All New MSX Grom

JonnyF

I'm not really into scooters so I've always preferred these these slightly smaller 'normal' styled bikes for day to day stuff. I still have an old 2007 KSR110 that started off being used around Phuket dirt/jungle/beach tracks, then spent a few years as a Bangkok city bike and is now used as a farm/711 bike. They ride like a proper bike with gears, a tank, controls in the right place but they're also great in traffic, decent tank capacity, easy to park in crowded areas, simple, bullet proof design etc.

Anyway, there's a new MSX Grom coming out. New 5 speed box up from 4 previously, ABS etc. 

They've got a few different styles this time, a Scrambler, a motard, adventure etc. Pretty cool I reckon. No good for giants, but much roomier than you'd imagine for anyone under 6 feet tall.

image.png.8eece78921e6898aa1617afc89bdf2ac.png

image.png.0d3779e194ee6ba594ed2d77517c5bcb.pngimage.png.dda6edbe20003f04c4cd0aa6593899cb.png

image.png.e323f3a476c5bfdb89f7c5f4e55fd01e.png

• Like 2

While they look funny, they have nearly only downsides compared to other bikes.

If somebody who is smaller than 1.6m wants a bike which looks kinda like a "real" motorbike and which is easy to handle for this person, then a Honda Grom is an option, but in every other circumstance there are better options.

Imho with the auto clutch it was better, a clutch is just annoying in traffic.

I think a Kawasaki D-Tracker 125 looks cooler than this Grom, while being quite similar size wise (maybe a bit taller), but it's not available as new anymore.

Edited by jackdd

14 minutes ago, jackdd said:

While they look funny, they have nearly only downsides compared to other bikes.

If somebody who is smaller than 1.6m wants a bike which looks kinda like a "real" motorbike and which is easy to handle for this person, then a Honda Grom is an option, but in every other circumstance there are better options.

Imho with the auto clutch it was better, a clutch is just annoying in traffic.

I think a Kawasaki D-Tracker 125 looks cooler than this Grom, while being quite similar size wise (maybe a bit taller), but it's not available as new anymore.

I'm not sure if you've ridden one but they're much taller than they look. The seat height is over 30 inches, less than an inch shorter than a Ninja 400 for example. They are actually quite roomy and you don't need to be under 1.6m to ride them. Over 1.8 might be an issue.

An auto clutch can be handy at times. I have (semi) auto on my KSR and it's useful around town if you need to faff about with other stuff while riding but I'd prefer a manual clutch personally as it provides more control of the bike.

The D tracker is a great bike as well, but I'd be getting the WR155 if I wanted a small motard style bike.

Nice updates, especially 5 gears. I quite like the Motard version. I've also heard the bigger engine of the 300 series is a drop-in. That would be quite cool. Not really looking into buying one as for small cc I prefer a scooter for utility reasons but I'm sure it would be a fun little run-around. Ridden one for a day when the first version came out couple years ago. I geared up fully and looked hilarious on that little bike. People got some good smiles out of it ????

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The Adventure one looks very pretty. Maybe a bit small for a real adventure though?

Maybe an adventure to the Amazon (coffee shop).

I did ride my KSR from Bangkok to Korat on a single tank of gas, so it's possible to do mini adventures ????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Nice updates, especially 5 gears. I quite like the Motard version. I've also heard the bigger engine of the 300 series is a drop-in. That would be quite cool. Not really looking into buying one as for small cc I prefer a scooter for utility reasons but I'm sure it would be a fun little run-around. Ridden one for a day when the first version came out couple years ago. I geared up fully and looked hilarious on that little bike. People got some good smiles out of it ????

Yeah the 5 speed should make it a bit better on the highway for sure. I like the scrambler version, but my gf just informed me she's got tax and PorLorBor for the old KSR for the first time in 2.5 years. Maybe she saw this being released before I did and predicted my interest ????

• Haha 2

Fat to small for me but extremely popular in my village and surrounding area for Chiang Rai. I see lots of your girls and guys on these. Of course the automatics seem to be the ubiquitous  ones for most youngster. The waves and equivalents are still the standard for the farmer and older crowd.

I was never bothered by the dream or waves semi auto as with the gear lever depressed your in neutral and can bring up your revs  So It was just a foot clutch on first pressure and gear engaged on release. Lots of fun to be had at a cheap price.

To my chagrin should a few of the local youngsters this sifting ability. And now they don't need a pillion hanging off the back to pull a wheelies 555