Prayut okays charter change, ending Senate’s power to vote for PM

webfact

Prayut okays charter change, ending Senate’s power to vote for PM

By The Nation

800_598d0845f21fa3f.jpg?v=1603876911

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha gave the green light to amending the Constitution on Wednesday, as Parliament’s two-day special debate on the political crisis wrapped up.

Prayut said he agreed with many of the points made by MPs about the crisis, but said the main thing was to support charter amendment.

However, Parliament must follow the current Constitution, since it would remain in effect until a new Constitution is established, he added.

Charter amendment is one of three core demands being made by anti-establishment protesters. They have also demanded the resignation of Prayut and his government, and reforms to the monarchy.

Prayut has insisted he will not resign but said he had no objection to “switching off” the unelected Senate’s power to vote for a prime minister.

"I agree to amend the constitution,” said the premier.

“As for the issue of senators choosing a prime minister, I don't want to emphasise it. I have no objection to them choosing or not choosing. It's a matter for debate in Parliament,” he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396931

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-29

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

So, a junta based parliament is going to debate whether a junta based senate can appoint a junta based PM ? Smoke and mirrors to me. 

Unelected Senate (one half of Parliament) will vote on whether they will keep voting for PM......I have no objection to them choosing or not choosing. It's a matter for debate in Parliament,

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snawa said:

Unelected Senate (one half of Parliament) will vote on whether they will keep voting for PM......I have no objection to them choosing or not choosing. It's a matter for debate in Parliament,

Half of them are military appointed; therefore, will vote for a military PM. The other half consists of the opposition and ‘coalition’. Coalition meaning they have the numbers. 

Parliament is a lost cause. Hence protesters on the street. 

Edited by rkidlad

5 hours ago, webfact said:

"I agree to amend the constitution,” said the premier.

Sheesh. Who died and made this guy queen?

"Charter ammendments coming tomorrow"

Yes, I pinched that from the sign often seen in bars: "Free Beer Tomorrow".

The Senate gig is sweet: huge salary, four paid positions for "family". No work, plenty of time to snooze.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut has insisted he will not resign but said he had no objection to “switching off” the unelected Senate’s power to vote for a prime minister.

A very small carrot, I'll wait for the steak & spuds to follow.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha gave the green light to amending the Constitution on Wednesday, as Parliament’s two-day special debate on the political crisis wrapped up.

I've heard Aussie MP's tell some beauties over the years, but this man just leaves them for dead. How many years between coup and election? How much corruption really cleaned up? How's the healing and reconciliation going?

Nah! Nothing's going to change.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, newatthis said:

I've heard Aussie MP's tell some beauties over the years, but this man just leaves them for dead. How many years between coup and election? How much corruption really cleaned up? How's the healing and reconciliation going?

Nah! Nothing's going to change.

Had there been steps (as promised) to cease the corruption, and to have a path towards reconciliation, then the protesters would not be on the streets.

I guess having the tanks, water cannons, riot squads ( and submarines) gives him the upper hand

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

He and they are creating a potential civil war and a huge divide that will never be repaired between the generations. 

The potential for civil war has existed for many years.

But the great departure was the final click in the combination that unlocked the wind.

There's no undoing that.

The die is cast.

There's no going back.

• Like 1

So, let me get this right.

Although the article implies Prayut has agreed to the senate losing it's bloc in choosing the PM, firstly Prayut is in no position to agree this and secondly the charter remains unchanged until changes have been agreed both by Parliament, I assume without a senate vote, and then in a referendum.

In other words, it isn't going to happen under this Government as they won't vote for the change, meaning the current senate will still be in a position to help choose the PM after the next election, whenever that is, meaning that regardless of the outcome of an election, unless there's an absolute landslide by the current opposition, which will never be allowed by the biased and probably corrupt EC, Thailand is likely to continue to have a military PM.

That's Thai democracy!