I'm not sure about the medical insurance aspect of it. 

 

Thanks, Glen

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • JAS21 locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...