Staggering early vote turnout boosts hopes for Biden in Texas

webfact

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Why should one disregard the votes of electors who live in California, yet count those of voters in Florida for example?

They aren't disregarded. Their votes ARE counted, in California.  THey have no bearing in other areas. That is why the country is called the United  ..."States". It doesnt matter if you win a state by one vote or one million.  You get the same number of electors to the Electoral College. 

Each state basically has their own election independent of the others. The electors are decided by counting the total of their members in congress and the Senate together.  They get together to form the Electoral College and choose the President. 

But I am sure you knew that already. 

An equally irrelevant statistic would be to look at how many counties each candidate won. Trump won 2,600 counties, Hillary about 500. Or states-  Hillary won 21 states (plus DC), Trump won 29.

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Trump is 74 and will be 78 at the end of his second term.  You're OK with that, but not OK with Biden's age?  Really?

Neither candidate is great.  But Trump is horrible.  That's been proven.

At that age, every year counts for 3 or 4...so Biden is mentally 12-16 years older than Trump, and has the mental capacity of a 86-90 year old.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

At that age, every year counts for 3 or 4...so Joe is mentally 12-15 years older than Trump, and has the mental capacity of a 90-93 year old.

Both should not be running for president.  Too much at stake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Couldn't believe you, but true, that word is not allowed. Apparently sensitive here.

Yes very true.  I can not even use the name for my Harley Davidson back in the States.  It is a Road "Monarch" 

The election seems to be tightening up from many reports I have read, and then there are oters that say it is a forgone conclusion that Biden will be elected, but if for a reason he looses he will accept the results.  This will be interesting as it goes to the wire and Hilary's Electoral College Vote.

Edited by ThailandRyan

1 minute ago, xofswen said:

So then, who SHOULD be running?

I wanted Buttigieg and Kamala to run on the same ticket.  Just to <deleted> off the crazy conservatives.  A gay guy and a black woman.  Their heads would have exploded! ????

But seriously, they are both very well qualified candidates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Another reason, of many, to not vote for Trump.  He's using our government resources to benefit himself.  Again.  If this was Biden's doing, many would be screaming bloody hell.  But with Trump, they give him a pass.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/us/politics/trump-erdogan-halkbank.html

The president was discussing an active criminal case with the authoritarian leader of a nation in which Mr. Trump does business; he reported receiving at least $2.6 million in net income from operations in Turkey from 2015 through 2018, according to tax records obtained by The New York Times.

......not forgetting what his daughter and son-in-law have milked out of the system

• Like 2

Just now, Surelynot said:

......not forgetting what his daughter and son-in-law have milked out of the system

It's a long list of transgressions.  Should include all transgressions done by his enablers also.  Again, a looooong list.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I wanted Buttigieg and Kamala to run on the same ticket.  Just to <deleted> off the crazy conservatives.  A gay guy and a black woman.  Their heads would have exploded! ????

But seriously, they are both very well qualified candidates.

I somehow think you don't know too many conservatives.  I am one of them and never heard anyone disparage either of those two for their gender or bedroom activities or race.

I can understand how perhaps, perhaps Sen. Harris may be suitable for a small promotion, say to a minor cabinet position in a Democratic government, but Mayor Pete?  Please.   He seemed like a bright young guy, but throw him back and let him grow up a bit first. Maybe run for Congress, Governor perhaps, then head for the big chair.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I somehow think you don't know too many conservatives.  I am one of them and never heard anyone disparage either of those two for their gender or bedroom activities or race.

I can understand how perhaps, perhaps Sen. Harris may be suitable for a small promotion, say to a minor cabinet position in a Democratic government, but Mayor Pete?  Please.   He seemed like a bright young guy, but throw him back and let him grow up a bit first. Maybe run for Congress, Governor perhaps, then head for the big chair.

Why, trump got in with none of the attributes you mention.

Then again, it was a disaster.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I'm a conservative.  Life long member of the GOP.  Only did straight party line votes.  Until the second Iraq war, then I went independent.  But still conservative, ala Buckley.  NOT like today's conservatives.  Things have changed drastically in the past 20 years. 

I've heard many conservatives bashing these two.  And any democrat.  It's insane and gotten worse under Trump.  He's enabling them to be nasty.

I was just saying this tongue in cheek.  I don't follow elections until the primaries.  So know nothing about Pete.  Well, I know one thing! ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Kamala is a Jamaican Indian, so she can join the Bobsled team if she wants, but to call a her Black is not completely true.  You would have to dig deep into the ancestry and lineage of her family to tell if is she has an African lineage.  There are also Jamaicans who are of Caucasian, Asian (Chinese, East Indian), and Middle Eastern heritage. There is a lot of mixture. Now that Jamaican genealogical records are on-line and more people are working on their family trees, even some people who do not appear to be mixed are surprised to discover that they are of mixed heritage. 

Imagine you telling Bob Marley he is Black.  he would tell you:

I don't stand for the black man's side, I don' t stand for the white man's side. I stand for God's side.

Bob Marley

Just saying what Kamala says.  On TV, she said she's black.  I think 50% Jamaican is close enough.

I'm a mutt. ????

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Kamala is a Jamaican Indian, so she can join the Bobsled team if she wants, but to call a her Black is not completely true.  You would have to dig deep into the ancestry and lineage of her family to tell if is she has an African lineage.  There are also Jamaicans who are of Caucasian, Asian (Chinese, East Indian), and Middle Eastern heritage. There is a lot of mixture. Now that Jamaican genealogical records are on-line and more people are working on their family trees, even some people who do not appear to be mixed are surprised to discover that they are of mixed heritage. 

Imagine you telling Bob Marley he is Black.  he would tell you:

I don't stand for the black man's side, I don' t stand for the white man's side. I stand for God's side.

Bob Marley

You liftws lyrics from a song of his that's not about his racial identity but where he stands on the matter of justice.  Not a real convincing attempt to read the mind of a dead man.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I'm a conservative.  Life long member of the GOP.  Only did straight party line votes.  Until the second Iraq war, then I went independent.  But still conservative, ala Buckley.  NOT like today's conservatives.  Things have changed drastically in the past 20 years. 

I've heard many conservatives bashing these two.  And any democrat.  It's insane and gotten worse under Trump.  He's enabling them to be nasty.

I was just saying this tongue in cheek.  I don't follow elections until the primaries.  So know nothing about Pete.  Well, I know one thing! ????

Fair enough. There are idiots enough to go around at all points on the political spectrum.  

I tend libertarian myself. Not impressed with either party and their free spending ways. One thing Pete has going for him, he's a one man man, no two divorces in his past!  

Edited by Hanaguma
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

He inherited almost half a billion dollars from his father and repeatedly managed to run his companies into the ground and bankruptcy. The only thing that saved him from ruination was the success of The Apprentice where he impersonated a successful businessman. He's been a spoiled child his entire life. He also managed to run up the deficit for no good reason, tried to destroy obamacare while lying that he had a replacement, is doing his level best to promote pollution and increase the US contribution to global warming.

And anybody who looks at a graph of how the economy was doing will see that there has been a steady improvement since the early days of the obama admininistration. His trade deal with Mexico and Canada will accomplish almost nothing even by the evaluation of the US govt. Well, it did dramatically improve the lives of some workers. They happened to be Mexicans. You see, rather then move their plants to the USA, some japanese car makers tripled the wages of their workers to keep in compliance with the agreement. And that was a very good thing.

And as for the black college thing. The only reason for the bill in the first place was because Senate Republicans refused to extend funding for those black colleges but allowed it to lapse.

19 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

He did, he surely did. He DID have corporate experience at least, experience being "the boss" of a company with thousands of employees and billions in assets.  Most Democratic candidates have never run so much as a lemonade stand in their lives.  

He beat a large field of very well qualified and experienced politicians to win the nomination. He then beat a "shoo-in" candidate to win the presidency.  Says something for his political instincts. 

As for it being a disaster, depends on your point of view. If you like low unemployment,  energy independence,  criminal justice reform, funding of historically black colleges stretching for 10 years, peace in the Middle East, and trade deals, then it wasn't so bad.

Trump's corporate experience was a disaster.  5 bankruptcies.  Thousands of investors losing money.  Starting with millions when he was just 2 or 3.  There's a huge difference between running a business and running a government.  HUGE.  Even have different types of accountants for this.  It's a big difference.

What's more important is your knowledge of laws and how the government operates.  We are a nation of laws, and they get created by congress.  Trump knows nothing about these things.

18 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Fair enough. There are idiots enough to go around at all points on the political spectrum.  

Agreed.  But seem to be more nuts on the far right.  Supporting QAnon?  Seriously?  Insane.

Edited by Jeffr2
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Watch the above video, the last part.  Stunning.