Riding motorbike with heavy backpack?

RickG16

Hi guys, I'm just doing some pondering for a future trip ....

Is riding a motorbike long distances with a heavy and full backpack on dangerous? Or are there certain types of bike that it is ok with?

I've done it before but just short distances on familiar roads. 

Cheers

Edited by RickG16

Ive lived in LOS for over a decade. each time I fly back I bring only a carry on 7k backpack.....bare essential as I can buy anything else there....always the golden rule to pack light. esp when humping it around in asia heat

as for the mbike ive moved apts using my mbike...often I'll hang my pack on handlebars facing towards me so its between my legs between the from wheels and the engine..can kinda keep it in place with straps over mirrors and using my legs on turns..depends on bike size as well....as noted strapping it down behind you-cargo net

I don't know why you want to carry a big load, you’ll have your reasons.  I think 4 or 5 kg.  (Including gf)..and It is enough to carry everything you need. IMO

This is what I used for trips around the Country for years in my old Honda Phantom, 

4BABB3C9-06F7-4812-84DD-E19F11C2EAF4.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 2

If weight on shoulders you get tired after an hour, as mentioned loosen the straps so weight is on the seat. On scooters between your legs fine, I've done 6 hours tour like that no problem, straps around handlebars - make sure it does not impede the handlebar movement...

One other thing though, watch out for rain, I recently bought a backpack that was supposed to be fully waterproof, with special zippers and inner lining and so on , once the Phuket monsoon rain came down and after 10 minutes before I could find shelter, it was soaked wet inside to the bottom. Now a black bin liner is put in the side pocket for those rains...!

I never ride with a backpack. Too restrictive and I never use one in normal life. Oh wait company gave me a Notebook Dell in a backpack. hated that.

Depends on the bike.

-Tank bag? (No good if bike has a plastic tank)

-Tail bag

-DIY tail bag? Regular gym type bag bungied on the rear seat? Or the rack, if bike has one.

-Get a Givi Box and rack?

-Or a saddle bag as above post.

I bought a cheap gym type back from a local market. Poked some holes (2)  at the bottom corner of both sides with a soldering iron and used two short bungy cords threaded through the bag to attach the bag to the rear of the seat. Use bin liner to protect clothing.

Used to travel a lot in Indo. Used a small 28l Givi type box and a tank bag. Still have two tank bags somewhere.

Below is not me.

brad-pitt-motorcycle-soft-tail-bag.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the responses. Seems a lot comes down to personal preference.

FYI this is a big rucksack for travelling (for obvious reasons the trip wouldn't happen soon).

So is the consensus that this type of rucksack should go over your shoulders and sit on the back seat (that's how I've done it over short distances), or between your legs on the floor?

I am considering buying a Yamaha R15 ... would have a few weeks getting used to it first before the trip. As non-bike guy I would like to ask.... is this a completely unsuitable bike for travelling long distances with a rucksack?

Thanks again

Edited by RickG16
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Ive lived in LOS for over a decade. each time I fly back I bring only a carry on 7k backpack.....bare essential as I can buy anything else there....always the golden rule to pack light. esp when humping it around in asia heat

as for the mbike ive moved apts using my mbike...often I'll hang my pack on handlebars facing towards me so its between my legs between the from wheels and the engine..can kinda keep it in place with straps over mirrors and using my legs on turns..depends on bike size as well....as noted strapping it down behind you-cargo net

That sounds like a big risk if that backpack moves. And that moves, and maybe blocks, the handlebars.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Something like the bags below would be a far better option (if the Op doesn’t mind purchasing something). 

Otherwise just strap the backpack across the backseat with Roc-straps (or something similar).

I use a North Face Duffel Bag which straps across the back seat / rack.

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 12.16.47.png

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 12.18.00.png

Screenshot 2020-10-29 at 12.19.48.png

Looks interesting. Do those bags have a (category) name?

• Like 1

Just now, Agusts said:

Yes, you guessed it, Yamaha R15 wouldn't be comfortable for touring and long distance ride...

Care to name a few which would?

I guess the sportier the bike the less comfortable for longer distances?

Just now, RickG16 said:

Care to name a few which would?

I guess the sportier the bike the less comfortable for longer distances?

Depends on your budget and taste I guess, any naked bike is better than sports bike, then touring bikes and cruisers, but they are pricey and not useful in town...

Do you like automatic scooters or want manual clutch and gear...? And the budget..? How far are you touring ..., a few hours or longer...!?

I recommend a used Forza 300cc , 4 or 5 years old, about 60 or 70k baht in good condition.... Then again I'm biased, I'm riding one...! lol ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Thanks for all the responses. Seems a lot comes down to personal preference.

FYI this is a big rucksack for travelling (for obvious reasons the trip wouldn't happen soon).

So is the consensus that this type of rucksack should go over your shoulders and sit on the back seat (that's how I've done it over short distances), or between your legs on the floor?

I am considering buying a Yamaha R15 ... would have a few weeks getting used to it first before the trip. As non-bike guy I would like to ask.... is this a completely unsuitable bike for travelling long distances with a rucksack?

Thanks again

I’d consider an R15 the wrong bike for long distances due to the forward riding position with some of the weight of your upper body supported by your arms / hands which will get tired. This will be amplified when wearing a back back. 

If riding with a ‘loose backpack’ which sits on the seat but is still over your shoulders there is a high risk of this moving or falling to the side and ‘pulling an arm’. I’d never ride with a heavy backpack - IMO thats asking for trouble and discomfort. 

In your bike choice - considering something with a more upright riding position where there is no or very little weight on your arms and hands. 

You may also want a little more ‘grunt’ for longer distance riding - the Kawasaki Versys seems very popular and comes with the X-300cc or even a 650cc or something similar. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How far do you intend to travel each day?

I used to ride 220kms each way and back.every weekend on an NSR150R about the same size, maybe, as a R15. As I have said I had a top box and tank bag. Not a problem for me. I have ridden from Udon to Bangkok in one day on an NSR 250 (bit bigger than R15 but not much) also not a problem.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That sounds like a big risk if that backpack moves. And that moves, and maybe blocks, the handlebars.

My pack is normal sized and i pull the straps tight after put over mirror bars...it then just sits between my legs..has worked well as Ive done it many times for moving around cm with other items onboard...I adjust the straps so the pack hangs a little lower, resting against the mbike frame and between my legs to lock it down and allow turning..or i wear the pack normally and let the weight of it sit on the rest of my mbike seat .....not saying its the best way but works for me....i do a test run with it on....but then again I bring this pack as a carry on when I live in LOS...so I always pack light and keep it under 15lbs-7kg limit...gets lighter each time I return......depends on the mbike too as mine was a old honda dream..a automatic-scoopy would give much more floorboard room, as you usually see a big old dog or fluffy thai pooch hanging out on the floor decks as opposed to basket pups

Got these panniers made by a guy in Patong and they are more than big enough for my travel needs.

Also got a local lady to make bags that sit perfetly inside them to make it easy to take stuff out of the bike.

Felt good supporting local Thai businesses and  I got exactly what I wanted!!

Cheers

IMG_2713.JPG

• Like 2