Deserted Pattaya: One person's nighttime stroll shows desperate state of resort

webfact

I never liked the place but I am just one and there are a great many who think the opposite, my son included when came with some friends a while back. But I don't like to see any town turn out this way simply because there are many people who have built their whole lives there, probably some generations before them too. Suddenly a 'tsunami' hits and it's all but gone, metaphorically speaking. What can they do? Well, there are only two options; either wait and hope tourism will return or get some serious, genuine estimates of what could be done to change its function and perhaps give jobs to at least some. Whatever option is chosen it isn't going to easy or instant and those members here who know the area well will probably have some idea whether or not the Pattaya people are even willing to change.

• Like 2

Just now, windas said:

Hi friends

This is the perfect time to start all the promised engineering works and more, as there is no traffic to disrupt.

Sadly the opportunity will no doubt be missed. There is at least a 1 year window.

Dreaming on.

Not to mention crazy low interest rates to finance said projects.

10 minutes ago, tpinvest said:

I first visited Thailand in December 1973 - happy days!!!- and it's been on a downhill slide ever since, so sad to reflect on it. Retirement plans cancelled when Farang status relegated from 2nd class to 3rd class.

They need to put 800,000  into our account as an inducement to put up with what they are doling out, not to confiscate our hard earned pension cash.

Not alone in these negative thoughts

So does Pattaya have different rules on retirement visas than the rest of Thailand.?

Just asking.....

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tpinvest said:

I first visited Thailand in December 1973 - happy days!!!- and it's been on a downhill slide ever since, so sad to reflect on it. Retirement plans cancelled when Farang status relegated from 2nd class to 3rd class.

They need to put 800,000  into our account as an inducement to put up with what they are doling out, not to confiscate our hard earned pension cash.

Not alone in these negative thoughts

I'm not having a go at you but i've heard that same refrain so many times it becomes meaningless to me.

8 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... ewww, what's that, ectoplasmatic slime all over them trees? No doubt of alien (as in extraterrestrial) origin, so I wouldn't go there either ... 

9 minutes ago, philba said:

A cum pier ????

Alien ladyboys.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, TKDfella said:

But I don't like to see any town turn out this way simply because there are many people who have built their whole lives there, probably some generations before them too.

Bit difficult for more than one generation to build their life in Pattaya, unless one includes the fisherfolk that were the only inhabitants. Far as I know it only took off in the 70s, and didn't get anywhere near the present size till the 80s, probably after the 747 allowed mass tourism.

However, there could be a few bargirls that followed their mother into the trade.

• Like 1