install a Blu-Ray player on Desktop PC with Windows 10

fvw53

I want to back up my many Blu-Ray DVD's on an external HD ( I did already the same with my standard DVD's using a HD DVD player)

I have two Blu-Ray players : one is a 6 year old Samsung BD-F5100 and now I have a new AJ D-828 BD

When I connect them (to the power and to the HDMI port) they do not show up in the Device Manager

I have good excellent software to play with the Blu-Ray video but first I need to find out how to get the Blu-Ray player detected

Did any TV Forum members succeed and is kind enough to tell me how?

Edited by fvw53
typo

You would  most likely need a PC Blu Ray drive  like this

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/16995/8/DVD-RW-ASUS-BLURAY-16D1HT-PRO--BLACK-

then use some ripping software   like this

https://www.makemkv.com/

The  Samsung BD-F5100   might be able to hook up to a PC via the LAN port and  you might be able to use VLC installed on the PC to "record" the  disc in real-time  ie: slow   and  probably not the full quality but worth trying first.

Edited by johng
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, johng said:

You would  most likely need a PC Blu Ray drive  like this

https://www.jib.co.th/web/index.php/product/readProduct/16995/8/DVD-RW-ASUS-BLURAY-16D1HT-PRO--BLACK-

then use some ripping software   like this

https://www.makemkv.com/

The  Samsung BD-F5100   might be able to hook up to a PC via the LAN port and  you might be able to use VLC installed on the PC to "record" the  disc in real-time  ie: slow   and  probably not the full quality but worth trying first.

Thank you but I do not think that if my (new) HP desktop PC with Win 10 cannot detect a Samsung or an AJ it will detect the ASUS player your recommend

www.makemkv.com looks good but only after the Blu-Ray player is detected and is operational

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

The HDMI port is for video output and not an input port. At least if you take the one from the graphic card. 

Thank you but the HDMI port on my desktop PC is next to 3 USB ports and the latter are used as input for playback from external HD / I would be surprised if the HDMI port is only for output

1 minute ago, fvw53 said:

Thank you but the HDMI port on my desktop PC is next to 3 USB ports and the latter are used as input for playback from external HD / I would be surprised if the HDMI port is only for output

What motherboard do you have? 

1 hour ago, ravip said:

What are the 'signal out' connections available on your Blue Ray and what are the 'signal in' available on your PC?

(I doubt if it is possible to connect these Blue-rays to your PC)

Yes they made it rather difficult to connect to a PC  due to  not wanting people to "backup"   or in other words copy the Blu Ray discs...there are HDMI recording devices  that could work  but again it would  record in real time and  quality maybe compromised.

10 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Thank you but I do not think that if my (new) HP desktop PC with Win 10 cannot detect a Samsung or an AJ it will detect the ASUS player your recommend

The drive I pointed to is specifically designed to work in a PC  I very much doubt your PC would not detect it

as it connects to a   PC SATA port   inside the PC.

The Blu Ray players you have are stand alone  but   The  Samsung BD-F5100   might be able to hook up to a PC via the LAN port    have you tried that yet ?

Edited by johng

2 hours ago, fvw53 said:

www.makemkv.com looks good but only after the Blu-Ray player is detected and is operational

The ASUS player recommend via the link is one made specially to be connected/mounted internally in a PC. Maybe, it might need a driver to be installed, and if so, when you buy it the driver CD or whatever will be included.

The two players you already have are  normal domestic type, meant to be connected to a TV or monitor.

Just because the HDMI port is located next to an USB port in your PC, does not mean it is an input.

Example >>> My HP 4530s has the HDMI port next to the USB ports, but is an output.

pc.jpg

Edited by ravip

On 10/29/2020 at 3:23 PM, johng said:

Yes they made it rather difficult to connect to a PC  due to  not wanting people to "backup"   or in other words copy the Blu Ray discs...there are HDMI recording devices  that could work  but again it would  record in real time and  quality maybe compromised.

The drive I pointed to is specifically designed to work in a PC  I very much doubt your PC would not detect it

as it connects to a   PC SATA port   inside the PC.

The Blu Ray players you have are stand alone  but   The  Samsung BD-F5100   might be able to hook up to a PC via the LAN port    have you tried that yet ?

I tried via the LAN port but again no sign on life / playback

On 10/29/2020 at 2:56 PM, BritManToo said:

Why repeat what someone has already done?

Just download Blu-ray rips of whatever quality you want.

I'm with BritManToo on this one. If you already have the manufactured Blu-ray DVDs then just find the corresponding torrent version online, as then extraction work is already done for you, download and save THAT video file to your hard drive collection.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fvw53 said:

I tried via the LAN port but again no sign on life / playback

The idea of the LAN port is the connection to a router (Internet) and to media servers. 

Your Blu-Ray player is no Blu-Ray drive. With the drive you can copy data. Read about Blu-Ray ripping on the internet. 

On 10/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, fvw53 said:

I want to back up my many Blu-Ray DVD's on an external HD ( I did already the same with my standard DVD's using a HD DVD player)

I have two Blu-Ray players : one is a 6 year old Samsung BD-F5100 and now I have a new AJ D-828 BD

When I connect them (to the power and to the HDMI port) they do not show up in the Device Manager

I have good excellent software to play with the Blu-Ray video but first I need to find out how to get the Blu-Ray player detected

Did any TV Forum members succeed and is kind enough to tell me how?

As aforementioned, you need a BluRay player for your PC. Not only that, but if you have any 4k BluRay discs you'll need a specific BluRay player; as most don't have the ability to bypass the copy protection.

LG WH16NS40

ASUS BC-12D2HT

LG BH16NS40

ASUS BW-16D1HT

are suitable candidates.