Tokyu announce closure in Thailand; latest Japanese store to end operations in Thailand after 35 years

webfact

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Hah.  My bit of seaweed in the window says this is rubbish. It's genuine seaweed from Patpong as well.

@Grumpy John.

A long time ago people would hang a bit of dry seaweed outside, under cover, and if it started to look damp or whatever then it was believed that it would rain soon. Yeh, I know, not a patch on Micheal Fish. ????????

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i went there today. this is as close to Geisha as I could find.

20201029_162454.jpg

20201029_163741.jpg

Have not worn since living in Chitose some 60 years ago but they are great - one belt slip from dressed to not for the night.  

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

This store has given up the ghosts long time now together with the mass exodus of many of the Japanese ex patriots, our large condo was full of them, only a couple left now...

I agree...Tokyu and Isetan came in to service the huge influx of Japanese expatriates during the Japanese investment boom of the '80s and '90s...Japanese pop culture was like Korea today...cool and attracted a Thai crowd as well. However, having one stand-alone location is not a very viable strategy. With the growth of the Central Group and The Mall retail groups there is really no place for foreign department stores in Thailand. The Takashimiya at Icon Siam is nothing but a vanity project...not to make any money.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The company has blamed high competition in department stores and the retail sector in general and a severe downturn in customers due to the pandemic. 

It ain't over yet, spending power has diminished since last year never mind blaming Covid for everything.

15 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Please allow me to ensure you that Isetan and Tokyu department stores are not the Japanese government but entities that sell goods for profit, nothing more.  

And notice that Isetan Bangkok is a small branch, in Singapore is a huge one...also in Tokyo.

16 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Please allow me to ensure you that Isetan and Tokyu department stores are not the Japanese government but entities that sell goods for profit, nothing more.  

That much is clear. However, the are private entities that see the writing on the wall. A declining economy here, for a long time to come, and decreased purchasing power, due to lack of imagination, fear, paranoia, very, very small men in charge, and dinosaur leadership. Things need to change, and they need to change fast. 

• Like 1