Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I want to be able to test the voltage from the plugs around the house, not only to see if they're safe, but also to know if they are delivering 240v, so it should incorporate a digital readout.

 

I've seen voltage pens on Lazada, but have no idea if they're any good.

 

Any suggestions please?

Edited by faraday
Glammar...
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This unit has the correct plug and RCD test current (30mA) for Thailand and is available in English or Thai.   https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i316566794-s634644284.html    

Yeah that's the one. Unfortunately these young whippersnappers of today don't realise we live in an Analogue world. In our first year we had this big old hand crank ring generator and we use

Agree a good multimeter should be great and no need to pay for a Fluke.  I have this model which is fully automatic and very well insulated and wires are internal so no chance of short at connectors/m

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, faraday said:

I want to be able to test the voltage from the plugs around the house, not only to see if they're safe, but also to know if they are delivering 240v, so it should incorporate a digital readout.

 

I've seen voltage pens on Lazada, but have no idea if they're any good.

 

Any suggestions please?

A voltage pen will not give a digital reading.

the voltage in the MEA  is a nominal 230V

the voltage in the PEA is a nominal 220V

neither the MEA nor the PEA maintains the nominal supply voltage,

my PEA supply is at 224V at the moment it will change during the day.

 

if in the Bangkok area you might see 240V once in a blue moon.

 

Lazada has everything from cheap dangerous rubbish through copy goods to quality products, it is just an aggregator not a shop. Caveat emptor

Edited by sometimewoodworker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably better to go with a good solid reputable branded meter like a Fluke.

Check Google and compare the range of Fluke meters.

There may be other meters that do the job, but if you are just starting out measuring spooky stuff that can kill you, I'd stay away from cheap unprotected meters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Probably better to go with a good solid reputable branded meter like a Fluke.

Check Google and compare the range of Fluke meters.

There may be other meters that do the job, but if you are just starting out measuring spooky stuff that can kill you, I'd stay away from cheap unprotected meters.

I can't see you getting a decent Fluke for much less than 16k baht. Mine cost £450 in the UK many years ago. However, copies can be dangerous.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, polpott said:
1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Probably better to go with a good solid reputable branded meter like a Fluke.

Check Google and compare the range of Fluke meters.

There may be other meters that do the job, but if you are just starting out measuring spooky stuff that can kill you, I'd stay away from cheap unprotected meters.

I can't see you getting a decent Fluke for much less than 16k baht. Mine cost £450 in the UK many years ago. However, copies can be dangerous.

Totally agree that any Fluke meter meter is total overkill for the OP's stated purpose of checking the AC voltage at the outlets of his home. This should do the trick, just select 600 V AC (one-click to the right) and when your finished turn it off (one-click back to the left).

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panda-home-xl830l-digital-lcd-multimeter-i245094416-s844982611.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree that any Fluke meter meter is total overkill for the OP's stated purpose of checking the AC voltage at the outlets of his home. This should do the trick, just select 600 V AC (one-click to the right) and when your finished turn it off (one-click back to the left).

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panda-home-xl830l-digital-lcd-multimeter-i245094416-s844982611.html

Agreed but be very wary when "testing for dead". Even with a Fluke, its recommended that you test it against an approved voltage source both before and after testing for dead.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A multi-meter is great, but something like this might be better. 
 

I will test the ground, check that the hot and neutral aren’t switched, the voltage and test that your breaker will actually trip in the event of you getting shocked.

 

 

5182EABB-A13C-481F-BDB6-3724F631DA7D.thumb.png.d9f11670758fddd7ec5b7a89ddf0009c.png 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

A multi-meter is great, but something like this might be better. 
 

I will test the ground, check that the hot and neutral aren’t switched, the voltage and test that your breaker will actually trip in the event of you getting shocked.

 

 

5182EABB-A13C-481F-BDB6-3724F631DA7D.thumb.png.d9f11670758fddd7ec5b7a89ddf0009c.png 

I have a Martindale. Problem is that its configured for UK sockets and not easy to use with an adaptor. Make sure its configured for Thai sockets. A very useful tool though. Only useful for testing sockets, it can't test any other circuits.

 

 

Edited by polpott
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree that any Fluke meter meter is total overkill for the OP's stated purpose of checking the AC voltage at the outlets of his home. This should do the trick, just select 600 V AC (one-click to the right) and when your finished turn it off (one-click back to the left).

 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panda-home-xl830l-digital-lcd-multimeter-i245094416-s844982611.html

110 baht??

Amazing price.

 

Anyone know what is the difference between the DT830L and XL830L models?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree a good multimeter should be great and no need to pay for a Fluke.  I have this model which is fully automatic and very well insulated and wires are internal so no chance of short at connectors/meter and points are also very small and well protected.  It has worked very well for me in the 2 or 3 years I have been using it.   About 500 baht but a lot safer than the 1-200 baht models.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huayi-ms8231-household-type-automatic-digital-multimeter-universal-meter-without-shifting-intelligent-anti-burning-high-precision-i1624098256-s4464030460.html?

image.png.fb653f51ecbd09ad2c40e83335d87816.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...