"If I'd known I was going to live this long.....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have taken better care of my teeth". Not my quote, but it's appropriate. I'm 78 now and have 20 teeth left out of the 32 I would have if I'd looked after them better. Fortunately most of those

Implants may be a better solution than dentures. I had tooth decay because of medicine; lost eight teeth the same way you describe. I got implants 20 years ago, and they work perfectly, although they

I have taken great care of my teeth all my life.  Brushing numerous times a day and flossing. Believe it or not my Dentist told me weak or bad tooth problems can be hereditary. My results in

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Implants may be a better solution than dentures. I had tooth decay because of medicine; lost eight teeth the same way you describe. I got implants 20 years ago, and they work perfectly, although they are more expensive than dentures.

I think the cost of implants I need to replace 12 teeth may be prohibitive, and there may be more to come out yet.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I have taken great care of my teeth all my life.  Brushing numerous times a day and flossing.

Believe it or not my Dentist told me weak or bad tooth problems can be hereditary.

My results in my 60's has been 9 crowns, 4 implants, numerous root canals cannot even remember several fillings and a bridge.

One time I took a bite of Chocolate chip ice cream and cracked a tooth on a chip.

As I have always gotten everything fixed my teeth are straight and fairly white so it looks good.  But, I have spent a fortune over the years getting it all fixed.

I don't know how old you are, but floss wasn't around when I was young and there wasn't the same importance placed on dental care. I knew guys in their early 20's that had full dentures.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, giddyup said:

I think the cost of implants I need to replace 12 teeth may be prohibitive, and there may be more to come out yet.

It is possible to make a bridge if the teeth are situated next to each other. That would make it somewhat less expensive.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Like to point out that as you age - and especially if you are a smoker or on some medication - the bone density of your jaw could diminish. I have a small denture as I have been told my jaw may not take implants.

Best thing in my life now, is finding the right woman that loves me, will take care of me until I die and who really could not give a hoot if I have a denture or not !

That is correct. But it is possible to insert bone into the thinner density area. I know someone who had bone extracted from the hip and put in the lower jawline in order to accommodate implants. It worked out very well, but was not cheap. Many thousands of pounds for that work. 

I just wish I had been born in a generation where fluoridation of water supply was an accepted practice, that way I would have avoided shelling out enough to buy at least one dentist a Mercedes. Ever noticed how many of them drive that marque?

I've always had cavity prone teeth, mouthful of fillings, three implants and a partial denture in Thailand. I still remember being in a dental chair at Ram Hospital in Chiang Mai for a total of 36 hours.

My former wife had the same problem, same generation.

We fed our son fluoride drops as a baby. He has had two fillings in his entire life, 47 yo. Contrary to the claims of the anti-fluoride wingnuts, he's smarter than I am.

• Like 1

My teeth visible for others are luckily still OK.

The molar / pre molar teeth have seen better days. I hate going to a dentist and only go once the pain is unbearable.

Soups and Smoothies are on the Menu for me.

• Like 1