Voltage Tester

faraday

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Charging up small paper capacitors with the insulation tester (500V DC) and then leaving them lying around for unsuspecting apprentices to "fetch for me please" was a favourite trick when I was an apprentice and later when I wasn't :whistling: 

Health and Safety what's that?

I also had some lengths of sleeving with crocodile clips on the end, hours of fun watching the poor lads trying to fault find their circuits.

The good old days.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

I've got a Habotest unit on order, should be here Saturday, I'll report on it's operation.

Tester has arrived, works fine, seems to be well put together, the N-E voltage meter is a handy addition (4V between the TN-C-S house earth and the TT car-port earth).

Only minor issue is that the RCD test button needs a good press to make it work, but it has an LED so if the lights and the RCD doesn't trip you have a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Tester has arrived, works fine, seems to be well put together, the N-E voltage meter is a handy addition (4V between the TN-C-S house earth and the TT car-port earth).

Only minor issue is that the RCD test button needs a good press to make it work, but it has an LED so if the lights and the RCD doesn't trip you have a problem.

Does it check the "polarity" correctly without a ground if you use an appropriate adaptor? 

11 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Does it check the "polarity" correctly without a ground if you use an appropriate adaptor? 

No, it just indicates "open ground", but that's not really surprising. You can use a simple neon screwdriver on your 2-pin outlets.

It also can't detect N-E swapped, although in this case plugging in any load would trip your RCD/RCBO anyway. I've not tried it but I suspect the RCD test wouldn't trip the RCD in this case.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

No, it just indicates "open ground", but that's not really surprising. You can use a simple neon screwdriver on your 2-pin outlets.

It also can't detect N-E swapped, although in this case plugging in any load would trip your RCD/RCBO anyway. I've not tried it but I suspect the RCD test wouldn't trip the RCD in this case.

Hi Crossy. So you'de recommend it?